Should "someone" be changed?

Started by X-D, December 19, 2003, 10:18:08 AM

Do you think the message for hidden emotes should be changed?

No
26 (54.2%)
Yes, "something" works.
11 (22.9%)
Yes, and I'll post my idea.
3 (6.3%)
Myrdryn Rules!
8 (16.7%)

Total Members Voted: 48

Voting closed: January 18, 2004, 10:18:08 AM

I like "something" myself, but hey, if ya can think of something better, I'd like to see it.

Main point is IMO, if the emote(r) is hidden, the 90% of the time your char does not see it, making the emote pretty much OOC, changing the message a bit can make it easier too ignore or use ic'ly even.

Heh, maybe I should not have used Mydryn for the spoiler, everybody might vote there and I'll have to make another poll.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Also, I think there should be an hemote command that produces emotes visible only to those who can see the person.
quote="Larrath"]"On the 5th day of the Ascending Sun, in the Month of Whira's Very Annoying And Nearly Unreachable Itch, Lord Templar Mha Dceks set the Barrel on fire. The fire was hot".[/quote]

Leave the emotive 'someone' alone and add hemote. All of these corny problems are solved.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I've always been for the hemote idea myself, but In this case, I'm basicly thinking that it would be a lot simpler to change one word in an already existing system, therefor, more likly to happen, Hell, any of the Highlords or overlords should be able to change it in about 60 seconds.

The hemote idea, well, that could possibly take much longer.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

Gosh, you're making me choose between option 1 and option 4?

For the sake of the poll, I voted #1.

What Seven said.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

I believe that this isn't a question of hidden emotes or not, just what is shows when you do do a hidden emote.  It is tough for me.  In a LOT of instances something would be better then someone.  There are many times where I wish I could have done 'something stirs in the shadows' or 'something snaps a twig behind you' or something to that effect.  On the other hand, someone also works very well many times, 'Someone throws a piece of rotting fruit at the annoying Fale' sounds better then 'Something throws a piece of rotting fruit at the annoying Fale'.  I am not sure honestly.  For a lot of things involving magic, 'something' would be many times better to do the proper effects.  Both have places where they work or don't work, but I think I like 'something' better in the end.

Well, Personaly, if I'd seen the thrown rotting fruit emot I'd probly have done a xygax, except it would be leaving in disgust. You can do almost nothing codewise and remain hidden, least nothing that involves much more then moving your eyes. The idea that somebody could pitch a melon sized fruit and remain hidden is silly. Try throwing a knife and remaining hidden.

Also, I think the current "someone" message promotes that type emote, After all, as Rindan said, "Something" would look odd if used to throw something, but "Someone" does not. And the person doing the emot knows it.
Lizzie:

I kind of don't see how changing 'someone' to 'something' or any other word would really make a difference. Information is still being passed which you can assume less people then normal can see.

People automatically know when someone enters a large tavern, and that seems to not be a big issue. So why can't they know when something flickers over in the shadows? Overall. There are bigger issues that won't be changed with one word. The issue of most people knowing everything that goes on around then no matter what.
21sters Unite!

What would it change, I'm betting that eventually it would be self policing, people would tailor thier emotes while hidden to match the output and using the word something means it needs to be an environmental emote to look right while also allowing people to use the information icly.

At least if a hidden person emotes

em moves through the shadows of the eastern corner of the room.

comes out as.

Something moves through the shadows of the eastern corner of the room.

At this point, the emoter should have no problem with reactions and the other pc's can react as they see fit, maybe it was a rat, maybe it was just the shadows flickering in the torchlight, who knows.
magickers would be able to do quite a bit more, well, some of them.

But when the message is.

Someone moves through the shadows of the eastern corner of the room.

It is hard, as a player to treat it as anything other then a pc up to no good, or just having to ignore it altogether and work hard at not reacting to it.
Lizzie:

QuoteAt this point, the emoter should have no problem with reactions and the other pc's can react as they see fit, maybe it was a rat, maybe it was just the shadows flickering in the torchlight, who knows.
magickers would be able to do quite a bit more, well, some of them.

Well... As you said earlier seeing someone means that it's hard not to assume it's a PC or to ignore it.

If you see something, it's going to be the same thing. You KNOW it's a PC OOCily. The problem comes in is people seeing these things OOCily so their PCs automatically see them.

One: Something needs to be introduced so that if you don't ICly see actions you probably shouldn't get the information. ICly I can't hear people at another table with listen, OOCily I don't hear what is going on. ICly I can see a sneaky assassin that just killed my character in one hit, OOCily I don't have the information. It should be consistent.

Two: With or without the above fix. More people need to stop having omniscient characters. There are plenty of things I know people have knowledge of, but they keep from their characters. Things that flow past their screen with their current character does not seem to be one of them. There are LOTs of great RP and RPers on this MUD, but still the mast majority of characters know everything that’s going around them at all times. I know I'm not perfect in anyway, but it’s an observation I can safely make.

Basically, if you can stay IC on everything from really thick intricate plots, uber secret magick spells and god only knows what else, ignoring those someone emotes unless you really would notice them shouldn't be hard.

Creeper
21sters Unite!