Sex, sexuality, committment, & virtual reality.

Started by Nothing on under cloak., January 17, 2004, 04:28:33 PM

Quote from: "Candi"The person who is a 98% IC player is suddenly too indignant to contemplate muddying their performance with smut (btw: I'm not talking about You, I just meant all the Other ones. :mrgreen: )  I gotta tell you, smut is fun people!  

There are a few factors in play here, but the important part is that it is a-ok to roleplay through intimate situations if all the people involved want to.  If you decide to do it on the balcony of the Bard's Barrel or the Byn barracks there may be realistic IC consequences, ranging from wolf-whistles to a visit with a Templar who just happened to be walking by and didn't want to see your grubby commoner ass in the air, to a thief who takes your moment of distraction as a good opportunity to steal your pants.  If there is ever a good time to sap, backstab or steal from a person it's while they are distracted by a hot piece of ass.  OOCly, there is no problem with mudsexing yourself blue in the face if you want to, as long as it is appropriate behavior for your character, and most characters would be happy to get laid.

The tricky part is that some people don't want to be involved in it, sexual roleplay isn't what they are looking for.  So there are some conventions around it.  Like if you are using the "review" flag you turn it off before you get oiled up, just as a courtesy.  

You have to get OOC consent, that is that everyone has to clearly agree to play out the senario, because some people do have OOC things that make watching or participating in a sex scene uncomfortable for them.  That goes double for a rape or torture scene.  You can rape someone without IC permission (duh, if you had permission it wouldn't be rape) but since the other _Player_ may not want to see that, you have to get OOC permsion to emote it out blow by blow.  That makes sense.

Some people find sex really funny if they aren't actually turned on.  The sounds, the smells, the whole situation.  Despite what romance novels would have us belive, many of the parts involved are kinda funny looking.  Describing the body parts involved means using words that are either clinical, insulting, or absurd.  Can anyone really read phrases like "steely manhood" or "honey hole" and not break out laughing?  I tried buying a copy of Playgirl once, the pictures certainly didn't get me hot, mostly it was all pretty funny looking.  Thinking "hey, maybe this means I'm gay" I got a copy of Hustler, but those pictures were all pretty funny looking too.  Genitals are funny looking, and pretty disappointing if you've been reading stories describing things "standing at attention," being "ramrod straight" or "velvet steal" and don't even get me started on "openening like a flower."  :P  Is there anything inherently less sexy than mucus?  Yet mucus is an essential part of sex.  (Possibly proving that God or Mother Nature has a sense of humour).  To me mudsex is pure comic relief.  Oh, and don't forget the high mutation rate, some characters may have a surprise waiting for you under their loincloth.  I once had a PC with vaginal teeth, saddly she didn't ever get to show them off.  :mrgreen:

Other people may just be uncertain about how to go about it.  They may or may not be virgins, but they are on-line virgins.  No mud-sex, not chat-sex, no email-sex.  They don't no how one goes about describing the scene, they've never done it and they've never seen it done.  The people making out on the balcony of the Bard's Barrel may be performing a public service, allowing an audience to stand on the street below and watch.  :twisted:  If you want to help, perhaps you could post some cybersex logs on your website, so all the mudsex virgins can see how it is done.

Then there are people who are concerned about the legal issues.  There is no way to tell absolutely who is on the other computer.  If it is a minor and Mansa's mom sees it, than you could get into trouble for corrupting a minor or something even worse.  "I swear, she typed like she was 18" will get you even less sympathy than claiming she looked like she was 18.  The danger probably isn't that great, but it is something some people are concerned about.  There are plenty of people playing here that are over 30, if it turns out that their mudsex buddy was only 14 then the authorities will tend to assume the adult knew it and is a pedophilic sexual predator.  An 18 or 19 year old might get away with it, a 45 year old probably won't.

Many people have had unpleasant sexual experience in real life.  They may want to allow their character to have a warm, loving relationship but not want to roleplay through penetration because it is unsettling for them.  The consent rule protects them, allowing them to go as far as they are comfortable without feeling they need to do something they really do not want to do just to prove they are good roleplayers.

There are many reasons to not emote through a sexual situation, and many players that choose not to.

There are also reasons to do it.  Some players find it fun.  Some want to know -exactly- what happened because the details will effect their character's development.  For example: was it your basic missionary shag, or something more exotic?  Did the first person to "finish" want to just roll over and go to sleep, or did they keep giving their all untill everyone involved was satisfied with the outcome?  Some players are just so elite that they have to emote the exact maner in which the slurp their soup or take a shit, and they use the same high standards when it comes to describing the way they grind their hips or the way their pupils dialate when they are really turned on.

Do it.  Don't do it.  Despite what you may get from the GDB crowd, I doubt most players care what your character does in private.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Well since Shaleah used quotation marks to make her comment and incredibly wrong assumption (you know what happens when you assume), and I'm the only one who put what she quoted into those exact words...I'll respond as if it was directed toward me.

The reason I said "it seems" the Arabet don't do much else besides have sex, is because the *official* documentation clearly states that the Arabet are an incredibly libido-driven group.  If you took my comments personally, perhaps you might want to look at your own behaviors and ask yourself why you took them that way. I have no idea who you play, and so obviously my comments couldn't possibly have been directed toward you.

