Am I the lone ranger with this...

Started by Cowboy, October 18, 2023, 12:57:10 PM

There have been many changes to this game in the last couple of years.  I don't know the overall affect, one way or the other...good or bad, on the game.  I have noticed that it is becoming harder and harder to play an independent, mundane character.  You can gulp down 2,3 or 4 tablets and still die or come so close it's not funny.  You can't raise a weapons skill on any NPC or beast or average player.  You have to be with a much more advanced character and spar regularly.  The game pushes you into combat clans with skill boosts that you can never hope to achieve on your own.  Before you say it, there is a place in this game for the lone hunter/grebber or a sword seller.  People need minions.  Not all of us seek fame and promotion.  I just want to play the game.  I am not in a place in my life where I can do justice to leadership roles or even be an everyday soldier or merc. (I have tried more magic user characters, then before, because there are plenty of those options available. Still can't wrap my head around it and get the same enjoyment as my mundane characters.)  I still want to add to the game.  I do get some satisfaction from the "grind' and getting better...Being a better hunter, a better grebber, better at filling orders, better with a weapon or a bow.  However, that part of the game seems to be a thing of the past for my type of character.  I have seen other folks, in character, that seem to understand these issues and are trying to make some IC options.  I think this is good.  I have some hope. I do want to hear if you have noticed these kinds of things and how it affects your play.     
I'd rather be lucky than good.

I have noticed that "more vulnerable/weaker" mobs with ability to poison have the ability to kill a newer PC who wants to prey on weaker/more vulnerable mobs.  Due to the difficulty in finding people who know how to make cures, getting them to actually make them fresh for you since they degrade in quality, affording "one of each," needing them before they degrade in quality in your inventory - it's a daunting task to even attempt to set out on your own in areas that have those kinds of mobs.

There are other areas where those mobs don't exist or are rare, but THOSE mobs are harder to kill, and harder to defend yourself against.

I'd love to see a more "newly hatched PC-friendly" area for independents. Either that, or some kind of boost to people who do -not- come from a city, a natural resistance (not immunity) to certain poisons.  Or people who select certain classes/subclasses would have that natural resistance to certain poisons built in to the skillset.

Maybe any class that comes with wilderness stealth, would have a natural resistance to poison attacks from critters outside the gates. Even if it's just a 10% resistance, it'd make a huge difference to those folks who just want to be independent hunters whose players select appropriate skillsets for the role.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

remove the angks from the tablelands
make the cactus snakes not poisonous anymore

the roof snakes can stay poisonous

hunt out of rsv/allanak and you will probably not die of poison unless someone drags a mob somewhere super wack

October 18, 2023, 02:08:44 PM #3 Last Edit: October 18, 2023, 02:24:44 PM by Inks
I have seen people die to normal mob poison recently but I think it is fairly rare unless you are a new PC in the Red or something unwise like that.

(Not including really dangerous mobs that wreck new PCs with poison on top)

Other than that I suggest buying player cures over any standard shop available cures....You could also make a PC with brew if you want to be a lone ranger as you say, and you'll see the difference in cure effectiveness.

Lotion is correct about burn poison being a lot rarer in the general Vrun.

The difficulty with being able to effectively train your weapon skills without a combat clan I think is a real issue. I always said I'd like to see a training dojo somewhere that you could pay a membership to, where you could access training for a fee that didn't mean you had to be a soldier or a merc character.

None of you here are going to like this, but...

I'm pretty sure this is in fact how it's intended and how it is honestly best. If you could get super high weapon skills and become a super jacked weaponmaster without having to interact, people would do that and they would make the game miserable going around flexing on everybody else. They do this already without being a super jacked weaponmaster, sometimes.

Instead, it requires roleplay, interaction, and enriching the play experiences of others to get your combat skills high.

Aaaand... that's how it should be.

October 19, 2023, 04:05:03 AM #6 Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 04:18:36 AM by Inks
Oh wow me and Windstorm completely agree on something! Soldiers learn by training together, this is more effective at honing your sword skills than stabbing volcano rats and birds. Makes sense 100%, encourages RP and co-operation.

