SEASONS FEEDBACK: When will the game close?

Started by MarshallDFX, December 08, 2023, 04:28:00 AM

Frankly, I am struggling to keep playing.  It is almost painful to log in and find no one, and also, to know that many are simply gone.  Hopefully not for good. Some kind of encouragement would help.

In the absence of that, I think the game should close earlier rather than later. The absenteeism and apathy will only get worse.

At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

December 15, 2023, 05:40:55 AM #26 Last Edit: December 15, 2023, 06:01:37 AM by CirclelessBard
Having a known fixed end date is nice for planning purposes. Still, I think I've spent 10+ hours in the last week having my PC idle in one public place, trying to contact known PCs that I saw during my usual playtimes, and having no luck. I think I've done one scene all week, and it was about 10 minutes long.

I'm more than happy to play to the end, but without being able to see what end is actually there or who else is along for the last leg of the journey, it feels like I'm flying blind. Is there some way for staff to maybe just tell us where the people who are still playing, actually are playing? Or give us role suggestions for those willing to store their characters to create an "endgame" character that would make the most use of the remaining 2 months?
"All stories eventually come to an end." - Narci, Fable Singer

There are players still in both major cities as well as RSV and rolling around Independent. While I can understand the desire to consolidate at this point, I don't want to direct players to a particular area and away from other active players who are still trying to accomplish things with long-lived PCs. It's pretty much an even split. Except Luir's, I wouldn't bother with Luir's.

Quote from: Usiku on December 15, 2023, 06:26:02 AMExcept Luir's, I wouldn't bother with Luir's.

-sigh-  Usiku dear, this is so sad.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

Quotewho
Immortals
---------

There are 0 visible Immortals currently in the world.

There are 3 players currently in the world, other than yourself.

7pm EST... Oooph.

I keep coming back and checking, but I can't bring myself to play single player arm.

Might as well pull the plug early and get working on the new shit.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Quote from: Pariah on December 18, 2023, 06:59:57 PM
Quotewho
Immortals
---------

7pm EST... Oooph.

I keep coming back and checking, but I can't bring myself to play single player arm.

Just think - if everyone who logged in just for a few minutes to see who was logged in, then logged out because the who list was so small - would stay logged in - there might be 20-30 people actually playing.

From the "unique logins" to just the vocal minority claiming they want to play but not if no one else is playing - it sounds like the only reason no one is playing, is because no one wants to be the only ones playing. Yogi Berra at his best.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on December 18, 2023, 11:40:38 PM
Quote from: Pariah on December 18, 2023, 06:59:57 PM
Quotewho
Immortals
---------

7pm EST... Oooph.

Just think - if everyone who logged in just for a few minutes to see who was logged in, then logged out because the who list was so small - would stay logged in - there might be 20-30 people actually playing.

From the "unique logins" to just the vocal minority claiming they want to play but not if no one else is playing - it sounds like the only reason no one is playing, is because no one wants to be the only ones playing. Yogi Berra at his best.

No one is playing because of the announcement and their various stated reason.

Mine starting with the not a democracy statement, being banned from discord for saying staff should be held more accountable than players, and xyz have damaged my motivation, let alone the "nope dont care if you leave, we wouldn't have invited you anyways"

I'd like think I'm more than just a number here.
Veteran Newbie

Quote from: Dracul on December 19, 2023, 08:01:37 AMnope dont care if you leave, we wouldn't have invited you anyways"

Daaamn thats cold.  Was this said on discord? Who said that?

December 19, 2023, 09:01:50 AM #33 Last Edit: December 19, 2023, 09:06:21 AM by Halaster
Quote from: Dar on December 19, 2023, 08:17:51 AM
Quote from: Dracul on December 19, 2023, 08:01:37 AMnope dont care if you leave, we wouldn't have invited you anyways"

Daaamn thats cold.  Was this said on discord? Who said that?

