Alcohol (and other drinks) Brewing

Started by Halaster, August 10, 2024, 07:43:00 PM

August 10, 2024, 07:43:00 PM Last Edit: August 10, 2024, 07:44:55 PM by Halaster
Coming Soon...

We are rolling out some updates to the Brew skill allowing for the brewing of alcohol and other drinks.  Using a standard crafting recipe with the Brew skill, you will combine ingredients into a "drink mix", such as a bag of tea leaves, or pouch of malt blend, or a fruit mash.  This is then mixed with water and used in a 'crafting station,' which is one of three types: a press for making wines and juices; a still for making spirits; and a kettle (or teapot) for making tea, beer, ale, and mead.  It is then cooked (or pressed) into the final drink.

These crafting stations will be sold in a new shop in Allanak (details on location coming soon).  Teapots are smaller, personal items, but the others are quite expensive and heavy.

Additionally, there is a new subguild being added called Master Brewer.  In addition to the skills this subguild starts with, they will be able to custom craft drinks.  For the moment, this means creating recipes for existing drinks.  We have over 110 various drinks, and only 15 of them have recipes to start.  Once we get a lot of these filled out, we will expand this to let Master Brewers invent new drinks.

For the moment, Master Brewer will require 2 karma.  We will re-evaluate this later and decide whether or not to reduce it to 0.  It will be available to pick after our next code release.

Anyone with the brew skill will be able to use this new system. But only a Master Brewer can submit Custom Crafts for drinks (and no, not poisons or cures).

There are a couple of new helpfiles to go along with this:
https://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Alcohol%20Brewing
https://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Known%20Drink%20Recipes
https://www.armageddon.org/help/view/Master%20Brewer

NOTE:  ArmageddonMUD staff recognize that this process of making alcoholic drinks is not the most realistic.  Much of the process, such as fermentation, is simply hand-waved away.  This is done for the sake of playability and respect for the time of players.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

I added Forage Food in the Wilds to Master Brewer based on feedback.

I added value and haggle based on feedback, and to put this in line with other master_x subguilds.

So far there's a dozen or so recipes of drinks that are craftable via this method, out of over 100 types of liquids the game has.  To help us get more of these filled out, we'll help give some direction to players who want to custom craft existing drinks.  If you are a Master Brewer, open a request (Game Related | Question) telling us what types of drinks you might want to try to make.  Ales, wines, spirits, whatever.  And we'll give you a private list of drinks that don't have any kind of recipe yet, that you could work on if you choose.

Until further notice, Master Brewers can Custom Craft TWO per month (every 2 weeks or both together once a month, up to you), as long as it's a drink recipe.