Idea: Increase cast times for STRONG spells

Started by mansa, May 20, 2023, 09:44:57 PM

I like my "die on casting" idea more.

Either leave kick and bash as interrupts or remove mage Subguilds and force them to be squishy full casters.

Quote from: Case on June 01, 2023, 02:45:15 PM
Quote from: BadSkeelz on June 01, 2023, 02:42:25 PM
Quote from: Case on June 01, 2023, 02:28:20 PM
If they're in timing parity, kick and bash shouldn't interrupt or block casting, imo.

Something has to.

Increase failure rates for being hit, no ability to cast if you're attacked by 3+ things at once?
3-5 humanoid combatants maybe? That way incidental things like 3 rats dont stop magick?

3 opponents above x size?

Quote from: Case on June 01, 2023, 02:45:15 PM
Quote from: BadSkeelz on June 01, 2023, 02:42:25 PM
Quote from: Case on June 01, 2023, 02:28:20 PM
If they're in timing parity, kick and bash shouldn't interrupt or block casting, imo.

Something has to.

Increase failure rates for being hit, no ability to cast if you're attacked by 3+ things at once?

Currently, because we're in no-AoO land, odds are that you'll not be hit at all during the casting process. So.. No, not as-is.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

just type flee self when they draw upon whateverthefuck and then watch the direction to know when it's safe to run back in and type charge/bash

Quote from: Lotion on June 04, 2023, 10:00:53 PM
just type flee self when they draw upon whateverthefuck and then watch the direction to know when it's safe to run back in and type charge/bash

While applauding the thought of tactical combat being worth doing as opposed to the idea that emoting should have drastic impacts on the other person's experience, this is also shortchanging how impactful these kinds of actions can actually be.  If you delay so that you can flee for a spell-cast, you're not using those delays at your disposal to prevent it in the first place, or to keep them from simply walking away from you.  This same interplay comes in with archers and movement, and pretty much any other pvp experience.

So I'm not sure if this was meant as a joke, or just someone who hasn't done a lot of pvp, but the 'hold all commands til I know if I have to flee' doesn't actually work that well in pvp on Armageddon, unless you're in a vast overmatchup in the first place.  Generally speaking that will result in 1.  The need to flee and 2. The freedom of your adversary to prevent you from fleeing via whatever means they have available.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger