GUIDE: How to break the rules in the Byn

Started by Lotion, June 10, 2024, 04:01:26 PM

Step 1: Go to an alley
Step 2: Take off your aba and put it in your backpack
Step 3: Put on a different cloak and raise hood
Step 4: Go outside, go to the rinth, sell rations to the grocer. #YOLO

Anyone who's been around will recognize you by the stench.

Quote from: Athapaxis on June 10, 2024, 05:28:32 PMAnyone who's been around will recognize you by the stench.

I don't know why a "you're smelly" joke is so funny, but I'm still laughing at this.

Whoever finds your body will get 50 or 100 sids, from the Sarge, for returning the shitcloak in your pack.
I'd rather be lucky than good.

#1: Pick a time when you're not depriving your clan mates of a clan mate, perhaps a time you usually have to solo RP.

OR

Bring a friend.

#2: Wish up with a quick 'Amos is going offbook. I intend to explore/kill/achieve/socialize at X area'

#3: Do whatever your character would normally do when deciding to break the rules. That's the OOC guide.

IC GUIDE

#1: Swap your outer gear, add a tdesc that you're clean/spiffy/in disguise, and wear one brightly colored garb to be thrown away later.

#2: Don't just skim past the bar, this is your special day off, Ferris Beuller this Waleuk or whatever. Drink one or two of each type of drink, check out the rumor board, add your own rumors. After all, weren't your shittalking your troop while drinking?

#3: Come up with a reasonable alibi by bribing the gate Sargeant with a bottle of booze. When does he ever get out and party? They'll appreciate it.

#4: Isn't now the best time to trash your ex's apartment/stab a rival lover and run away gleefully/graffito some Templar doing something dishonorable, like being a Kasix or seducing an elf.

5: Return to your regular duties but add a rumor in the Byn clan hall that everyone saw you doing loud exercises in the yard for at least one hour, before complaining about the gate sarge. That's right, mix it up and stir the pot. Confusion and resentment only add to your power as a rule breaker.

Next, you'll want to start selling contract info and location details to a friend/acquaintance/that one templar you drew. Rules were meant to be broken, why else would we have whips.
FN: VooDoo_Tree, Arm: Kevo, Raptor_Dan, Discord: Ain_Soph, Walter_Schmalter, RL: Kevin, Blue Sky, Alex Marzenia.

Your only job is to breathe. Keep breathing.

My preferred method:
give 100 coins sergeant
say (winking) Gate sergeant wants me to run some errands tomorrow.

Bribes are quick, easy, and work on NPCs too.

June 12, 2024, 10:28:14 PM #6 Last Edit: June 12, 2024, 11:00:02 PM by Dresan
This might be an unpopular opinion but I always found it funny that the byn had some of the strictest clan rules for the roughest scum of society. People who not only have to pay to join but who will also be risking their lives trying to make some coins.

I've never felt the byn was newbie friendly, especially for nonpeak players. Who looks at those strict schedules and thinks: 'yep this sure will be fun for SIX RL weeks'.

I can understand it makes sense for some other clans,especially those who want to maintain elite soldiers but schedules should be more optional and flexable in the byn.  You arent getting paid after all until you perform on the field, at which point you will die if you are weak or unlucky. Byn are not elite soldiers, they are just meat shields at a discounted price.

However, i think over the years there has been too many people who want to give Byn more prestige instead of having them being used like disposable filthy shit by everyone who hires them. Like the rumor of a Byn sergeants with a copper blade? Guess next we will hear about beggars with copper butt plugs. 

I think the Byn, as the "newbie-friendly" combat-based clan, offers a safe(R) way to really demonstrate to new players how the game is RP-heavy, but still codedly lethal.  The whole "why" you shouldn't leave the gates alone and inexperienced. WHY you should bow to nobles and templars in the south. WHY you shouldn't mouth off to the AOD, WHY you should avoid getting caught when you choose to do something illegal.

That's why it has so many rules. To accommodate new players who really need to understand how this game differs from others, and tweak their expectations if necessary. Or teach them expectations, if they don't have any coming in.  It's a place for them to learn the ropes without just flinging them out to the nearest scrab and telling them good luck.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I'm pretty sure the byn rules about don't go to "x" are just to reduce runner attrition.

I think it's because of the actual realities of the setting.

Quote from: Feu de Joie on June 11, 2024, 09:10:08 PM#1: Pick a time when you're not depriving your clan mates of a clan mate, perhaps a time you usually have to solo RP.

