Started by __Torax__, December 04, 2003, 09:26:31 PM

Drunkeness

Yes, Torax your a God.
16 (40%)
No, Uberjazz is an idiot.
24 (60%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Voting closed: December 04, 2003, 09:26:31 PM

Alright I was just drinking a while back and this idea just hit me...

You are completly plastered.

Now my little question is... When you log off your supposedly become apart of the VNCs.... But your drunkenness doesnt go down at all unless your logged in... You see my point?
ocking a fake scream, the badass scorpion exclaims to you, in
sirihish:
"Ah! Scorpions! I pissed my Wyvern trousers! Ah!"

Would you rather get hungry and thirsty while you're not logged in and wake up to find a corpse? I think not.
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Hrm... You've got a good point.. Alright.. That solves my question.
sirihish:

Drinking and eating virtually isn't the same as getting drunk again virtually.  Why would my character wait a few days and then get smashed again just so I can log on?

But... Well... If I am a VNPC I'm suddenly not going to forget to eat...
sirihish:

Eating is a daily chore.  Unless you're an alcoholic, there's a good chance you're going to be sober in a week's time.

In that case, why, if you eat, does your capital remain the same instead of decrease. Obviously, unless you're a magicker, you're not creating food. You have to BUY it.

Not unless its provided to you by either the means of hunting or your house giving it to you.
sirihish:

Problem is, you chase after realism, but only when it benefits you. When it doesn't you don't want it. So unless you'd like the realism of coin depleting from your purse, I suggest that everything remain the same. It is bearable, hell, sip your fucken drink if you don't want to get hammered. There are ways around it, you don't have to be coded drunk to be drunk.

Even still, I don't think hunters will be able to get water on their own, or at least enough to survive (granted some very good ones may, but not many), and money will go on that. Concerning houses - not everyone belongs to a house. In fact, most vnpcs don't belong to a house.

I chase after realisim when it only benefits me? No, Dirr, I chase after realisim period.
sirihish:

Another daily chore is making money, or finding food and water.

Good.

Dirr, he does have a point. It's pretty annoying to wake up an ingame week later and be hammered. If you want to use the 'well, you'd be spending money on food and drink while you're logged out, too' argument, try this one: your character would sure as hell have had to spend more money to be that plastered, a week later.

I think the problem is that your character's status is saved when you log out and doesn't change until you log back in. I don't know how to fix that, but I would not mind seeing a decrease in the length of time that a character remains drunk while logged in. Even cut in half would work - as it is now, you can get plastered at night and still be unable to even walk straight come dawn.

That's because night is significantly shorter. Isn't it like 3 hours or something? You're telling me you'll sober up after drinking heavily in three hours?

We're not saying that you sober up in one night.  We're saying that you'd be able to sober up over the course of a week.

Well, if you're going to be eating and drinking while a vnpc, why won't you be working while a vnpc?  I know that I played a outdoorsy, hunter/gatherer type that was more than able to keep food and water in good supply, selling the surplus for a small profit.  I don't see why being drunk or spiced couldn't drop, though, because those you can't get ahold of as easily or cheaply.
Quote from: MalifaxisWe need to listen to spawnloser.
Quote from: Reiterationspawnloser knows all

Quote from: SpoonA magicker is kind of like a mousetrap, the fear is the cheese. But this cheese has an AK47.

I don't know, it doesn't bother me.  Although it is sort of annoying when you forget that you were drunk.

The way I look at it is that if you get into certain conditions, you need to get out of them while logged in.     If you're hungry, next time you log in you'll still be hungry.   You need to deal with that while logged in.   If you're thirsty, next time you log in you'll still be thirsty.   You need to deal with that while logged in.   If you're tired, if you're in jail, if you're wounded, if you're lost.  Those are all negative situations that shouldn't just go away when you log out.   Same with drunkeness I think.
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

This has been requested before. I asked Xygax to take a look at how hard it would be to make characters sober up while off line.

Is it just me, or was this poll heavily in favor of Torax?   :wink:
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

Quote from: "uberjazz"Is it just me, or was this poll heavily in favor of Torax?   :wink:

Clearly... 8)
sirihish:

Nonetheless, I shall retain my previous opinion.

I think you are drunk for too long period. It sucks getting plastered and having to remain drunk for an IC week. not realistic. I think that it should either go away when you are logged off or only last 2 IC days at MOST.

Quote from: "Dead Newbie"I think you are drunk for too long period. It sucks getting plastered and having to remain drunk for an IC week. not realistic. I think that it should either go away when you are logged off or only last 2 IC days at MOST.

I agree Dead Newbie.
I have been drunk for at least 4-5 RL hours, and I am tired of being totally plastered. I have seen ppl who were so drunk they were doing a breastroke in their own vomit get better sooner.

I agree with Flurry completely.

Perhaps make the length of time you are drunk a little less for the extremely bad stages (ie can't walk) but have the middle stages longer (the hangover), and the tipsy stages very short.

Whatever. I never knew anyone in RL to be plastered for days and days no matter what they did. I think the key is you literally have to sleep it off. Not wait it out. SLEEP. Drunkness is different than hunger and being slightly injured and thirsty, in that there is usually -nothing- that can quickly remedy the situation.

Quote from: "__Torax__"Yes, Torax your a God.     

40%     [ 13 ]
No, Uberjazz is an idiot.    

59%     [ 19 ]

Torax, you spelled it wrong.  Its "you're"...not "your".

Where's the "uberjazz is a god" option?

I hereby boycott this poll.

Quote from: "Akaramu"Where's the "uberjazz is a god" option?

I hereby boycott this poll.

My new signature.