Desert Elf Endurance Changes - Discussion

Started by mansa, July 28, 2022, 02:27:18 PM

Quote from: Armaddict on August 13, 2022, 03:12:03 PM
He didn't.  I did.  And I didn't ask for examples.  I asked you to examine it yourself.  You have freakishly weird luck, or a certain sort of decision making.  In 20 years of play, this is a scenario that has happened to me a handful of times.  Interestingly, the 'IF' clause of the same post was ignored, which was the examination of -why- those situations are more or less likely to happen, and IF they are happening often...

You sir, are either freakishly magnetic for bad circumstantial luck, or have found a way to normalize circumstance in your play.  Whatever the case, you can continue down the path of 'This is a bad change because I might die more' or 'I don't want to play that anymore if risks are higher', but I don't think that will have much impact on it.  I'd urge you to examine why for you (and others), this appears that it will have a giant effect, while for others it has meant almost nil as far as how survival capability is found.  There is one viewpoint in that examination in particular that would be ironic, but we'll see if it goes that way.

Riev asked on page 3.

I think it has something to do with playing PCs that start out in the wilderness, playing those 0-day PCs relatively recently, and playing in certain areas of the game world. I played in the first batch of Two Moon PCs when the clan first opened, and the turnover was nowhere near what I'm seeing with the current batch of delves. Most of them managed to stay alive for quite a while.

Most of the current batch apped in before the endurance change, so I think different danger levels in the wilderness are to blame. The north is more dangerous than the south now, and there have been code changes to ramp up the difficulty over the last few years. Most people that played in Morin's before Tuluk reopened would be aware of this. But you won't notice if you don't play there, and you might not notice if you only get out there once you've skilled up some. But starting out in that area as a new PC is just one "oh shit, that was risky af" experience after another.

I think I'm a pretty careful player. 7 deaths in five years is not a lot. I'm less worried about dying and more worried about having no one to play with because people die from being so damn fragile, say "fuck this, I'll go play somewhere else instead", or even just "whelp, I'm out of karma now, can't try again even if I want to" and the newfound interest in delf roles dies as quickly as it started.
A rusty brown kank explodes into little bits.

Someone says, out of character:
     "I had to fix something in this zone.. YOU WEREN'T HERE 2 minutes ago :)"

To be clear, since text conversations always make me come across a certain way.  I'm not trying to attack you or call you a liar.  I -am- trying to provide insight in my own experience about how things can be adjusted for people to deal with this change.  I'm one of those players who hates sparring, watching people cycle through all their weapons and combat skills while we mindlessly swing until someone loses a certain amount of hitpoints where I -never- push my hunts to that degree.  I hate watching people take on fights they don't need just because it's a creature that gives them a challenge.

I am someone who enjoys wilderness characters because every decision I make can potentially lead to death.  Whether that be to run instead of sneak, to dismount and stealth my way to something or ride right through dangerous territory and depend on speed, to hunt this creature where I need something it gives me despite it being in an area where this baddy is sometimes found.  And I lose characters.  And I've lost a lot of characters.  Wilderness characters are, inevitably, shorter lived, particularly when they aren't returning to cities.  But those deaths are almost always directly correlated to some decision I've made.  And every death is some sort of learning experience about things that I, the player, choose to do.

Ultimately though, part of the big deal may be that despite how careful I talk about being here, and how I treat hp, and how generally my death scenarios are not dependent on hitpoints...I also just view death as part of this game.  Permadeath doesn't mean permacharacter.  They're made to die, and it's my own choosing on what manners of death their story ends in.  Wilderness dooms you to the strong possibility of a sudden NPC death versus the plots and betrayals and deeper social stories of cities.  My posts here have been trying to reflect on how some hunters are versus how others are, and I've found if you spend -a lot of time- in the wilds, there's really no need to engage in many common behaviors.  Risk still happens all over the place.  Death is still around every corner.  I don't need to tempt it, I just hunt for food off of easy fights, try to stay safe, and so on.  There's no need to tempt it or risk it when the game itself wants you dead.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger