Favourite places to play in Zalanthas

Started by Kavrick, April 24, 2024, 03:22:43 PM

So I kinda wanted to put in a bit of a break in of the dissection of seasons to ask a question I've always been curious about for other players. What parts of the game are your favourite ones to play in and why? I've always felt like certain things 'clicked' for me play style wise and others I couldn't stomach even if I really tried. So I'm interested to peer into the thoughts of people who perhaps played in completely different spheres of the game as me and what they thought about it!

Obviously I'm not looking for any specifics, I'm not actually sure how the current 1 year rule applies to old arm and all that, if it is ok to hear details, I suppose that'd be interesting too!

Personally, I've always been attracted to playing tribals, coded and non-coded. Non-coded tribals always gave me the freedom to just make up shit when it came to beliefs and such, it was fun to just roll up to a conversation between pit-people and pull superstitious nonsense out of my ass and develop the culture of my character's would-be tribe as I went along.

Also weirdly enough I've always enjoyed the Rinth. Maybe stereotypically because I'm English and Rinthis tend to be roleplayed with a bit of an English lower-class cant to it. The banter, way of speaking, smarmy, yet weirdly familial interactions between Rinthis. All good fun stuff that's familiar to me. Although I will say I don't usually stay in the Rinth for long, the fish out of water part of being something like a Rinthi in Tuluk is always a blast.
I was told this game was full of twinks, all I found was power gamers.

I prefer playing tribals as well. The strict heirarchy of things in the city is fine if you like playing against power over you, and following real specific mores and places where even fashion has documents that if you don't follow you might get animations about and I honestly hate that. I like what I like. It's nice that there's documents that say that Nakki's typically dress a certain way. But I hate getting negative staff attention for how my PC is dressed. I'm also not super fond of situations where playing a character in a clan under a sponsored role in either Allanak /or/ Tuluk has felt like a weight overhead threatening to crush non sponsored PCs in those clans as targets and making a whole character's arc end in 'peripheral damage' or 'collateral damage'. There's a lot less of all of that in Luir's as well as tribal roles of all stripes. And I appreciate the heck out of that.

Really, I'll play anywhere.

Labyrinth - probably my # 1 home base.
Tribals
Red Storm
Vrun Driath/Luirs.

I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Redstorm (wish the surrounding weather code factored in playability a bit more)

Allanak Rooftops (just more please)

Rinth (until backstab is maxed)

Tuluk (pre volcano tossing war only)

Quote from: Dresan on April 24, 2024, 07:07:08 PMRedstorm (wish the surrounding weather code factored in playability a bit more)

Allanak Rooftops (just more please)

Rinth (until backstab is maxed)

Tuluk (pre volcano tossing war only)

I like all of these, too, other than the rinth. It's just not for me. The PCs from there can sometimes do interesting stuff, but so much of it looks so similar to itself that the geography/anything about the descs of it just sort of glaze to white noise in my mind. The Allanak rooftops have always been pretty cool but got a lot cooler when they expanded. Creative use of the vertical is always fun in an area.

The area above "the bowl" past the Canyon of Wastes.
Far to the east of Tuluk, past the thornlands, up in the mountains there.
The plane of Whira
Allanak rooftops

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on April 24, 2024, 10:56:22 PMThe area above "the bowl" past the Canyon of Wastes.
Far to the east of Tuluk, past the thornlands, up in the mountains there.
The plane of Whira
Allanak rooftops

All of those but the plane of Whira. TBH after seeing some of the stuff for the other elemental planes, I was a bit saddened at the possibilities there. Like, it made sense for what it was. But. I really wished there was more to do there. The east past the Thornlands is one of the most intriguing places to me. It's much smaller than the bowl above the Canyon but, the implications of the rooms that are described is fantastic. The diversity of places in the bowl as well as the exotic npcs are both a big draw and interest, too, yeah.

I like Allanak. The theme appeals a lot and I tend to gravitate toward zealot like characters in most games that can really push theme :P I tried a Vru'Rihali but they were too nice and my character was a bit lackluster. A lot of my clan mates had very different schedules too. I had fun on my Tuluki Bynner until she was recruited to the dark side. She lied and basically went awol to chill with super badguys only to get double-beetled the second she went out exploring alone. </3 But I think so far the rinth is my favorite, though I was a celf toward the end of the game so finding rp could be tough. I haven't been able to play it for long. I'm interested to see if its much a no rp death fest as I've heard when its populated. I really like the guild and have never been in it :P

The ease of getting permanently dead and story progression just dissolving in this game is my number one meh, so I will likely always be attracted to city characters. That way some random npc megacreature doesn't delete me as easy. Would rather die to pcs or shenanigans.

