Suggestion: Merge "Brew" and "Floristry"

Started by mansa, April 05, 2022, 12:31:06 PM

April 21, 2022, 10:24:40 AM #25 Last Edit: April 21, 2022, 10:40:32 AM by Nefarious
In my mind perfume vs cleaning oil require entirely different processes, that I don't really think need to be combined.

In Zalanthas making perfume is probably a lot like making tea, you find the flowers, boil the ingredients in water, and sift the water into a vial. There isn't a fancy process because Zalanthans lack the technology to create perfume-making equipment and high-tech distillation apparatus.

Cleaning oil is different. You have a carrier oil, then you crush flowers/herbs to get an essential oil. These two oils are then heated to high temperatures so that they bind into one another. That's a lot more fancy than boiling petals in water, hence the brew-adjacent aspect.

I like that the skills are separated because when I think of Brew I don't think of flower loa or rose circlets or vine wreaths. When I think of Brew I think of the traditional definition of herbalism, which is the use of plants in healing, and the more chemical-based processes of distillation.

In zalanthas you mix a very pungent animal musk(to carry the scent and help it linger or something) with flowers and carry the oily mixture in wax-capped vials to make perfume

Which(to me) isn't that much different from using joybane oil and letting the mixture of oil and flowers cook and mix over heat. It is pretty different to making tablet-cures tho. Could separate the poisons-cures aspect of brew, keep it as "brew", and have every actual craft in its own field of herbalism in a merge.