You old hands will remember the old days where animals were pretty much the only way to advance, before the fixes to sparring etc. It is still very possible to advance with animals, especially large fast and dangerous ones, such as tarantulas, it is just slower than professional military training...as it should be.

But it isn't any slower than it used to be in the old days. Sparring was just improved to be more effective.

So it looks like if I want to play an independent.  I need, good stats.  The brew skill.  The knowledge to actually use the skill to personal benefit, which I don't have.  Even if I did have the knowledge of how to make the cures, I am still lacking the knowledge of where to find the reagents for the cures.  Combined with the ability to fend off more or less anything that may be in the area.

As a reminder I've definitely seen "new poison" on the changes recently but I think I still haven't seen "new cure"?  Which, again very Arm.  I suppose we've come down to it.  If my choices are, be forced to exclusively play in a combat clan until I learn how to make my own cures, and where everything is or go play something else. 

It's like, a bunch of you seem to forget not everyone knows what you do about Armageddon.  I'm not interested in joining some secret cabal off ooc players either so I guess I'm out of luck.  Fuck this waste of time.
"Elves are kinda antagonistic by default, aren't they? I'd say being an opportunist who robs and raids, particularly when there's low risk of consequence, is inherent to the elven experience." -Seltzer

Delves, shitty by design.

The new poison doesn't have a cure. Luckily, it's also not available to players.

I figured that true independents able to do absolutely everything themselves were rare for a reason. There should be some co-operation, even betweeen three people starting their own genuinely independent group. At least one crime gang did it, and it wasn't even that long ago.

Quote from: Trevalyan on October 19, 2023, 06:41:33 AMThe new poison doesn't have a cure. Luckily, it's also not available to players.

I figured that true independents able to do absolutely everything themselves were rare for a reason. There should be some co-operation, even betweeen three people starting their own genuinely independent group. At least one crime gang did it, and it wasn't even that long ago.

Which I suppose if I was interested in wasting my time with a PC standing around in the mandatory location's at the mandatory times to accomplish, in the end, nothing of substance anyway.  I guess I just really needed pointed out how absolutely miserable it will probably be to try and play this game as a non-peak player if I don't want to play a class that never leaves the city.  I guess I'm just not excited about years of investing time to play city aides, or the Bynner that trains mostly alone.  Or maybe I get lucky and find one other off-peak player, leaving my entire experience to crumble when they disappear.

The new poison, not being available to players doesn't make me feel better.  Just going to guess who has more successful PK's average, staff or players.  The fact that a new poison was introduced, at all, with no ability to cure it.  AGAIN, is VERY Armageddon.  Like, spreading taint laden beasts across, the entirety of the map while making cures more complicated and difficult and annoying.  It's like there's a pattern, where changes make playing just more fucking awful without, really anything ever being done to encourage people to keep wasting there time.  It's hard for me to look over the last year of the change log and not think "is Staff just, trying to run folks off?"
"Elves are kinda antagonistic by default, aren't they? I'd say being an opportunist who robs and raids, particularly when there's low risk of consequence, is inherent to the elven experience." -Seltzer

Delves, shitty by design.

With the way characters now start with boosts (and even boosts on top of the existing class boosts with the mini-sponsored-roles thing) the game is a lot easier than it used to be by all accounts, and as one of the people that hasn't played for decades I find these kind of posts really emotionally draining to read, because I find the challenge of the game fun and interesting, and I feel like the pushes some people want would run the game would be run into the ground and make it even more boring for a lot of people, because there's already serious issues with how safe the desert has become due to the skill boosts and people literally just farming gith now.

I would take things the other way, I think due to people being upset when staff spawns NPCs right next to them (which is understandable due to the unequal way this tends to done on players, and affects peak players more for example) we need some sort of Left 4 Dead style AI director that spawns groups of NPCs depending on the situation - people should actually think "Is wiping out every NPC I see in the Red Desert going to bring a gith warband down on me and my friends" etc.

