Camping Idea Thread

Started by Halaster, March 03, 2024, 05:53:58 PM

June 09, 2024, 01:47:39 PM #50 Last Edit: June 09, 2024, 02:09:53 PM by Halaster
Scout - starts at novice, max at advanced (high), branches from forage
Stalker - starts at novice, max at master (low), branches from forage
Adventurer - starts at apprentice, max at master (high), branches from forage
Wastelander - starts at journeyman, max at advanced (low), starter skill
Bandit - starts at journeyman, max at advanced (low), starter skill
Mountaineer - starts at journeyman, max at advanced (low), starter skill

EDIT:  added mountaineer
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: Halaster on June 09, 2024, 01:47:39 PMScout - starts at novice, max at advanced (high), branches from forage

Is outdoorsman not getting it or is it already considered a too-powerful subguild?
I make up for the tiny in-game character limit by writing walls of text here.

Quote from: Halaster on June 09, 2024, 01:47:39 PMScout - starts at novice, max at advanced (high), branches from forage

I think mountaineer would make a good addition.

It makes sense for bandit but master hide and charge are hearty skills vs climb and regen of mountaineer. The latter which camp somwehat makes moot so doesnt feel too op.

Quote from: Kavrick on June 09, 2024, 01:48:56 PM

Is outdoorsman not getting it or is it already considered a too-powerful subguild?

already 'too' powerful, to add camping I think we'd have to remove something from it, which I'd rahter not do

Quote from: Dresan on June 09, 2024, 01:58:03 PM

I think mountaineer would make a good addition.

It makes sense for bandit but master hide and charge are hearty skills vs climb and regen of mountaineer. The latter which camp somwehat makes moot so doesnt feel too op.

agreed, added

The Stalker web page says to me, that the class starts with the camping skill? Its branching page says camping branches from forage?
That beauty and truth should pass utterly

Depending on how many folks get the skill, and how long camps last for, it could result in a wilderness locations littered with campsites.

Folks need to practice their skills. If each PC with the skill creates a camp (or multiple if they want to practice it until failure) each 24 hour period, how many camps will be in the wilds at one time?

For this reason, I think they should only last one IG day.

Quote from: bracken on June 10, 2024, 05:18:27 AMThe Stalker web page says to me, that the class starts with the camping skill? Its branching page says camping branches from forage?

Thanks for catching that, that's my bad.  Fixed, it's now under the branching section.  See also 'stalker branching'

Surprised that it's not available for Dune Trader. You would think they are the ones that are actively setting up camps for caravans.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Quote from: FantasyWriter on June 12, 2024, 04:26:25 PMSurprised that it's not available for Dune Trader. You would think they are the ones that are actively setting up camps for caravans.

That is true.  I thought all those classes in the center column were more wilderness oriented...

Is it an oversight or intentional?

How will tents fit in with the new camping skill? Why should characters use tents if they have also have camping? The helpfile on tents mentions "Tents are not quit-safe rooms. They cannot be, for code reasons."