Guarding specific resources by groups or pcs

Started by Dracul, January 27, 2023, 08:36:36 AM

A long 'meta' problem that has been addressed has been the randomization of poison plants and other things.

If you get all the xxx and harvest all the xxx and skin all the xxx no one else can.

What if that's the goal of a group of characters?

Ranging from the solo player harvesting and stockpiling all of xxx to say the elves keeping everyone out of the tablelands or tuluk controlling harvesting of xxx or the crimson wind or the or the or the. What if it is just a group of NPCs that suddenly keep everyone out of xxx area and now YOU can't get at that resource?

Should this affect the economy? Should it just affect the PCs and the available shopkeeper inventory (for buying and selling) or should it also affect things for npcs and virtually as well? How long do you think it should take for every merchant to be wearing copper masks and wearing kiyet capes if groups have access to those?
Veteran Newbie

January 28, 2023, 09:33:02 AM #1 Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 10:16:31 AM by Inks
While it would be great to have a dynamic market it is a whole lot of work for imms I believe, when it has previously come up. If it a shortage related to a plot I have seen imms implement these a fair few times.

The black market (PC black market) in cities always seems to work with supply and demand though, another reason criminal sphere is fun.

It also gives the sellers a measure of power over the buyers if they want more of the resource.

If you feel you control a large portion of a market you could always tell imms about it in case they want to work it into the world.

You can't realistically claim entire swathes of mineral rights with just you and your buddies. Not when the vnpc denizens of that territory outnumber you 100-1 anyways. I could maybe buy putting a camp or a fort on top of one resource, but not the entire region.

January 28, 2023, 03:06:54 PM #3 Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 03:17:34 PM by Inks
Back in the old days (5-7) years ago, I have seen a single gemmed rukkian abuse harvesting heramide so badly that imms caused them to become extinct in the area they were harvesting from. When we killed this gemmed in Luirs, for wearing magick rings and being gicked up in public, they had over 200 heramide in their bags, was obscene. So let that be a cautionary tale. ;)

The merhants responsibly gave it to their npc superiors instead of letting Kurac/ Garrison have it. Wise.

Yeah the whole thing was goddamn stupid. They way crimcode was abused, the way everyone basically shrugged when the rangz were looted, the way staff just shrugged it off. Obviously hoarding that many poison items was beyond silly, but I wouldn't blame the player if they quit for good after that.

Quote from: Inks on January 28, 2023, 03:06:54 PM
Back in the old days (5-7) years ago, I have seen a single gemmed rukkian abuse harvesting heramide so badly that imms caused them to become extinct in the area they were harvesting from. When we killed this gemmed in Luirs, for wearing magick rings and being gicked up in public, they had over 200 heramide in their bags, was obscene. So let that be a cautionary tale. ;)

The merhants responsibly gave it to their npc superiors instead of letting Kurac/ Garrison have it. Wise.

https://wired.me/science/environment/deathstalker-scorpion-middle-east-dollars/#:~:text=The%20Deathstalker%20is%20one%20of,a%20gallon%E2%80%94can%20preserve%20life

Pssh? 200?

Veteran Newbie