I've met a few Arabet PCs over the past year. Some seem to be all about the sex. Some focus more on their dancing and being graceful in their movements. If you'll re-read that paragraph - in fact, that exact sentence, you'll see that I was using the Arabet as a humorous semi-tongue-in-cheek example to show why most people would -not- spend all that much *real life* time under the sheets. Unless you're an Arabet, or a dwarf with a kinky focus - I mean really, MUST I add those insipid smiley faces after every thought?

Your sentence was sandwiched in an entire paragraph that complained about why some people can't stand knowing that there are mudsexers. And since you used my quote as your example, it seems (see that? it seems! Not it is, not YOU DID THIS..wow) as though the entire paragraph was directed toward me. I'll direct you to the paragraph preceding the one you quoted, where I stated (emphatically I might add)....

I'm all for the occasional complete and utter disregard for game time and let's get nekked and sweaty BAYBEE sex session.

So you can see that I have no problem with mudsex, as things go. I also have no problem with characters portrayed as people with healthy libidos. But (here it is again!!!!) UNLESS those characters are Arabets - who SEEM to be primarily concerned with sex and sensuality, or dwarves with a kinky focus, I don't think it's realistic or even much fun to have to interact with characters who show up for the -express- purpose of getting laid.

Try real hard to -not- read between the lines of my posts, Shaleah. I generally keep them nice and neat and clear of innuendo or hidden meanings.

-She who loathes smiley faces

I was eager to see what kind of response I would get from my post.  I was hoping for something that would really make me laugh.
And the Golden Cookie goes to.... AngelaChristine for
QuoteTo me mudsex is pure comic relief. Oh, and don't forget the high mutation rate, some characters may have a surprise waiting for you under their loincloth. I once had a PC with vaginal teeth, saddly she didn't ever get to show them off.  
*takes off her hat, sweeping it through the air and resting it upon her chest, and performs a low, exaggerated bow*  I salute you! :mrgreen:
he last thing in the world I want to do is to hurt you...
but it's still on the list.

Quote from: "Bestatte"
Try real hard to -not- read between the lines of my posts, Shaleah. I generally keep them nice and neat and clear of innuendo or hidden meanings.

Umm... okay.  *chuckle*

If you took my comments personally, perhaps you might want to look at your own behaviors and ask yourself why you took them that way. I have no idea who you play, and so obviously my comments couldn't possibly have been directed toward you.

I didn't take your comment "personally" Bestatte, I took your comment literally.

Unless you're an Arabet, whose primary function seems to be to have sex, or a dwarf, who could possibly create a focus to set some kind of kinky record, there just isn't room for that much cybersex in any given character's life.

That comment could be seen as insulting. -You- clearly don't believe so and as a result of my using your comment as an example of typical, anti-sexual-roleplay behaviour, you felt the need to retort as if I had personally attacked you.

Try real hard to -not- read between the lines of -my- posts, Bestatte. I generally keep them nice and neat and clear of innuendo or hidden meanings.  If you took my comments personally, perhaps you might want to look at -your- own behaviors and ask yourself why you took them that way. I have no idea who you play, and so obviously my comments couldn't possibly have been directed toward you.  Next time, you can just ask me if I meant to say something to -you- rather than just use a comment you made as an example.

She who thinks people should practice what they preach... and lighten the fuck up   :wink:
I'm taking an indeterminate break from Armageddon for the foreseeable future and thereby am not available for mudsex.
In law a man is guilty when he violates the rights of others. In ethics he is guilty if he only thinks of doing so.

I have to agree with Shaleah on this one. I took the comment about Arabet and dwarves with single minded sexual focuses as insulting as well. Having just reread the documentation on both dwarves AND Arabet, I do not see anything that states "These pc's are intended as blow up sexual toys, please roleplay them accordingly". What I see is a document that stresses the need to keep clan numbers up for a tribal clan that has no steady home terrain in a game that is harsh and brutal. I see a documentation that actually discusses how bloodlines are established and maintained and sets out details for a mating ceremony. Not a "hey baby, flip up that loincloth and bend over" ceremony. I think perhaps a large of the problem goes back to one simple statement.

If you do not like mudsex, don't do it: Don't talk about it, don't complain about it, don't hold yourself up as holier or purer than someone who does and don't nag endlessly and forever on the GDB about those who do practice netsex.

The game is multifaceted for a reason. Go whack a gurth if you don't want to go whack a dwarf. Whatever but for the love of all that is holy, can we PLEASE stop bashing people for chosing to roleplay out the intimate details of their characters lives?

This message expresses the opinions of this staff member only and is not designed to reflect the feelings of the staff as a whole. Limited time offer. Send 4.95 for shipping and handling and allow 6 to 8 years for delivery.

