Proposal.

Started by Thanos, December 21, 2003, 02:01:20 PM

Along the thread of Ranger Sanctuary I had been thinking about a ranger being able to use his knowledge of the land, of shifting winds, his keen observation skill and all that to get through dangerous sands safely. On further thought I had wondered if this might not be more easily accomplished with an addition to the look command.

When a rangers scan is sufficient he would be able to look into a room and detect if the rooms connecting to it were occupied.

Something along the lines of.

l n

[Far]
nothing
[Near]
nothing
*something to the east*

l out

Room Name
A room is here filled with all sorts of great description. Rooms branch off in all cardinal directions.
A bow-legged, knock-kneed kank rests here.
*something to the west*
*something to the west*
*something to the east*

So then the ranger could make the decision, taking into account his knowledge of local fauna, as to the risk of entering that room.

Thoughts?

Thanos
amsara: Stop harassing the idiots on the GDB

how about just a l nw,l sw,l ne, l se? only for rangers :)
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

It is an interesting idea, but I think it would make rangers close to unkillable in the desert.  If I could see all NPCs around me, I am pretty sure I could safely take a ranger through absolutely any location with ease.

I personally would like to see the number of massive flesh eating beasts the size of a house toned down and the number of hidden ambushing NPCs cranked up.  A hidden NPC that will not attack until a PC is in the same square is something a ranger can deal with using the scan skill, but a warrio will walk right into.

It sounds pretty reasonable to me.

It's not that rangers would be unkillable, but patient, well skilled, diligent rangers willing to guide themselves or a party around dangers in the way actually could. They would have to actually go around the threat, and in some pleaces going around could be a very long way. The fact that it's based on a skill means that rookie rangers aren't going to be much help, and even skilled rangers have the possibility to make mistakes, accidentally leading their charges into danger.

Warriors can still blaze on through and rely on their combat skills.
Rangers can do what they should be able to do.

Lowering the amount of npcs just makes it that much easier for warriors as well, not differentiating them.

And while creating more threats that hide, but aren't aggressive unless in the same room would certainly allow the ranger to avoid them. I'm not sure how it would apply to many creatures, nor would it really inconvienance warriors.

I'm sure some tweaks to the general idea make sense, but overall the sixth sense/peripheral vision allows a skilled ranger to accomplish their mission.

I don't really see why any other class besides rangers wouldn't be able to see the mekillot prancing ever so merrily in the wide open plain to the northwest.

If we're talking about say, looking around a corner in a tunnel, I could see some justification for a ranger-only ability here.

To clarify: I would love if somehow, everyone could see the mekillot prancing ever so merrily in the wide open plain to the northwest.
ife, like a dome of many-coloured glass,
Stains the white radiance of eternity.
 --Percy Bysshe Shelley

Eh I don't like it. It wasn't coded in/built so that you can look/go diagnal. I think it'd be stupid to give what would basically be some uber sight to JUST rangers.

And I'm always been for reducing the numbers of uber NPCs. I hate it when builders rely on strong NPCs(Through uberness or numbers) to give difficult to their area. It's just the easy way out, and it makes things unrealistic.

Creeper who also just hates dying to NPCs around every corner.
21sters Unite!

I don't like it either. Just seems kind of complicated and annoying.