Suggestion: Two higher level medicine skills

Started by Supified, January 15, 2022, 10:26:37 AM

Bandage is great and I love where it is, but it would be nice if there was more medical related skills to round the notion out a bit. 

Bandaging is a great skill,  but a catch all for medical skills.  I would personally suggest it is changed in a few ways.

• Remove the ability to remove poison with bandage
  • Greatly reduce the risk of bandage failure.  Lower or eliminate critical failures, allow bandaging of lighter injuries and make the risk not potentially deadly to those being bandaged.

I would then suggest the remove poison abilities be moved to a new skill that focuses exclusively on removing of alignments from individuals, properly with different material requirements. 

Finally I would add another new skill called suturing, an advanced medical skill that confers similar benefits to bandaging, but with immediate benefits as well.  Think of it as something like a lite version of the heal spell.

All of this could tie nicely into a subguild (or even a primary?) that focuses on medicine.  There could even be a skill for helping with hydration or hunger.

I've always thought it's a pity so much of the game's classes are based around conflict.  The subguilds have really helped to expand on changing that, but medicine, outside of brewing and bandage has always been lacking unless you use magick.  I just think it would be nice if the game expanded on it.

There are a lot of relatively easy-to-acquire bandages that cure poisons on successful application. It would be nice if a bandage that also cures poisons was a little more expensive, or rare, or exotic.

That said... for a simple plant and 10 coins worth of fabric, you can make a pristine bandage. I don't know if the quality has a lot of effect, but why would you make or have any other kind of bandage? We have a dozen different bandages and unless some have 'super cool unique effects' .... why?
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

I mastercrafted a bandage once that contained both items that the 'pristine' 2 item bandage has, but contained 5 total items. I mentioned it should probably be a rather high quality craft.
It's a lower quality than the pristine bandage :)))

It also doesn't remove poison IIRC, which is also lame.

Life is pain and the staff hate me.