No one who speaks for the game said that, as it simply isn't true.  Not sure where he got that from.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

My advice which likely will be ignored is to shut the game down asap. Staff should take 2 weeks during christmas break to take the much needed rest they've been needing to begin work on the new iteration of the game.

Stop hand-holding a few precious princess plots and set a hard date. Don't say "maybe we'll close if there's too few players" or any more nebulous goal setting.

A huge part of the reason this has been so poorly received is that you soft-petaled it out the gate.

1. Give solid timelines and stick to them.

2. Stop giving the impression some players are better than others. Nobody should be getting a golden ticket to the chocolate factory.

3. If you give a solid date many may decide that's enough to explore something they never explored, or try something they never tried, or find some personal reason to log on. But when they think the rug will be pulled if you just randomly decide you don't think enough is going on then why even bother logging in.

Quote from: Miradus on December 19, 2023, 09:42:13 AMStop hand-holding a few precious princess plots and set a hard date. Don't say "maybe we'll close if there's too few players" or any more nebulous goal setting.

A huge part of the reason this has been so poorly received is that you soft-petaled it out the gate.

2. Stop giving the impression some players are better than others. Nobody should be getting a golden ticket to the chocolate factory.

3. If you give a solid date many may decide that's enough to explore something they never explored, or try something they never tried, or find some personal reason to log on. But when they think the rug will be pulled if you just randomly decide you don't think enough is going on then why even bother logging in.

No one's getting anything. Those of us who are sticking around are getting the animations, and not people who aren't sticking around. Why? Because - people who log in don't get animations? I mean - that's kind of just logic.  The first season of Seasons will be based off the results of what's going on now. The staff have said this countless times.  So if you don't like the new season, and you decided not to stick around for the end of the current game - oh well. You could've been part of something you might've liked better. You could've influenced plotlines. You chose not to. I chose to stick around, and so did a few dozen other people.

So we're the ones who will influence what happens in Season 1.  Come back now, or don't, that's on you. Staff has already said February 10 for shut-down IF there are still players left by then. If there are no players before then, then it'll be shut down before then.

The funny part, Lizzie, is you don't even see the contradictions in your own statement.

"Nobody is getting anything."

"We're the ones who will influence ..."

Quote from: Miradus on December 19, 2023, 01:49:23 PMThe funny part, Lizzie, is you don't even see the contradictions in your own statement.

"Nobody is getting anything."

"We're the ones who will influence ..."

It's not a contradiction. You are thinking the "chosen few" are getting attention that no one else is entitled to. As though we're somehow special, and you're not. What's happening in-game has nothing to do with "people who are entitled" to "people who don't deserve." It has everything to do with "people who show up and engage" and "people who opt out."

You want to feel a part of things, then BE a part of things. The only people being stopped from participating, are people who've been actively banned from the game. MOST players have not been banned. MOST players have chosen not to participate. And that's fine. No one should be made to feel obligated to participate.

Just don't shit on those who have chosen to participate. We're not "special" or "entitled." We're showing up and participating.

December 19, 2023, 07:46:50 PM #39 Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 09:52:20 AM by CirclelessBard
I'm gonna be brutally blunt about this topic.

1. Pretending that nepotism doesn't exist and trying to convince people that it doesn't exist is a little silly and a little toxic. You will not find a single group of people in the entire world that doesn't practice nepotism. Staff have favorites, and will give perks to people who are their favorites. There's no point trying to deny it, denying it is just basically trying to cover it up, which is a lot worse than just admitting it.

Also, I don't even care if staff play favorites, they don't get paid, and they're probably gonna want to do stuff in their passion project with people who they prefer to interact with, that's just human, lets not gaslight people into thinking anything otherwise. And this is coming from me, someone who is well aware that staff actively dislikes them.

2. I would actually prefer to get less animations. 90% of all animations I've had have been punishing, humiliating and generally negative. And any positive animation I've seen has never been directed towards me.