I love the Westside rinth and almost always ended up gravitating there. I loved to just roll up a scrappy, loyalish underling. Possibly like Kavrick said, maybe it feels homely because it's kinda British?? A little sad I probably won't get that experience again but it's worth it! I also loved Luirs before it got 'downgraded' and had a wonderful time playing tribal indie in the tent camp, that was such a good time and dynamic.

I prefer the Gol Krathu. I like the Sun King, and the Legion because I love being a loyal soldier. There is so much more to explore and the different areas make for a better play area IMO. The Pymlithe groves are one of my favourite places and I remember going there on a "date" with a Faithful Lady one time, as well as the edge of the Yen-el-Tun hunting herbs for the Grey Hunt and coming across elder tandu. There's so much more beauty in what RP you can come up with there.

The Vrun Driath can be so boring. It needs more landmarks. Oasis. Desert Plantlife. Rock Formations. Underground Riverbeds. Large Cave Systems. Mines/Quarries. Villages. Ruins. High vantage points that rooms surrounding echo to the one spot (places that could allow for tactical military advantage). And so on.
Death is only the beginning...

I think the rinth would be great if it had more of an ecosystem and throughput.

Personally I don't really have a preference for regions,

I can play anywhere there are collaborators to work with. I think the Outpost full time is the last stop on my bucket list though.

I loved Whira because of it's emptiness. It's exactly what I envision an elemental plane of existence dedicated to air /would/ be. There shouldn't be anything there. It was like - a Zen Den. The very thing for my whiran.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

April 25, 2024, 11:17:48 PM #12 Last Edit: April 26, 2024, 12:20:07 PM by Dresan
Rooftops have the lawlessness of the rinth mixed with magick defenses of the city. The rooftops are not perfect but the proximity to important amenities like apartments make it more livable than rinth. Not to mention proximity to people that arent always hidden. The lack of a rooftop tavern like the mantis or black market shops are some things that i would love to see.

Unless you are full member of rinth clan or just stick to its taverns, the rinth plays similar to the wilderness minus movement penalties. Fun to visit but never stay.This is not a bad thing and more 'city' wilderness like the rinth are really important for the area to have. The removal of under tuluk impacted the experience in the north negatively regardless of all its issues.

I lack the appropriate level of literacy skills to describe the experience in Redstorm in a way that would do it proper justice.

Quote from: Usiku on April 25, 2024, 06:17:31 AMI also loved Luirs before it got 'downgraded' and had a wonderful time playing tribal indie in the tent camp, that was such a good time and dynamic.
the shanty town was absolutely fantastic.

My absolute fav's are those tiny little hidden places juuuust around the corner, just out of reach, just beyond eye-sight, literally scattered from one end of this world to the other.  Those places you only stumble upon by total accident, or while running for your life!  The amount of them I've discovered and the sly grins they've given me... I tell ya...  Sometimes I actually stop playing for a minute or two, just to take in the moment, and think to myself...  "I've been playing this game for almost 30 fuckin' years, and I JUST FOUND THIS PLACE.. I wonder if ANY OTHER PLAYER has ever even been here before?"  Not to mention the Unfathomably Horrific Things that created.. Or might very well still inhabit some of them!

Ooo and your apartment.. I Looove playing in Your Apartment.   ;)
The glowing Nessalin Nebula flickers eternally overhead.
This Angers The Shade of Nessalin.

Undertuluk,
Labyrinth Sewers,
Plane of Krath.
I was so fascinated when I visited those places for the first time. I still wish to have chars that would dare to go those places.
There is also Xytrix Za. I want to play a Mantis just to hang around there whole day.
A foreign presence contacts your mind.

You think:
"No! Please leave me be whoever you are."

You sense a foreign presence withdraw from your mind.

Quote from: Evilone on April 25, 2024, 07:48:26 AMThe Vrun Driath can be so boring. It needs more landmarks. Oasis. Desert Plantlife. Rock Formations. Underground Riverbeds. Large Cave Systems. Mines/Quarries. Villages. Ruins. High vantage points that rooms surrounding echo to the one spot (places that could allow for tactical military advantage). And so on.

I 100% agree as someone who played a lot of hunter characters. The north is so much more fun to hunt, gather and explore than the south. I really hope the south gets a face lift rather than being 500 desert/salt flat rooms
I was told this game was full of twinks, all I found was power gamers.

The mantis valley and the mountains/insert far off place were some of my favorites. I really enjoy the mul outost and redstorm, most of my pcs have been stormers.

There are so many great places, and many regions have their hubs/gathering places.
Veteran Newbie