OR

Bring a friend.

#2: Wish up with a quick 'Amos is going offbook. I intend to explore/kill/achieve/socialize at X area'

#3: Do whatever your character would normally do when deciding to break the rules. That's the OOC guide.

IC GUIDE

#1: Swap your outer gear, add a tdesc that you're clean/spiffy/in disguise, and wear one brightly colored garb to be thrown away later.

#2: Don't just skim past the bar, this is your special day off, Ferris Beuller this Waleuk or whatever. Drink one or two of each type of drink, check out the rumor board, add your own rumors. After all, weren't your shittalking your troop while drinking?

#3: Come up with a reasonable alibi by bribing the gate Sargeant with a bottle of booze. When does he ever get out and party? They'll appreciate it.

#4: Isn't now the best time to trash your ex's apartment/stab a rival lover and run away gleefully/graffito some Templar doing something dishonorable, like being a Kasix or seducing an elf.

5: Return to your regular duties but add a rumor in the Byn clan hall that everyone saw you doing loud exercises in the yard for at least one hour, before complaining about the gate sarge. That's right, mix it up and stir the pot. Confusion and resentment only add to your power as a rule breaker.

Next, you'll want to start selling contract info and location details to a friend/acquaintance/that one templar you drew. Rules were meant to be broken, why else would we have whips.

I feel like this needs to be an official doc.  ;D

June 13, 2024, 09:16:13 AM #11 Last Edit: June 13, 2024, 11:25:53 AM by Dresan
Quote from: Lizzie on June 12, 2024, 10:57:37 PMI think the Byn, as the "newbie-friendly" combat-based clan, offers a safe(R) way to really demonstrate to new players how the game is RP-heavy, but still codedly lethal.  The whole "why" you shouldn't leave the gates alone and inexperienced. WHY you should bow to nobles and templars in the south. WHY you shouldn't mouth off to the AOD, WHY you should avoid getting caught when you choose to do something illegal.

I don't believe six Rl weeks of strict schedules are repeatedly needed for 'new' and 'old' players to achieve understanding of the game. It can be achieved through a quick conversation in most cases. Leaving the city gates is one thing that only borderline makes sense but the strict schedules prevent you from leaving the byn compound half the time. With people then wondering why the city feels empty with twenty people logged on.

Perhaps clans are lacking a few mechanics and tactics to assist the sergeant or team leaders do their job. For example, simple communication method to all currently active members of clan, for example maybe an npc that can contact everyone with a message from the sergeant. However the idea that runners should be the backbone of a byn unit makes no sense, they paid for their training and food and they don't have to join any mission or get paid themselves.

I really think six week long schedules was an archaic idea from decades ago that has not aged well. An idea that as usual did not care or respect people's time. The last time this was brought up, staff was to stubborn to make meaningful changes plus most people that had problems with clan just played indies, who were just as viable at the time. Fast forward to today, and we have a hard push to force people to join clans, even preventing people from training effectively or easily outside of them. All without addressing the fact that depending on time and availability clans can be incredible boring and limiting to join.

I agree making it a set 6 weeks is way too limiting. Maybe instead - it could be "up to" six weeks, with a minimum 1 RL week mandatory. A 6-week probation period. During that time - if recruits show promise, and make efforts to obey the OTHER rules, don't get into trouble (at least, don't get caught), follow instructions, and show up - their recruitment can result in early promotion at any time after the first week.

If they need to work on something and it's clear they're just not ready yet, they get further instruction and guidelines, and stay as recruits. By the end of the 6th week, they can choose to promote or choose to leave on neutral/good terms.

That gives guidelines to the leaders too - if they're bringing someone in who is seasoned already (maybe former Academy, or someone known to be an accomplished hunter), they can fast-track after that initial week. This could be codified, so the leader -players- don't have to worry if they're breaking leadership roles by giving upward mobility too quickly.

June 13, 2024, 09:30:35 AM #13 Last Edit: June 13, 2024, 10:50:47 AM by Lizzie
n/t I think I tried to edit and hit the quote button by mistake.

Only if Who-c stealth is made possible via a toggle. Otherwise "psi Where are you, Runner Shitface!"

Quote from: Tasemu on June 13, 2024, 11:26:02 AMOnly if Who-c stealth is made possible via a toggle. Otherwise "psi Where are you, Runner Shitface!"

barrier
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts