Blindfolds and Restraints

Started by Pariah, December 19, 2022, 08:46:45 AM

Quote from: Riev on December 21, 2022, 10:03:57 PM
Quote from: Pariah on December 21, 2022, 09:48:07 PM
To limit abilities or things in the game for ONLY the fear of potential twinkage is a disservice.

I watch people play this game daily who spam craft, spam spar, spam all sorts of shit and don't seem to understand there are timers.  Doesn't mean I think we should put a limit on how many times you can type craft or kill.

There may be a host of reasons staff have decided not to do this.

My two cents... plus about a quarter or a half dollar? There is no reason not to RP this if you want to. If it "feels weird to RP it", I think we need to discuss what a roleplaying game might be, and the idea of a suspension of disbelief.

If you codedly want to be blind, in a MUD with a PvP combat code base... you need to accept that there are coded reasons why it may not be a good idea. And part of that is because it gives these "twinks" an easier time to omgwtfbbq you out of mid-air.

Sure, in a perfect world we could go:
ooc I'm blindfolding you, don't see anything till I unblindfold you.

But this game is very much a "Trust but VERIFY" endeavor.

I want to think that I can trust you lot oocly to not cheat if I kidnap you to my hidden camp in the desert.

But my want doesn't outweigh my skepticism you will.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

I have a blast playing armageddon, all the time, almost always regardless of the circumstance. Even when I die. Had a long lived one really bite it in a stupid way recently, best death of my playtime.

I share this because a lot of my uncommon enjoyment seems to stem from one thing that seems to be uncommon, given the GDB's opinions, but quite common in my own personal experience.

I give everyone the chance to fuck me.

I've been wanted in ways my character wouldn't be aware of, and let myself get caught. (I know oocly there are bored soldiers looking for an advantage. It serves me no RP favors to deny others an RP or code advantage over me, only coded favors, which aren't nearly as fun.)

I've been in a robber during a game crash, identity unknown by my assailant, and returned to the room where I was codedly getting weaker or damaged, but RP wise? I was getting richer.

And in the case of kidnapping people, /I/ am one of those who will give you a large leather bag, roleplay throwing it over your head, and expect the kidnapee to not see anything, because I trust the player /enough/. How much? Some will comply, some will meta their way out of it, I don't care. Those who get to see rooms etc, they lost the RP value of what was happening for coded benefit.

I don't live in a perfect world, nor do I truly expect one, but I /am/ a trusted player and someone who weaves great stories. Knowing that's what draws in a lot of our players, I can expect a blindfold to work if it's realistic, even polite questions or comments over OOC if something is confusing, even while torture is happening.

My chars are all throwaway chars now. I don't mourn them because I'm invested in the clans, other players, so many things that don't die.
Sometimes, I even explain my ooc expectations in a very matter of fact kind of way over ooc, merely to inform the player. This has helped.
You don't see that here.

A kidnapping can be RP out now as is.  Trouble is and not a major thing but.. You can kill your target when knocking them out.  Now yes someone can say OOC please sleep so you are blindfolded and we haul you to Day's inn.  Downside is on the way a Thingy attacks and sleeping (blindfolded person) is dead right off.  Plus very little emotes when sleeping other then groans and moans.

But I am pointing more towards blindfolds and being able to pack someone on a mount.  If a blindfold did fall off in combat like a bandage then there is little less of a twinkage going on.

Also in controlled areas a blindfold could be used in a training of blind fights.  This causing the clan/tribe to have to go out and craft or trade for blindfolds.

Packing people on mounts would bring classes like bounty hunter to life more.  A Wanted dead or alive poster could make some heavy rp
Just having fun.

Quote from: Wday on December 22, 2022, 07:29:46 AM
A Wanted dead or alive poster could make some heavy rp

Templar posts a wanted poster. Kills anyone who inquiries for being able to read the wanted poster.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 22, 2022, 03:24:36 PM
Quote from: Wday on December 22, 2022, 07:29:46 AM
A Wanted dead or alive poster could make some heavy rp

Templar posts a wanted poster. Kills anyone who inquiries for being able to read the wanted poster.

Could just be a drawing with a skull and crossbones.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Today at the Gaj as everyone looks over the tavern posts. a great slaughter arises.. I mean rumor boards in taverns
Just having fun.