The snakes are kind of a stop-gap solution to the people that try to farm the world as a newbie character, and they definitely have a purpose. The Red Fangs established that elves are not the threat they used to be:
What else would be dangerous in the red?
Why would anyone team up?
Why would anyone trade for supplies?
Why is the most dangerous trade route in the known usually a stroll through empty sands whistling and singing for the Byn unless staff decide to do something interesting?
We have a giant disconnect between how dangerous the world is meant to be in the lore and how it is really. We rely a LOT on players/staff to make things exciting atm, and that's impossible to have all the time, I've not heard of many quitting because Armageddon is too hard, usually it seems to be people just getting bored.
"A time of ash shall mark the rise of the cities. Days of old shall be new once more."
"The paths diversify, bright strands bring victory, the wrong steps defeat."

Quote from: GreenTransient on October 19, 2023, 06:54:41 AMThe new poison, not being available to players doesn't make me feel better.  Just going to guess who has more successful PK's average, staff or players.  The fact that a new poison was introduced, at all, with no ability to cure it.  AGAIN, is VERY Armageddon.  Like, spreading taint laden beasts across, the entirety of the map while making cures more complicated and difficult and annoying.  It's like there's a pattern, where changes make playing just more fucking awful without, really anything ever being done to encourage people to keep wasting there time.  It's hard for me to look over the last year of the change log and not think "is Staff just, trying to run folks off?"

Stepping in to correct some misinformation here. Which is difficult because I'd like to keep discovery in character whenever possible.  There is indeed a 'new' poison which is in reality just adding functionality beyond what the existing code allows us to do. It is not yet live anywhere in the game world as it's still being tested. This is also a player driven initiative and I'm quite thankful for all support given by other staff members and the interest of the players involved to continue the project as I think it's a minor improvement to something already in the game.

Armageddon has a lot of barriers to information. The dreaded FOIC. The intention there is for there to be a sense of discovery while playing the game. It would be nice if the assumption when seeing something new like this was 'Oh wow, I wonder what that is?' instead of 'Staff want to kill players.'  The latter is not the case.
'Nom Nom Nom!' - Oenom

Quote from: Inks on October 19, 2023, 04:05:03 AMOh wow me and Windstorm completely agree on something! Soldiers learn by training together, this is more effective at honing your sword skills than stabbing volcano rats and birds. Makes sense 100%, encourages RP and co-operation.

You old hands will remember the old days where animals were pretty much the only way to advance, before the fixes to sparring etc. It is still very possible to advance with animals, especially large fast and dangerous ones, such as tarantulas, it is just slower than professional military training...as it should be.

But it isn't any slower than it used to be in the old days. Sparring was just improved to be more effective.

Could/should sparring be rewarded even MORE than it is now, or do you think its good as is? It seems like it takes ages to level combat in comparison to other skills. It's hard to coordinate spars in comparison with training alone.

October 19, 2023, 01:39:37 PM #13 Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 01:44:40 PM by Inks
Oh it is super quick I feel like. It is totally at a level it should be left as is. In my opinion!

And yes weapon skills gain slower than most skills but soooo much quicker than the old days.

Mostly I never got past J/M on my weapon skills back then unless I was going full autist on a PC. Now advanced/master on at least one weapon skill is pretty chill.

You would have to do some heinous stuff to master weapon skills, for the most part, thank god we no longer live in that reality.

Quote from: GreenTransient on October 19, 2023, 06:29:07 AMSo it looks like if I want to play an independent.  I need, good stats.  The brew skill.  The knowledge to actually use the skill to personal benefit, which I don't have.  Even if I did have the knowledge of how to make the cures, I am still lacking the knowledge of where to find the reagents for the cures.  Combined with the ability to fend off more or less anything that may be in the area.

As a reminder I've definitely seen "new poison" on the changes recently but I think I still haven't seen "new cure"?  Which, again very Arm.  I suppose we've come down to it.  If my choices are, be forced to exclusively play in a combat clan until I learn how to make my own cures, and where everything is or go play something else. 

It's like, a bunch of you seem to forget not everyone knows what you do about Armageddon.  I'm not interested in joining some secret cabal off ooc players either so I guess I'm out of luck.  Fuck this waste of time.

