Mundane->In-Game->Boost

Started by LindseyBalboa, September 17, 2023, 01:14:19 PM

Suggestion:

At 2+ karma, which is when one can start easily picking full magickers, mundane PCs no longer require application approvals to enter the game.

Instead, the application for the PC might go to another queue or to the end of the application queue to be looked over at some point.

Karma is a level of trust that a player understands the world and this would reward achieving a higher level of that without taking away anything from anyone else.

I also think it is likely to increase the amount of mundane PCs on-grid. Getting immediately back into the action is very attractive sometimes.

This is also easily taken away if a player shows they aren't at the point where they can create a PC and have it go to grid without staff oversight.

Thanks for reading.

Fallow Maks For New Elf Sorc ERP:
sad
some of y'all have cringy as fuck signatures to your forum posts

More 'staff trust' should at times equal less 'staff work', shouldn't it? I don't know, but I know I love this idea. It's dopamine enhancing. It's skid tested and smother approved. I like it, and I can't really see a problem that would arise that couldn't be solved be less work and effort that is currently being put in.
"...only listeners will hear your true pronunciation."

I vibe with this.

However!

Does that include mundane PCs that use a karma-required race?

I do think those still should go through the app process

If staff wants to have some control over descs and background, maybe they could be reviewed after they're let in too?

Sure, but I'll never get 2 karma so I don't really care.
I remember recruiting this Half elf girl. And IMMEDIATELY taking her out on a contract. Right as we go into this gith hole I tell her "Remember your training, and you'll be fine." and she goes "I have no training." Then she died

As a high karma player, I have definitely had character submissions that needed to edit the grammar mistakes, spelling, etc even after I reviewed it twice.

Reviewing after you are in game is a stop-gap, considering that if there were corrections to be made, it requires you to be online for the changes to take effect.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: papertiger on September 17, 2023, 05:10:35 PMIf staff wants to have some control over descs and background, maybe they could be reviewed after they're let in too?

Fixing an existing character after they've already logged in involves a lot more than fixing it during the application process. You need an authorized staffer available to do it. New staff members don't have that authorization and with very few exceptions, only admin+ can change a player-character's description "on the fly," as it were.

I can also tell you there've been players with full karma, who've screwed up something significant in their mundane character background because they just didn't understand the nature of what they were trying to do. This requires a back and forth. For example you can't just show up in game expecting your character to be able to become an influential [insert role] when your character is a half-elf. Either the code won't allow it to happen, or the staff would need to ask the player to re-submit as an elf. Or human. Or whatever it needs to be.  Even something like a mutant - where the player thinks their idea will work fine within the parameters of the help file but overlooked the fact that a mutant whose torso attaches to their head with no neck, needs to not be codedly capable of wearing a gorget or anything else that is worn only on the neck.

Many of these things can be addressed during chargen, and take admin to handle once a character is approved.

Better to get all this out of the way before the player logs their character in.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.