Ice elementalist...

Started by ashjpd, January 06, 2004, 12:05:48 AM

You think there should be an Ice elementalist added?

A-Yes
12 (12.8%)
B-No
82 (87.2%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Voting closed: January 06, 2004, 12:05:48 AM

Why -shouldn't- they exist?

It's been thought of several of the existing magicker classes that may or may not be able to use them.  It makes magick -that- much scarier and -cooler-.  It makes it -that- much more mysterious.  Plus...what happened to all those people who wanted magickers to be scarier?  Hellooooo?

Thusfar, the only reasons for them to exist were...hmm...

'Ice doesn't exist on Zalanthas.'  Right.  Which is why these spells would be so nice.  Just because it doesn't exist doesn't mean it can't be used.  WATER -does- exist, and if a magicker can manipulate his magick to make it into ice, what's wrong with that?  If a water elementalist can up and make water, I see no difference with ice.  This is magick we're talking about.

'Ice isn't an element.'  Ice is the element of water in a different state.  Much the same as other spells already in game.  Think of Elkros.

Sooooo....I still haven't seen a reason why someone can't submit some ice spells and have them entered in the game, pending staff approval.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: "ashjpd"Wouldn't it be cool? I think it would. Or maybe an elementalist with the power to freeze things would be better. Maybe the water elementalist would have the power to freeze the water they create? I haven't been playing the game long, but I think this would be pretty fun. It would add more to the game in many ways.

For example:
You wake up with your hunter character one day..
You head out to go hunt for some gortok up north...
Until finding a gortok in the middle of the road, frozen, not moving at all.

shrug*
:lol:

Ok...You have got to be kidding right? Even if you could turn it to ice, do you know how quickly it would melt and evaporate.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

If you really think it would exist (which I can't agree with unless you're talking about some seriously wicked sorcerer spells, and you never know with those freaks) then write up the spells for the appropriate element, why and how you think it should exist, and send it in to the mud. Ultimately, they're the only ones that can decide.

I wouldn't be so sure that there is no ice on Zalanthas, or even know ice within the coded part of Zalanthas.  I haven't seen ice either, but I have seen places that were decribed as cold.  There are mountains on the east and west of the known world, I wouldn't be surprised to see ice deposits on the mountain peaks.  Not huge deposits, because of the low humidity, but I don't think it is impossible that ice exists outside the settled areas.

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

Ice in a desert atmosphere=slush in minutes.

Reasons against:

1) Ice is not an element, merely a derivative of water.
2) IC sense: makes none.
3) Enough magicking guilds as is.

Reasons for:

1) Would make a -perfect- addition to the current spells list of a vivaduan. Perhaps only a master of water would learn of control of ice, and only then through tomes?

So basically meaning that there would be no ice spells. Right.

Well, im not in favor of their being a seperate guild, I could see some spells, thats about it.

Im not sure if there is ice on Zalanthas or not, but I know that it is cold enough for there to be in one place.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

I don't see them being a class unto themselves.
I could see, maybe, -maybe-, a spell or two.

Just because we don't have them doesn't mean we should.
I mean, you could use the same arguments for a Zalanthas condom.

What makes you think there aren't condoms?  Condoms have been around for thousands of years.  It is not a high tech item.

Which brings to mind another spell, "Cold Shower".

AC
Treat the other man's faith gently; it is all he has to believe with."     Henry S. Haskins

I am in favor of this class.

I think it should be one of the highest karma classes though..
up there with sorcs and psionisists.  Nothing seems more unnatural and unlikely to exist in Zalanthas than ice.  It would take insane power to conjure it in any form that wouldn't melt in a manner of seconds.
"Never do today what you can put off till tomorrow."

-Aaron Burr

See, the thing is....there is no fundamental difference between water and ice...they are really the same substance, just a different form...so I say, just bump up the karma for vivaduans, and add ice-based spells...

Do we even know that these don't exist already??
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Being honest, I see no reason to bump up the Karma for the Viv. But I do say add a few ice spells to their reputuare (sp?). Forget the new class, and just hook the Viv up a bit more.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Ok, but only if we get to chant "Ice Ice baby" while casting freeze spells.

AC

There are currently no plans to implement Ice Elementalists.

Hmmm.

Would it be unacceptable to think up perhaps a few icy spells and send it in to staff, Sanvean?  Or is this pretty much a no to ice altogether?  I've sent in a couple spells in the past, and was told they were good, but I'm not sure if they were thought appropriate to put in-game.

You guys could decide what to do with them, perhaps it could be as someone said and only a high-powered sorcerer would find access to it.  *shrug*
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I don't mind seeing spells - although Vivaduans have more spells than any other class at the moment, so other elements may take priority.

If we want to submit spell ideas, can we come up with the whole incantation as well?  Or just the basic idea?
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

What I would suggest is the following:

Send in:

1) The Name of the Spell (usually tentative).
    2) The Element of the spell (Ruk, Whira, Vivadu, etc).
    3) A full description of the spell: This means a full description of what the spell is supposed to
do. Include how using different powerlevels will affect things.
4) Messages seen when casting: What the character sees upon success/failure; what the target sees upon success/failure; what other people in the room see upon success/failure.
5) Suggest possible spell words (optional).
6) If you are familiar with the guilds, suggest a logical place for the spell to branch (optional).
[/list]

There you go.
Tlaloc
Legend

When I made this post, I was pretty tired, so that tells you something.
I think that making it possible for a spell or two to make water into ice would be nice. And yes, I think it would melt quickly, but if you freeze something that is living, such as a gortok, it will be died, then it will melt, and then it wont matter anyways. I agree that ice could exist up in the mountains, but only really high up. Me, living in Utah would know this.

So a "No" for a new guild for ice elementalist, but a "Yes" for some new spells on the same subject. I would say you would start out only making the water colder, and once the Magicker progresses and learns to advance in the spells, it will start to freeze, even a little.
uppers.

Ice would be interesting, I suppose.  Though I'd imagine it a bit difficult to code?  What would you do with it anyway?  I'm not drinking any fecking drinks with damned magicker-cursed water-rocks in it!

I can see it now.. I make a rugged hunter type and he stumbles upon a frozen silt-horror.
emote attempts to sneak up on a frozen, scary-looking thing.
emote jumps down and throws sand over !me person.
emote slowly crawls, soundless as they sneak up on ~frozen.
emote jumps up and screams, throwing ~dagger at ~frozen.
emote runs and jumps onto ~frozen, accidently letting thier tongue get stuck to ~frozen.

Say (Slightly muffled by the use of the frozen tongue) Sum`udy `elp me!
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

well judging by the votes, it is no contest, but would more poeple vote for freezing as a spell? Or something of that sort...
uppers.