OOC and sleep

Started by crymerci, December 04, 2003, 09:01:52 PM

Do you think it would be useful to be able to ooc and hear ooc when your character is asleep?  Something in the avoid/allow thread made me think of this. There are times you need to communicate oocly when one of the parties is unconscious.

For example:
ooc: Can you turn nosave on? We're going to subdue you.
ooc: I need your ooc consent to act out mutilation/molestation while you're unconscious.
ooc: Even though I emoted out rifling through your container, I had to code-wise remove it to do so, it's back in your inventory.
ooc: afk a moment    (can't use/see gone while sleeping either)

Of course, there are ways to abuse this (aren't there always?) like "ooc: salts in my backpack" "ooc: can you drag me to safety?".  But I think there are valid reasons for wanting to be able to use this command.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

Man that would've saved me a whole lotta headache if you could OOC while sleeping at one point.

I was JUST about to log off, in my PC's apartment - door was locked, I was walking into the quit-safe room from the hall when BAM..something happens and I'm rendered unconscious.

I tried to OOC Err can we just forget this happened for now and try again an hour earlier, tomorrow please?

And couldn't.

I had to wish up - fortunately an IMM was there and explained to the folks what was going on. They chose to RP it out..in he meantime my husband was bitching at me.. to log the hell off and get to bed. I couldn't, because I was "asleep" and would've had to go linkdead.

As it was, the whole "scene" was so rushed, I might as well have just gone LD and let them kill me without my being at the computer to watch it.

I felt horribly cheated by what COULD'VE been an awesome death.

Being able to OOC that no, you can't kidnap my PC and threaten her and lecture her because I'm logging off RIGHT NOW would've at least given them the opportunity to decide if they could trust -me- the player to postpone the inevitable til the next day. If they chose not to trust me, I'd have been able to tell them OK fine, do what you want, I'm going linkdead and I'll find out that my PC is dead in the morning when I try to log on.

I couldn't even do that, and didn't want to be accused of trying to slam (logout to avoid death), so I put up with being a good 40 minutes late to bed. Pissed me off, pissed my husband off, annoyed the other people because I'm sure they had a great whole neato scene to play out..annoyed the IMMs because they had to deal with it I'm sure...

And a simple OOC while sleeping would've fixed it.

How about allowing you to hear OOC but not use OOC?

ooc Please emote laying flat and motionless as consent for me rogering your silly.

Because I was going to say Yes to your question without a doubt until the last sentence.  Having been around people who tried to emote complete consciousness while IC'ly knocked out, I think being able to OOC might lead to a lot of

ooc YOu fucking asshole don't kill me

Type of stuff.

emote rubs his templar.

The Templar whispers to you oocly was that a mistake or should I roleplay it out?

You fall unconscious
You lose contact with the way

OOC no it was a typo, I meant temple

You can't do that in your sleep

:shock:

Thankfully I cheated and did.....

emote OOC: no it was a typo, I meant temple :P

As John just pointed out, you can already ooc while asleep.  Being able to hear ooc, and ooc without cheating would be super duper, in my opinion.  I'll just say that it would've been useful for me in the past, as well.

Yeah, I've had to cheat and use the Emote OOC thing for a consent issue once. Slightly frustrating..

But I think that the player base is responsible enough it and it would be useful, especially in dealing with delicate situations with unconscious PC's.

I doubt you would get al lot of  "OOC: That’s so cheap.." “OOC: No, don’t kill my PC”

People don't do that now, why would they do it if the command were in place. Nobody likes to be taken out of the Game world; it’s one of the reasons Arm is so very addicting. I don’t like to use OOC unless I must leave really abruptly, working out an RP time, helping a newb, or consent issue, I think most of the player base think the same..

Anyhow I can only see it as a plus and much needed one at that.
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Hearing OOC in any state... absolutely.

Seeker
Sitting in your comfort,
You don't believe I'm real,
But you cannot buy protection
from the way that I feel.

I agree that it should be in place.

Yeah there's a risk of things like "OOC Smelling salts in my pack" or "OOC Bring him inside please? :) "

I've seen something like that happen before anyway, with the emote command.   I just ignored it completely.  

As it is now, if push came to shove and I _really_ needed to OOC something, I would just use emote like John said.  I know that's not the purpose of the emote command, but what else can you do?
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions of absolute reality; even larks and katydids are supposed, by some, to dream." - Shirley Jackson, The Haunting of Hill House

As of next crash/reboot, people will be able to hear OOC even when asleep or affected by deafness.  It makes sense to me that they should, but if there are any problems, please mail me. Thanks.

OOC is an OOC form of communication. Being asleep, unconcious or what not is IC problems.

You should also be able to send OOCs instead of using the emote command which is odd, and doesn't really look right. Why not just allow being about to use the OOC command when in game period?

As it is, there are ways to communicate OOCily but they aren't exactly official nor do they look right.

Or did I misread everything and you can use the OOC command when asleep or what not?

Creeper
21sters Unite!

I'd thought from the thread that you could use it while sleeping, but upon looking at the code, that wasn't the case. I changed that as well. I agree, it's a comand that shouldn't be affected by in-game considerations.

So does that mean I can have a rezz of that character so that I can re-play her death when I have time to do it? Of course you'll have to rezz all the other characters who were involved, and have died since then too...

But um..you can do it! I know you want to! Yeah!

Or maybe I'll just say - THANKS SANVEAN! Awesome change, I'm looking forward to my next SAP - at - logoff - time so I can try it out.