Camping

Started by LindseyBalboa, September 16, 2024, 04:17:39 PM

Suggestion:

Making a camp should deter aggro npcs from running in and destroying tents as wildlife is typically deterred by signs of activity. It could be a delay or just a flat-out barrier to tents being destroyed.

... However if something BIG sees a camp from far off I think they should ++++ aggro. A mekillot will have a much different POV of a camp than a scorpion.
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Could make the room NO_NPC for the duration of the camp being there, or maybe the rooms adjacent to it?

That would keep non-aggressive NPCs from wandering into those rooms, but IIRC, aggressive NPCs override that and will not pay attention to NO_NPC, or 'stay zone' or any other deterrents.
Live your life as though your every act were to become a universal law.

--Immanuel Kant

The fact that wildlife in general destroys tents has always been a very strange and slightly unreasonable thing for a lot of them in my opinion. I'm guessing the idea was that you shouldn't just be able to go and get in a tent and nothing will come get you, so they made it so they'd attack tents, but it's far more reasonable for aggressive wildlife to want to go 'inside' of tents, as sources of shade would be something they actively seek to survive Zalanthan conditions.

I think something about the camp skill being specifically so that it wards off wildlife at least virtually (similar to how some tribes utilize thorns for instance, gathered around their resting places or livestock to keep lions out) makes a lot of sense to me. In different conditions, you would absolutely try to prepare your camp in a way that mitigates wildlife threats at least SOME.

*cough* barricades *cough*

Quote from: Markku on September 16, 2024, 11:11:52 PM*cough* barricades *cough*

Don't they require a specific separate skill that doesn't come naturally to all of the things which get camping? Or the intended route is for the barricades to be narrowed down to stone working? Something like that, I thought. So that's why I don't think this is a very good response to the conundrum of wildlife just running in and instantly breaking tents.

If barricades were going to permanently stay fixed to cooking or whatever, and could be put up with minimal work, then I'd think that's a much more viable way to address this, but the underlying issues still seem to be there and will get worse when barricades are restricted down to just stoneworking.

Small barricades can be made by anyone.

Tougher barricades require a bit of skill.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.