Discuss: Changes To PK Guidance & Helpfile

Started by Agent_137, May 21, 2024, 06:27:32 PM

I do not believe that Armageddon would exist long without PK.  PK (permadeath) adds that dimension that sets us apart. I will trust the staff to keep an eye on things and sort out players that abuse PK.  All loving and respecting each other isn't a realistic answer nor likely to ever happen.  Trust but verify.  The staff sees the big picture.
I'd rather be lucky than good.

Ugh, some things never change. Fundamentally, this shouldn't be a problem for seasons- except that it is. If Armageddon is generally considered a collaborative experience where the playerbase gets involved with a broader story together, it makes sense to structure character approvals and groups so that psychopathy is strongly discouraged. Just about every functioning society has taboos and laws against similar pathologies, whether you call them wendigo sickness or cyberpsychosis. Maybe the Red Fangs didn't, but there's a reason they got stamped out by the other elves. Antagonist PCs can exhibit such behaviors, of course, but after rare approvals they should expect short lifespans and relatively limited success. Most RPI muds have some sort of protection against this, actually, and I'm surprised Armageddon doesn't.

Conversely, you can say "hey, solve it IC scrub" and maybe the players in Allanak will enforce the no-PK rule. Possibly with PK, if we get right down to it. But at that point you have to be honest about the broader point of your setting, and be very good at balancing your codebase. There's a reason gameplay functions are most hotly contested in heavily competitive PVP servers.

Quote from: Patuk on May 24, 2024, 04:14:18 PMOh, so it should have some restrictions. Cool. Now we're just discussing the particulars, which is part of what's been going on in this thread.
It is not restricting the PK, it is restricting the so-called "toxic" player you all talking about. If your PC got PKed and it is against the rules, your next PC will still be able to get PKed, but not likely by the same player.
I thought it was easy to understand. Sorry about it, if it was not. English is not my mother language.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You think:
"No! Please leave me be whoever you are."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

Quote from: eska on May 24, 2024, 04:27:49 PM
Quote from: Patuk on May 24, 2024, 04:14:18 PMOh, so it should have some restrictions. Cool. Now we're just discussing the particulars, which is part of what's been going on in this thread.
It is not restricting the PK, it is restricting the so-called "toxic" player you all talking about. If your PC got PKed and it is against the rules, your next PC will still be able to get PKed, but not likely by the same player.
I thought it was easy to understand. Sorry about it, if it was not. English is not my mother language.

This is what the nerds like to call a distinction without a difference. If staff say you can't do a thing, and will tell you off for it, and (hopefully) offer some means of restitution to discourage the griefers, those are in fact restrictions. I have no idea why you'd argue against anything else, when I see nobody in this thread trying to propose different systems.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

May 24, 2024, 05:29:41 PM #129 Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 06:03:55 PM by Riev
6 pages now of:

"Is our new helpfile decent at guiding PK and PC conflict?"
      I don't like my PC being killed when it feels meaningless.
      Just because you don't see the meaning, means it was meaningless.
      Ok, I just want to be sure it IS meaningful and this helpfile doesn't fix that.
      Git gud, skrub.
      Maybe we can fix PK a little bit, codedly, so it isn't all on staff?
      *4 pages of a mess*
      Okay we all agree that we like that the game has PK, we just want there to be story-fulfilling alternatives thought of instead of immediate killing of people.

Zalanthas is a harsh place. Personally, I disagree that the inhabitants are all "I will kill another living being because its easy to do", but you do you.

I would just prefer that calling some rag-clad elf a "thieving rat" to not be thought of as reason enough to be killed. I would prefer that a non-affiliated commoner disappointing (not pissing off, just disappointing) a Templar doesn't lead to summary execution.

But more than that, guys? I would prefer that my preferences and ideas weren't shouted down by those who "know better" or "are more correct". We've all got our ideas and preferences, and tearing each other apart is neither advancing the discussion or making the game better. Its just shouting to be the loudest.

Now, that said? Open up this damn game so we can stop complaining about the same 4 topics every day.

Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on May 24, 2024, 05:29:41 PMNow, that said? Open up this damn game so we can stop complaining about the same 4 topics every day.

Three weeks is gonna feel like a year.
I make up for the tiny in-game character limit by writing walls of text here.

Yeah, you're a raider, and the guy refused you so you killed him. That's fine, but how did you kill him? Did you roleplay out the incident or did you just type kill noob? The world can be harsh and satisfying in a roleplaying way. I argue that a well roleplayed out pk makes the world seem more gritty and real than hack/slash cartoonish instant code only pk.

I read the guidance doc and I don't see a difference, it seems pretty consistent to staff expectations for the last few years.

It's tough to get these elaborate scenes folks are talking about unless you're able to completely incapacitate or trap your target. Not always gonna happen! Backstab, for example, is a very legit way to PK but will very likely be executed by a hidden PC with very little visible rp for the target to enjoy.

Orrr

"A black-fletched, obsidian-headed arrow flies in from the south" may be what you get, and it may be completely justified for IC reasons.