People might not like me saying this, and maybe it'll even get moderated. But It's just weird to pretend things work otherwise. You can't fix things while also pretending the problems don't exist.

As for the topic of people not playing. My entire clan is dead player-wise and I have little to no reason to invest more time into a character that's just going to get deleted.

(Moderator note: Edited some language that suggested underhanded intentions of other members, while preserving the meaning and intent of the original post. Please remember to be kind and respectful towards fellow members - that includes assuming the best of your fellow members. Thank you. - CirclelessBard)
I was told this game was full of twinks, all I found was power gamers.

December 19, 2023, 08:17:51 PM #40 Last Edit: December 20, 2023, 03:27:44 PM by CirclelessBard Reason: edited quote
Quote from: Kavrick on December 19, 2023, 07:46:50 PMI'm gonna be brutally blunt about this topic.

1. Pretending that nepotism doesn't exist and trying to convince people that it doesn't exist is a little silly and a little toxic. You will not find a single group of people in the entire world that doesn't practice nepotism. Staff have favorites, and will give perks to people who are their favorites. There's no point trying to deny it, denying it is just basically trying to cover it up, which is a lot worse than just admitting it.

Also, I don't even care if staff play favorites, they don't get paid, and they're probably gonna want to do stuff in their passion project with people who they prefer to interact with, that's just human, lets not gaslight people into thinking anything otherwise. And this is coming from me, someone who is well aware that staff actively dislikes them.

2. I would actually prefer to get less animations. 90% of all animations I've had have been punishing, humiliating and generally negative. And any positive animation I've seen has never been directed towards me.

People might not like me saying this, and maybe it'll even get moderated. But It's just weird to pretend things work otherwise. You can't fix things while also pretending the problems don't exist.

As for the topic of people not playing. My entire clan is dead player-wise and I have little to no reason to invest more time into a character that's just going to get deleted.

This is literally my exact experience.  Both to the silence and the kind of interactions I was given as well as feeling not generally liked by staff.  It's precisely why I stored a templar I was enjoying, were it not for, you know "the system" itself.

100% aligned with this post.

Quote from: Miradus on December 19, 2023, 09:42:13 AM2. Stop giving the impression some players are better than others. Nobody should be getting a golden ticket to the chocolate factory.

But some ARE better than others, that's just the way the world works.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Hi, I still play, I got over my upsetness and I've been known to play solo arm, my 50 day elf was solo alot of the time and definitely knocked a bunch of you out for ya know not listening to my words. With that said, play if you want, if you do not want too, please stop begging staff to close early. They gave a bit of a time line, let us who still play enjoy it, thanks.
Someone punches a dead mantis in it's dead face.

Quote from: Miradus on December 19, 2023, 09:42:13 AMStop hand-holding a few precious princess plots and set a hard date. Don't say "maybe we'll close if there's too few players" or any more nebulous goal setting.

We set a hard date, nearly a week ago now: https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php?msg=1101743

Quote from: Miradus on December 19, 2023, 09:42:13 AM2. Stop giving the impression some players are better than others. Nobody should be getting a golden ticket to the chocolate factory.

I have no idea what you mean by this or what you are referring to if I'm honest.

Quote from: Miradus on December 19, 2023, 09:42:13 AM3. If you give a solid date many may decide that's enough to explore something they never explored, or try something they never tried, or find some personal reason to log on. But when they think the rug will be pulled if you just randomly decide you don't think enough is going on then why even bother logging in.

We're not going to pull the rug. We might 'end early' if there is literally no one logging in, but then it wouldn't really matter if the game was still up anyway. Given the timeframe and how numbers are looking, I think this is incredibly unlikely. Certain parts of the world are getting some decent action now at certain times. It looks to be peaking between 15-20 players online and most of those are in the same area.

