Spec-app idea---midlife crisis

Started by Dresan, August 26, 2024, 11:10:58 PM

August 29, 2024, 04:43:05 PM #25 Last Edit: August 29, 2024, 04:44:55 PM by BigWater
Quote from: talos on August 28, 2024, 09:48:19 PMIn my opinion, I don't think having a player completely remove their old subclass skills in order to learn new skills is fun.  Perhaps if there was a way to 'remort' and learn a 2nd subclass and keep the old subclass skills..

Adding a 2nd subclass would obviously be preferred by everyone, but that's a lot more scope and power creep.  Ultimately, this isn't a feature everyone will want to use, and that's totally okay.  But for players who want it, it may be the difference between storing their character or having a new lease on life for their existing longer lived character.  I think we should let individual players choose what is more fun with a very scarce special application.  It's a personal choice.

Letting full guild mages get wilderness quit and advanced bash would be quite something.

I think I saw a post about having more use for large amounts of coin in the later game. That might be a better way to breathe life into old characters than adding more subclasses to the same character. My worry about a second subclass is that older characters might be able to do too many things and won't rely on other characters as much. IMO, the game design seems to require cooperation between multiple characters to accomplish things, and that's a virtue.

Today at 01:49:54 PM #28 Last Edit: Today at 02:11:36 PM by Dresan
Quote from: Robespierre on August 29, 2024, 10:40:56 PMI think I saw a post about having more use for large amounts of coin in the later game. That might be a better way to breathe life into old characters

The issue with coins is an old problem that has been masked over the years by the fact the game was rather gank-happy in the past, so fewer people got to see a mid to late game. Its been known for a long time at some point most people will have nothing better to do with their coins other than to junk them. When this happens a lot of the content the game offers becomes meaningless to do, with most people just waiting for 'big' and 'interesting' thing to happen.

As an example, there would be a lot of benefits in allowing players to buy a single skill gain for a large amount of coins (20k+) without impacting benefits of finding opportunity or working with other players. Stories happens as people are out just doing mundane stuff, so making sure they always have good reason to do something is important.

Allowing players to evolve their character through a transparent policy would add another layer of content on top of all that, something players can look forward with some level of fairness even if all skills are maxed as long as they continue playing actively. 

Again due to people being murdered left and right in the past, these sort of ideas were less necessary before. And while I could go into more detail on the benefits of keeping existing content meaningful and rewarding time-played, it is perhaps a conversation for the future when the season gets closer to ending.