Code Suggestion: Artistry / Music as a skill

Started by Foulspawn, February 04, 2023, 01:30:01 AM

Sorry if this was already discussed, a cursory search did reveal some music discussion from 2012, but that's 10+ years ago so might as well bring this up again. Contrary to what people might say, mechanics draw people in just as much as roleplaying does, even more (they might tell you otherwise, but they're lying. I would know, I lie about it too).

It'd be interesting to have music as a coded mechanic, which would grant bards or bard-like characters the ability to actually do something with their skillset or dedicate themselves to that. It could grant you a buff to your stats, given that you got a reprise from the savage life on Zalanthas. While it can be game-ified and abused by people, that applies to everything. Sit around a camp fire and draw some tunes or settle in a bar and listen in.

As for how it would work past that, you could make it into a money making endeavor as well. You can perform once per X time in each tavern, which would give you a reason to go to different taverns and play out your heart. Do well enough and you might get some food or something to drink (VNPCs and all that) or even get some money, given you did well enough. This skills it up and such.

I'd like to hear your opinion on this and views of it.

I'm all for RP things backed up by skill.

It would be cool.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

I'm imagine this could be similar to how drawing skill works as well.

Things get tagged with how well it'd done based on a skill roll, and players could actually play to their skills.

Might give some interesting development of bard characters as well. I rarely see them make mistakes and this might be an interesting layer onto them.
21sters Unite!

Only if I can force all non-linkdead player characters who stuck around for the performance have to pass a "pay" skill.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

February 04, 2023, 07:22:24 PM #4 Last Edit: February 04, 2023, 07:28:51 PM by FantasyWriter
Quote from: Riev on February 04, 2023, 05:02:16 PM
Only if I can force all non-linkdead player characters who stuck around for the performance have to pass a "pay" skill.

Performance art is 100% RP. I've known very few of these characters who didn't roleplay messing up from time to time. Every other skill had a coded benefit (something to sell, something to kill, something to get from your kill, tracking a real PC/NPC down. While Riev's comment may (or may not) have been tongue-in-cheek, this is essentially what you are asking for.  The pay for performance art is judged by the roleplay/value of the character.  If you want this to have a coded cost to achieve a certain type of roleplay, there should also be a coded benefit.

Also, RPing a performance artist takes a LOT of effort on the players part to write/type/script performances.  Coded skills take a one-ten words to be typed.  Not the same.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

Also, I would love to see more performance art in game (especially novice-journeyman level performers). I would not like to see anything restrict something that is already a semi-rare occurrence.
Quote from: Twilight on January 22, 2013, 08:17:47 PMGreb - To scavenge, forage, and if Whira is with you, loot the dead.
Grebber - One who grebs.

I used slight of hand on a burglar once to do "magic" in the Gaj and made quite a bit of coin doing it.

Till a Templar made me take the gem and punished me for doing magic in the city... womp womp...
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"