Foofy Pets

Started by jmordetsky, December 16, 2003, 08:05:10 PM

Quote from: "Cuusardo"
Quote from: "DrunkenSalarr"As for nobles? Why not have pet humans/dwarfs?

I thought those were called slaves?

Well, there you go. Get something that's not only cuddly and cute, it cooks and cleans as well!
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

But on second thought, having kids might be cheaper.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

The PCs' pet population is a good point, Creeper. It does get annoying when everyone and their mom has one.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

I havn't seen many people with pets.. but perhaps I only pay attention to what I can lift off of them with out my finger getting bit off :)
l armageddon รจ la mia aggiunta.

Just thought I'd post one significant example from Armageddon days of yore. (I apologize in advance for the length of the post, but I thought it merited sharing, and since it's so old, well...)

The Trader's Inn:
the skinny, foam-mouthed jozhal is in excellent condition.
The skinny, foam-mouthed jozhal is using:
<worn around neck>       a bejeweled, black leather choker
The elegant, smooth-skinned man backs against the wall, glancing at the skinny, foam-mouthed jozhal.
The elegant, smooth-skinned man says, in sirihish:   "Not mine..."
The elegant, smooth-skinned man looks down at the skinny, foam-mouthed jozhal.
The skinny, foam-mouthed jozhal begins to advance on the elegant, smooth-skinned man, snarling.
The skinny, foam-mouthed jozhal sniffs at the elegant, smooth-skinned man.
The tall, fiery-haired young soldier exclaims to the skinny, foam-mouthed jozhal, in sirihish:  "Sit!"
The elegant, smooth-skinned man says to the tall, fiery-haired young soldier, in sirihish:    "He doesn't look...well..."
The skinny, foam-mouthed jozhal begins chasing its tail.
The skinny, foam-mouthed jozhal eyes the elegant, smooth-skinned man out of the corner of one bleary, reddened eye, licking its chops.
The elegant, smooth-skinned man looks down at the skinny, foam-mouthed jozhal.
The elegant, smooth-skinned man asks the tall, fiery-haired young soldier, in sirihish:    "Can he do tricks?"
The elegant, smooth-skinned man begins to stroke his chin.
The tall, fiery-haired young soldier says to the skinny, foam-mouthed jozhal, in sirihish:  "Yeah, he can run like the wind."
The elegant, smooth-skinned man asks the tall, fiery-haired young soldier, in sirihish:  "You don't think he's dangerous, or anything?"
The elegant, smooth-skinned man asks the tall, fiery-haired young soldier, in sirihish:   "What's all that..stuff...dripping out of its mouth?"
The tall, rakish man has arrived from the west.
The tall, rakish man exclaims, in sirihish: "Woof!"
The tall, rakish man runs up to the skinny, foam-mouthed jozhal.
The skinny, foam-mouthed jozhal bounces around.
The tall, rakish man pats the skinny, foam-mouthed jozhal on the head.
The skinny, foam-mouthed jozhal seizes the moment while everyone's attention is on the tall, rakish man to sidle towards the elegant, smooth-skinned man.
The tall, rakish man asks the tall, fiery-haired young soldier, in sirihish:"Where did you find him?"
The elegant, smooth-skinned man says to the skinny, foam-mouthed jozhal, in sirihish: "Oh, so you're not so bad..."
The tall, rakish man makes kissing noises at the skinny, foam-mouthed jozhal.
The skinny, foam-mouthed jozhal begins sniffing the elegant, smooth-skinned man's boots, licking its chops.
The tall, fiery-haired young soldier says to the tall, rakish man, in sirihish: "Runnin amok in the streets!  Tis all I could do from losing him"
The tall, rakish man exclaims to the skinny,foam-mouthed jozhal, in sirihish:  "You've been a bad bad jozhal!"

I remember one time years ago in a house guard catching a gimpka rat for a half-giant guard for a pet. Did everything for it like make a house and had a great joke its name was hinnie and we required everyone to go see this half-giants hinnie, watching them panicing and laughing all the while.

I also had a character who had a pet baby skeet, forgot how I got it think found and egg and raised it, course this char always ran into cute critters animated by imms. I wanted to make a shik a pet but it tried to bite me.

Amish overlord
i hao I am a sid and karma farmer! Send PM for details!

Quote from: "amish overlord"I remember one time years ago in a house guard catching a gimpka rat for a half-giant guard for a pet. Did everything for it like make a house and had a great joke its name was hinnie and we required everyone to go see this half-giants hinnie, watching them panicing and laughing all the while.

I also had a character who had a pet baby skeet, forgot how I got it think found and egg and raised it, course this char always ran into cute critters animated by imms. I wanted to make a shik a pet but it tried to bite me.

Amish overlord

Did the half-giant break its neck by accident while trying to pet it and hide it from George?
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

If Gortoks are Canines then breeding a less agressive species from them would not take long at all. In this world anyway. its simply a matter of  a few geberations of breeding the less agressive ones. Bam you got a maneagable (sub)species. I think they did that in Russia with some kind of foxes. They figured out the ones who were less agressive had curled tails or something. Then they bred just those and they were many times more manageable. As far as I know or have heard, it might not have taken ages for wolves to become "man's best friend".  But it would take a breeding program to make it happen quickly. Shrug.

As for pets not reflecting a harsh environment. I am not sure about that. I haven't really researched anything but I don't really recall a culture living in one off hand that didn't have pets or at least Dogs. Probably wrong.

I know some tribal cultures with technology along the same level of advancement as armageddon (if not less) often have pets.  I remember seeing some tribals who had tiny monkeys that would practically live on their heads.

With regard to gortoks, if they showed any penchant for being trained, I think it would make perfect sense for them to become domesticated.  Because just like early dogs they could serve a pragmatic value.  Protection, tracking, hunting.

Giving a baby a ride on a gortok does seem a little out of place for something that hasn't had generations of domestication.

Someday I'll play a luxury domesticated cat PC *nodme*

Quote from: "Akaramu"Someday I'll play a luxury domesticated cat PC *nodme*

And I will skin that PC and make a nice pair of boots.
quote="Teleri"]I would highly reccomend some Russian mail-order bride thing.  I've looked it over, and it seems good.[/quote]