Hey everyone,

I applied a minor edit to a reply in this thread. Please note that Rule 1 (show kindness and respect to others) and Rule 5 (don't bash other users) means that, among other things, we should try to assume the best of one another. As community members we should not assume or imply that our fellow members are using underhanded tactics or applying psychological abuse to us. That being said I think this discussion is important and I hope that it can bring about some good ideas and insight.

Thanks!
"All stories eventually come to an end." - Narci, Fable Singer

Quote from: Usiku on December 20, 2023, 08:25:27 AM

We set a hard date, nearly a week ago now: https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php?msg=1101743

I have no idea what you mean by this or what you are referring to if I'm honest.

Quote from: Miradus on December 19, 2023, 09:42:13 AM3. If you give a solid date many may decide that's enough to explore something they never explored, or try something they never tried, or find some personal reason to log on. But when they think the rug will be pulled if you just randomly decide you don't think enough is going on then why even bother logging in.

We're not going to pull the rug. We might 'end early' if there is literally no one logging in, but then it wouldn't really matter if the game was still up anyway. Given the timeframe and how numbers are looking, I think this is incredibly unlikely. Certain parts of the world are getting some decent action now at certain times. It looks to be peaking between 15-20 players online and most of those are in the same area.

Respectfully, I saw 11 or slightly more persons at the HRPT and regularly, no more than 4-5.  I'd REALLY hate to see this game die as it is my only outlet currently, but the numbers say otherwise.

2 more weeks.

Are you ready, Staff? Because when its not back up in 24 hours I'm gonna be upset. And you know how random internet folks can be when they're upset.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on January 24, 2024, 07:24:26 PM2 more weeks.

Are you ready, Staff? Because when its not back up in 24 hours I'm gonna be upset. And you know how random internet folks can be when they're upset.

"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php?msg=1101750
https://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php?msg=1101747

Obligatory followup to the two above posts of mine, now that there's less than twelve days left until the game closes or whatever. I did make a request like Usiku insisted.

Clanstaff picked up after the request after that. Took like a day. After stating dissatisfaction to the resolutions proposed to the story by clanstaff and clarifying stuff, I've been on additional radio silence for 45 days.

My clan admin is now no longer staff. Current or potential resolutions not withstanding, initial response to my plot submissions and overarching metaplot were essentially dismissive despite all being previously approved, and no followup has since been given beyond initial.

Character is/was an irl year old. Four subplots and one larger metaplot was submitted. The subplots ranged from stuff like making a board post somewhere or changing a roomflag on a 'door'. The metaplot which I've sunk the most time into since the inception of the character and hasn't seen an update in 9 Months, I was given insistence that it "already happened" 9 months ago and that said plot had "succeeded and had been recognized".

Regardless to say, this is my experience and I am not optimistic. My experience essentially mirrored what had happened when the announcement initially dropped. Except, like, you know, it's been 45 days and counting. I sort of figured this would happen but I guess I got my hopes up.
Quoteafter the announcement my clan staff have been relatively quiet, openly stated they wouldn't be playing during Seasons, and been even more sporadic with being on port; despite the month already halfway being through and player numbers at an all time low I haven't seen anymore interest in my character plot nor staff support, this is just bleak. In a quarter of month, what's been done for me? My opinion has been discarded by staff, my plots remain on radio silence, and the game's been historically empty?

I'm sure some people have gotten resolution and feedback and plots, how has everyone else's experience gone?

Quote from: betweenford on January 29, 2024, 05:20:56 PMI'm sure some people have gotten resolution and feedback and plots, how has everyone else's experience gone?

I've had generally positive experience. The biggest negative was simply due to the timing. The communication needs occurred shortly before the X-mas-New Years week, and the staffer had COVID, so there was a lot of waiting to hear back. Totally understandable though, so it's not a complaint. Just a mark in the "what could possibly go wrong" column.

As for the results of the communication, it had to do with stuff that had already been ongoing, and the staff assured me that the end result, which was already in progress, would carry over and be implemented in the first Season.