Mekeda

Quote from: "Mekeda"What I see is a document that stresses the need to keep clan numbers up for a tribal clan that has no steady home terrain in a game that is harsh and brutal.
I find people's reaction to that interesting then. *goes off and reads the docs*

Yeah. I don't see anything saying that "Arabet's are sexaholics." I see a doc that goes on about families and keeping the population alive. I've also had tribals whose traditions went from having an orgy once and never ever having sex again, to leaving the tribe for extended periods of time and coming back to bonk every female to them having to bonk females as a job and bonking guys for pleasure to seeing any form of sex as a duty and not a pleasureable act.

One thing most of my tribals have in common is having sex ceremonies. This is because I don't like to play in the wilds with a VNPC tribe, but prefer to get sent off to scout or whatever. I then make that a typical aspect of certain people in my tribe so the need for sex ceremonies is quite large to keep the population up.

I agree with Mekeda that people who can't stand mudsex should refrain from discussing it.

That is why I have no problem discussing it - since I have stated clearly in my recent and previous posts in other threads - that I have nothing against it. I just really don't like having to RP -at all- with anyone who RPs with me for the singular purpose of mudsex, because it makes their character flat and one-dimensional, and it's not the primary reason I RP.

Fortunately I don't see much of that in Armageddon.

Quote from: "John"
Quote from: "Gorobei"Zalanthas differs from ancient Greece in the fact that heterosexuals in homosexual relationships wouldn't be the norm.
Why would it differ? Other then Zalanthas not being ancient Greece ;)

In ancient Greece, if I've been correctly informed, the belief was that women were soil to plant your seed, and men were the only beings you could share true love with.  It was a sign of status to have a sexual relationship with your superiors, as well, and was standard practise.
What I meant was, on Zalanthas is wouldn't really matter who's bed your sharing, so heterosexuals would generally have heterosexual relationships.  Same goes for homosexuals.  Therefore, most people would be having heterosexual relationships, and nothing else.

May I have your In-Game Way-Number, Candi? :)

*emotes the best mudsex ever emoted in the history of Armageddon to seduce Candi*

This is not the actual emote, this is only a tribute to the best cybersex session you've ever had.

Quote from: "Guest"May I have your In-Game Way-Number, Candi? :)

*emotes the best mudsex ever emoted in the history of Armageddon to seduce Candi*

This is not the actual emote, this is only a tribute to the best cybersex session you've ever had.

There shined a shiny demon....in the middle...of the mudsex.  AND HE SAID

Um, sex is dirty.  Um-kay.
And mudsex is bad.  Um-kay.

Gods.  I dunno.  I somehow feel that the original focus of this thread just got lost somewhere along the way.  I keep coming back to it to see and occasionally post because, like most primates and all homonid species in existence (sapiens sapiens being the only one left at this time...that we know of), I'm just insatiably curious about what others are gonna say here on this topic!

I dunno who Miss Candi is, but girl...your post was quite amusing!  Thanks for your input and sarcastic wit.   :twisted:

The only problem I really see with roleplaying out a sexual scene (so long as only consenting adults are involved), is the RL to IC time ratio, as other have already pointed out.  But I've also had conversations last for DAYS IC.  Is it realistic for someone to talk for days and days?!  Hell no, but we do it in Zalanthas.  Why?  Because it is more important to maintain the IC integrity of the situation, and allow conversation/activity to develop than it is to conform to the time conventions of the game world.  So long as this doesn't happen all the time and disrupt what would be considered a normal flow of activity for a person's IC life, I see no freakin' problem with it...no matter what sort of IC interaction is going on.

Let's face it, folks.  If we all conformed completely to the time progression of Zalanthas, NOTHING ICly worthwhile would EVER get done in ArmageddonMud!  So why should sexual roleplay be any different?

Now that isn't to say that I think roleplayed sexual activity should last for days and days, and be engaged in every IC week.  That would be going overboard, and limit your character and game experience in alot of ways.

My interest in roleplayed sexual activity centers around the bonding experience.  Besides being nifty for procreation and tension release, sex is a BONDING experience between people.  No, I'm not trying to say that you should make room in your life to everyone you fuck (sometimes a fuck is just a fuck.  Somtimes it is deeper and more personal).  Characters in game should experience bonding and I've found that roleplaying out intimacy helps to create that in the game.

Sure, I like titillation.  Sure, erotic art and literature is titillating.  Sure sexual roleplay often falls into that category.  But the point of sexual roleplay with me isn't to get off.  That, I can do on my own, or with my mate.   :wink:

As for the talk about mucous and the other 'messy' aspects of sex.  What's wrong with mucous?  It coats the insides of your lungs, your esophagus, stomach, bowels, nose, constitutes the bulk of your sexual fluids....it's the body's primary defense against airborne disease!  But the BEST thing about mucous is that it's slippery and wet!

Sex is SUPPOSED to be a primal, messy, salty-sweet, sweaty, slippery, wet business.  IMHO that makes it all the more appealing.  I love the mess!!!
But, what do I know?  I'm just a dirty little monkey.
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

Quote from: "Guest"May I have your In-Game Way-Number, Candi? :)

*Claps her hands together merrily and Squeals with excitement*  :twisted:

(Just kidding! Please don't PM me about how this wouldn't be good RP, *crosses her eyes and sticks out her tongue*)
he last thing in the world I want to do is to hurt you...
but it's still on the list.