This isn't a single-player game though - it's billed as a RPI in which you're intended to interact to find out things. I recently attempted to lone-wolf it (in a way... I'm a very social type player), and it was really stinking hard. I could figure out stuff to float along, but I wasn't learning what I needed to learn to rp what I wanted to do well so I had to shift gears even though it broke my concept a little. Some games reward lone-wolfing, but this one doesn't seem like it's intended here. This game rewards joining up with other people or IC organizations and I think that's a positive because it fosters interaction and storytelling beyond just an isolated player.

QuoteMostly I never got past J/M on my weapon skills back then unless I was going full autist on a PC. Now advanced/master on at least one weapon skill is pretty chill.

You would have to do some heinous stuff to master weapon skills, for the most part, thank god we no longer live in that reality.

Honestly it wouldn't even be that bad.  Most content in the game is doable at J/M weapon skills for the most part, aside from a few notables that if you're trying to do them solo with high weapon skills you're still kind of stupid to attempt it.

The problem BACK THEN was that there was branching attached to weapon skills for a class, so them being inordinately difficult to get that high actually blocked you out of what felt like the full realization of said class and making it feel disadvantaged as far as visible progression.  Now I don't believe there's anything blocked by them AND they go up more reliably, resulting in a win win.

Honestly, I really wish people could understand to NOT emphasize weapon-skill maxxery the same way they do with role-defining skills.  Even if you think these are role-defining, they are not.  Weapon skills are on a whole different plane of skills, made to be a steady progression throughout a long life, not something that you get up first before you can start living.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

October 19, 2023, 02:15:18 PM #16 Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 03:04:47 PM by Inks
Need a lot of roleplay in the sparring circle to be able to be able to convincingly roleplay with hostile raiders.  ;)

I wasn't saying maxxing a weapon skill is that important just that it is easier now. But gimme my weapon skill because the rush of endorphins to my brain when something goes from j/m to advanced is chef's kiss.

October 19, 2023, 02:18:05 PM #17 Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 03:48:42 PM by Halaster
Armageddon is billed as a "harsh, post-apocalyptic desert world" which should imply that it's supposed to be a bit difficult.  Not everyone likes that kind of game, and that's OK!  But this is the game we want, and have always had.  Over the 30+ years the game has been running, we evolve and adjust.  We want to provide a fun, challenging experience but no, we don't want it to be outright impossible for new players.  As @papertiger mentioned, however, the emphasis of this game is on roleplaying, and that typically means interacting with other people (although, there's certainly a place for single-player periods).

In real life, if you attempted to go out in some of the harshest parts of the world without modern equipment, you'd have a rough time.  Think of places like the Sahara or the Sonoran or the Gobi.  There are certain people who can handle that alone for a time, they have all the survival skills they would need.  But not everyone does, and those who don't would have a very hard time, if not outright perishing, unless they brought the proper equipment and were told how to survive by someone who knows.  In other words, they must properly prepare ahead of time.

The same is true of the Zalanthan wastes.  If you don't know what you're doing, and don't have the proper equipment (i.e. have prepared), you will have a hard time, if not outright perish.  This is the game's design, and always has been, we make no secret of that.  That is the roleplaying challenge we present - play the life of a character who is trying to survive that - or survive the cities with their own set of dangers.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Quote from: Armaddict on October 19, 2023, 02:05:39 PMNow I don't believe there's anything blocked by them AND they go up more reliably, resulting in a win win.

There are still classes that branch from their weapon skills. Enforcer is a good example, requiring you to level up your Piercing skill to unlock backstab.
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: lostinspace on October 19, 2023, 04:43:04 PM
Quote from: Armaddict on October 19, 2023, 02:05:39 PMNow I don't believe there's anything blocked by them AND they go up more reliably, resulting in a win win.

There are still classes that branch from their weapon skills. Enforcer is a good example, requiring you to level up your Piercing skill to unlock backstab.

Ah, you're right.  Isn't this the only case though?  I can remember this coming up in the class discussion and it being explicitly said that it was because they didn't want most enforcers to end up getting it.  It was meant to be an uncommon branch by design, and probably not something that you chose the class for, and rather an expansion to make the long lived enforcer 'special'.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Only thing I have to say about this topic is that non-intelligent non-humanoids shouldn't have disarm. Thank you, have a nice day.
I was told this game was full of twinks, all I found was power gamers.

Quote from: Kavrick on October 19, 2023, 06:14:53 PMOnly thing I have to say about this topic is that non-intelligent non-humanoids shouldn't have disarm. Thank you, have a nice day.

Hmmm, I think they have more intellect than you are giving them credit. Keep in mind that every intelligent creature in Known, can and does use the Way, and psionics in some shape or form, per https://armageddon.org/help/view/Psionics .

Please do not confuse ability to use the way.

Jozhals can use the way.

I dont need (another) psionic jozhal overlord.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

October 19, 2023, 10:51:42 PM #23 Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 11:14:57 PM by Inks
If dwarves are allowed disarm bahamets are allowed disarm.

Quote from: Armaddict on October 19, 2023, 04:58:24 PM
Quote from: lostinspace on October 19, 2023, 04:43:04 PM

Ah, you're right.  Isn't this the only case though?

No. Also soldier.

You are making stuff up unintentionally, but there is a difference in that you don't need to master enforcer or soldier weapon skills to branch them so they are purposely attainable over a long time, even enforcer. There is now no skills that "most" long lived characters will never ever branch.

It was warriors branching advanced weapon skills and assassins for some reason branching....knifemaking from master piercing weapons which was a pretty baffling unnattainable thing and it capped at advanced haha. At least the current branching makes sense.

October 19, 2023, 11:25:44 PM #24 Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 11:27:35 PM by Trevalyan
Quote from: Inks on October 19, 2023, 10:51:42 PMbut there is a difference in that you don't need to master enforcer or soldier weapon skills to branch them so they are purposely attainable over a long time, even enforcer.

(Redacted! Sorry Inks.)

October 19, 2023, 11:27:13 PM #25 Last Edit: October 19, 2023, 11:36:25 PM by Inks
Redacted because Trev redacted. Nuffen to see here guvnor ;)

On topic: Halaster's response was awesome imo.

QuoteYou are making stuff up unintentionally, but there is a difference in that you don't need to master enforcer or soldier weapon skills to branch them so they are purposely attainable over a long time, even enforcer. There is now no skills that "most" long lived characters will never ever branch.

I stand corrected!  Thanks for clarifying it because that probably would have devolved into a pointless side conversation.

The problem with poisonous critters like a snake is it can poison a newb ten times if they get shitty luck and then it takes massive amounts of cures to fix or they die.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

October 20, 2023, 02:49:12 AM #28 Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 02:53:30 AM by LindseyBalboa
NVM
Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

Quote from: Pariah on October 20, 2023, 12:10:29 AMThe problem with poisonous critters like a snake is it can poison a newb ten times if they get shitty luck and then it takes massive amounts of cures to fix or they die.

I'm still of the firm opinion that poisons should not stack. I remember I nearly died after getting bitten three times by red desert snakes, after taking three cures. I took something like 90 damage even after taking the cures. Poison stacking also makes scorpions an absolute chore, getting hit multiple times means you have to wait irl hours sometimes for it to pass.

Another thought - (my thoughts would all involve new coding or scripting or adding to existing scripts so...just wishes):

if poisons are to continue to be stackable, then add a "max-stack" line.  No one's poison can be upped by more than "x" percent of the original hit as long as the poison effect from that original hit is still active. Can replace "x percent" with "x new poison successes" if percent doesn't seem right.  My suggestion is basically "don't beat a dead horse." They're already dying of poison. No need to add insult to injury. Let the fekkers at least TRY to deal with it, if the low-dose poison isn't a lethal one.

Quote from: Kavrick on October 20, 2023, 08:21:34 AMI'm still of the firm opinion that poisons should not stack. I remember I nearly died after getting bitten three times by red desert snakes, after taking three cures. I took something like 90 damage even after taking the cures. Poison stacking also makes scorpions an absolute chore, getting hit multiple times means you have to wait irl hours sometimes for it to pass.

