Change to rope and grappling hooks.

Started by LidlessEye, December 04, 2022, 04:23:21 PM

December 04, 2022, 04:23:21 PM Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 04:28:37 PM by LidlessEye
Good day. I'll start with a little disclaimer. I have no coding background and very little knowledge of how code works so I apologize beforehand if my idea is incompatible with it.

On to the actual idea: what if the grappling hook and rope/analogues that aren't climbing accessories did not function as tools but similar to a tent where in they'd need to be secured and set up (with appropriate delays) and they'd make the climb very easy by modifying the flags in that room (s) . On the flip side, to prevent making it too easy, I also propose considerable stamina drain and time delays for those without climb using this. Moreover, if not guarded, someone could 'cut' the ropes or otherwise dismantle the system similar to how a tent can be destroyed, adding an element of risk.

The purpose of this being, RPTs that involve a lot of climbs become a little more inclusive.

Please provide feedback  :)
'One fire drives out one fire,
One nail, one nail.
Rights by rights falter,
Strengths by strengths do fail.'

-Tullus Aufidius, Coriolanus by William Shakespeare

I think this would both open many opportunities for non-wilderness roles to still be able to take part in wilderness RPTs with the necessary assistance of said wilderness rolls, not to mention malicious actors being able to go back behind the group and remove the grappling hooks to sabotage the return of the squishy non-wilderness roles and things of that nature.

I think it's a good idea.

December 05, 2022, 05:47:04 AM #2 Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 05:51:08 AM by Inks
I'm not super into it. With all the modern climbing gear in the world other than a ladder I can't get myself up a rope against a high cliff easily. Or at all.

I'd be into giving every non climb class apprentice climb though, and every non throw class apprentice throw. These are basic skills of intelligent creatures with opposable thumbs.

Quote from: Inks on December 05, 2022, 05:47:04 AM
I'm not super into it. With all the modern climbing gear in the world other than a ladder I can't get myself up a rope against a high cliff easily. Or at all.

I'd be into giving every non climb class apprentice climb though, and every non throw class apprentice throw. These are basic skills of intelligent creatures with opposable thumbs.

Brokkr recently noted that if you do NOT have the Climb Skill on your list, climbing gear will not help you.
Adding climb to PCs would make it so that climbing gear WOULD be useful.

Not saying for or against, just putting it out there.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I've not had too many occasions to need to use climbing.  But have trained it cause why not?

Is there some reason why everyone can't have climbing?  I mean, everyone has some skill to climb I would imagine.
"This is a game that has elves and magick, stop trying to make it realistic, you can't have them both in the same place."

"We have over 100 Unique Logins a week!" Checks who at 8pm EST, finds 20 other players but himself.  "Thanks Unique Logins!"

Quote from: Pariah on December 05, 2022, 09:37:52 AM
I've not had too many occasions to need to use climbing.  But have trained it cause why not?

Is there some reason why everyone can't have climbing?  I mean, everyone has some skill to climb I would imagine.

The climb skill is like, the ability to actually scale quite difficult surfaces.  Everyone can climb a ladder, there's not even a check, and some rooms require a climb check that even the unskilled could pass - those represent a regular level of climbing ability.  But classes that get the climb skill are better at it, they understand shifting your weight and finding nooks and crannies or just have the right mixture of innate sense of balance and/or training to climb much more difficult things.

Calling the skill climb and having/not having climb doesn't mean that your character cannot perform the action of 'climbing' it means that they - through training or innate talent - have or do not have the ability to get good at climbing difficult surfaces.

That said, I'm all for the idea - *however* I'd very much want a weight component somehow. A shitty half roted rope shouldn't hold a half-giant or even a mul, but an expensive one may hold the mul.  I don't think any ropes should give a half-giant additional climb, they're too prevalent and all-powerful codedly already.