ponder <skill>

Started by RheaGhe, May 18, 2023, 01:28:27 PM

I've been thinking of a way to do this. But one of the things that's hard is finding IC reasons to train certain things or ways to train things. Or discovering recipes and the like that are doable with your level of training.

I'd propose a ponder command. Which offers a semi-random list of suggested training methods based on your location. Possibly with IC warnings, told from your characters perspective based on their level in that skill.

Example: ponder hunt
You think,
"Hmmm, I hear great merchant houses often hire hunters and provide them training in exchange for service."

example: ponder climb
In allanak:
You think,
"Hmmm, I've seen some rooftops in the <QUARTER> maybe climb up to those for some practice."

Example: Ponder Knife Making
You think,
"I think if I had something like [material for knife recipe within skill level], I could practice making a knife of some sort with it."

Example: ponder <spell>
You think,
"Just a [little|lot|some] more effort. Maybe then I'll figure out my next step on my path with <ELEMENT NAME>."

I realize it might be a lot of effort. But it would provide an in character level of guidance, and a way to articulate what is currently just a tedious sort of "feel."

Disagree, on the grounds that you can just ask any other PC in game for ideas.

I do understand that its hard to do if there ARE no players in your area, but for the most part people are willing to help so long as there is more effort than "say i would like to be the best climber will someone show me how".

Other than combat skills, I've never had an issue figuring out "how to gain skills" that couldn't be solved by "asking someone who does it".
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.