I certainly wouldn't mind if certain quality cures could eliminate all instances of poison in the body, not just one.

maybe shouldn't be going alone when know will probably be repeatedly poisoned though? Just making it into a "throw more money at it" problem is missing the issue, people have stopped treating the wilds as dangerous and treat it as a problem to be fixed, that's why the Byn get bored and don't get many jobs and rely so much on nobles etc, the natural danger of the world got reduced a lot. People don't want to hire the Byn.

I think the skill bumps made people think it's normal for everyone to go out into this insanely dangerous wastes alone, and snakes are a way to try encourage people to RP more, they are fine as they are really, and the real problem is they don't challenge the more established characters and there's usually no world response stuff when people are doing incredibly violent mass-murder of gith etc: The cities are more dangerous than the wilds and THAT'S why allanak died
"A time of ash shall mark the rise of the cities. Days of old shall be new once more."
"The paths diversify, bright strands bring victory, the wrong steps defeat."

Quote from: Kavrick on October 20, 2023, 08:21:34 AMI remember I nearly died

Nearly :)

That's danger, and many consider it fun.  Poison deaths are still quite low, even after the changes.  There ARE a lot more close calls, where people nearly die, but do manage to recover.  I can't speak for others, but to me that's kinda fun.  Getting close to death but surviving?  That's a story to tell for that character. 

You were out in the desert, got bit by one snake:  "I tell ya, Amos, last time I was ought that way I nearly got taken out by some damn snakes!  Eight of 'em were on me, it was mad!  I got the shivers, and puked my guts out, but those little feks couldn' beat me!".

October 20, 2023, 09:40:41 AM #34 Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 09:47:29 AM by Kavrick
Quote from: Halaster on October 20, 2023, 09:11:40 AM
Quote from: Kavrick on October 20, 2023, 08:21:34 AMI remember I nearly died

Nearly :)

That's danger, and many consider it fun.  Poison deaths are still quite low, even after the changes.  There ARE a lot more close calls, where people nearly die, but do manage to recover.  I can't speak for others, but to me that's kinda fun.  Getting close to death but surviving?  That's a story to tell for that character. 

You were out in the desert, got bit by one snake:  "I tell ya, Amos, last time I was ought that way I nearly got taken out by some damn snakes!  Eight of 'em were on me, it was mad!  I got the shivers, and puked my guts out, but those little feks couldn' beat me!".

I think personally I don't have a huge issue with the 'danger' aspect. But my main issues come down to two things. One, finding cures can be incredibly difficult, you don't always have access to a someone who has brew and even if you do manage to find someone with brew, cures can rot and become useless, and the only ones you can buy are so extremely weak that you basically have to eat a boatload of them to get them to work. And two, poisons last way too long.

A lot of the time I avoid poisonous creatures not because they're dangerous, but because they mean I have to sit down somewhere and afk for multiple hours until they go away. A dangerous creature that can do 40-60 damage to me in a fight is scary, but I can rest up, bandage and heal that up pretty easily. But if I get jabbed by a scorpion or something, I'm out of commission for a few ic days if I'm lucky.

Quote from: Kavrick on October 20, 2023, 09:40:41 AMbecause they mean I have to sit down somewhere and afk for multiple hours

Why do you have to go afk?  Why can't you Roleplay out being poisoned and how it's affecting you, and being sick, and all that?

Quote from: Halaster on October 20, 2023, 10:01:54 AMWhy do you have to go afk?  Why can't you Roleplay out being poisoned and how it's affecting you, and being sick, and all that?

I play off-peak and there isn't always people in places like Luir's and such to roleplay with. And maybe this is on me, but I don't find skellebane rp particularly interesting after the hundredth time, I know that's more a subjective problem but I don't feel like there's much you can do with it without it getting repetitive.

Being poisoned is a different deal if you have people around, but you don't always have people around, especially if you're not an american player. If I decide to go out hunting around Noon-6pm, it's rare that I'll bump into anyone.

Man, you gave me flashbacks to like the old, old boards (the threaded ones) where some players wanted wounds to take multiple IC days to heal *shudder*!

Quote from: Brokkr on October 20, 2023, 11:17:28 AMMan, you gave me flashbacks to like the old, old boards (the threaded ones) where some players wanted wounds to take multiple IC days to heal *shudder*!

I feel confident people wanted that so that if their targets got away, it took longer for them to heal to full and be ready to attack back.

The game is harsh, and while I agree with Halaster on the "why not roleplay it out" I also empathize on "I play often and I'm sick of RPing shoveling shit for the 20th time".

If there's nobody around to enjoy your RP, you might decide to just sit in a room and "wait it out". I don't know how to balance that.

Quote from: Brokkr on October 20, 2023, 11:17:28 AMMan, you gave me flashbacks to like the old, old boards (the threaded ones) where some players wanted wounds to take multiple IC days to heal *shudder*!

Oh god I have played RPIs where that is a thing. Ruff.

Pretty sure one of the SoI clones was like that or Atonement or something. I forget.

Quote from: Riev on October 20, 2023, 11:28:11 AM...I agree with Halaster...

I got a new signature.

Y'know, I unironically like this idea. Just so there's actually room for 'physician' type characters like medics and such.

Quote from: Kavrick on October 20, 2023, 02:19:56 PM

Y'know, I unironically like this idea. Just so there's actually room for 'physician' type characters like medics and such.

Hard no on that.  My one and only experience with SoI solidified my opinion on that. My character went exploring in the city and I fell into a hole. I was injured. I couldn't climb back out. I didn't know anyone to ask to get back out. No one saw me in there, no one came in there, I logged out after an hour or so trying, and getting more and more injured. Came back 2 days later suffering from gangrene. I tried to forcefully suicide so I could make a new character. Didn't happen, couldn't figure out how, so I quit in frustration and just didn't bother trying to play ever again.

Quote from: Lizzie on October 20, 2023, 03:42:41 PMHard no on that.  My one and only experience with SoI solidified my opinion on that. My character went exploring in the city and I fell into a hole. I was injured. I couldn't climb back out.

Snipping the quote just to not make this post huge. I think it can be implemented badly, but you could also do something lighter. One idea I had, was make it so health is kinda similar to stamina, where the more stamina you use, the lower your max is, until you properly sleep to fill it back up. Could do something like that with health, where the more damage you take, the lower your max health is until you properly get your wounds treated. It could also be capped like the stamina reduction, to not make it too overbearing, but still encourage using bandages and such.

I think effects which result in players frequently running around with much lower maximum hp is very potentially bad because they will be put much closer to oneshot range.

If the byn falls off the shield wall and then the survivors rest up they will literally just get picked off one by one by hiding spiders/dujat on their wya back to allanak because the hits from hiding will just do all of their hitpoints as damage.

Note: Arm technically already has a "wounds" system, such as it is.

Double-note: I have never agreed with Halaster once. We have fought on like seventy five different fronts. But when all is said and all is done... Halaster has beliefs. Brokkr has none.

Don't hit me.

Quote from: Lotion on October 20, 2023, 03:56:53 PMI think effects which result in players frequently running around with much lower maximum hp is very potentially bad because they will be put much closer to oneshot range.

If the byn falls off the shield wall and then the survivors rest up they will literally just get picked off one by one by hiding spiders/dujat on their wya back to allanak because the hits from hiding will just do all of their hitpoints as damage.

I mean... Can't you just say the same thing about random stats with endurance? I don't want to seem like I'm changing the topic, but endurance rng can give you between 80 and 120 hp. Also most one-shot damage is completely avoidable, especially considering jumping off the shield wall now gives you a warning beforehand.

Quote from: Riev on October 20, 2023, 03:57:34 PMBut when all is said and all is done... Halaster has beliefs. Brokkr has none.

I believe Riev doesn't like me!

YOU BELIEFS ARE UNSOUND!

Also Brokkr fit with the rhyme scheme more than "usiku". I needed 2 syllables. Thats all you're good for, Brokkr. SYLLABLES.

Also most one-shot damage is completely avoidable, especially considering jumping off the shield wall now gives you a warning beforehand.
[/quote]
A lot of one-shot damage is much less avoidable. Backstab and bash both can do a lot of damage. You might not take much damage from bash itself but the enemy gets to attack you until you stand up and flee and that can be a lot of damage.

LOL pretty sure I was one of those ...
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870