Steel Talon Role Call: Non Leader Megathread

Started by Jihelu, November 14, 2021, 02:05:21 PM

Maybe a better filter than karma (per se) would be: "has successfully played X months in this clan after promotion." Such that your first experience in the clan is always organic.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

Quote from: Halaster on November 15, 2021, 09:17:47 AM
Quote from: The Gruffalo on November 15, 2021, 09:09:41 AM
There absolutely needs to be some kind of scrutiny for AoD/Legion before they are given full rank and privileges. It's a role that has a lot of coded responsibility. That is a major reason why the recruit phase is so important, or at least being screened by staff via a role application. Being able to simply app in is a bad, bad idea, because the havoc I've seen even 2-karma players wreak is nothing compared to an irresponsible player with the full power of the crime code behind them. That isn't even getting into the point I made earlier, regarding fit and overall behavior in the unit.

As the southern admin, I 100% agree with this thought.  Some clans would be fine to app straight in as a private-equivalent rank, but not the AoD (or Tuluki Sun Legions).  The idea if app'ing in directly as a runner in the Byn is really cool, or a hunter in a GMH.  But I assume the discussion is about an automated way to do it, which is not something we'd want for militias.  Thus the rolecall Usiku has posted (that you should totally read the whole thing and don't be like me and stop after the first half of the first sentence and think it's for a sergeant).

Duh- the crime-code thing. So forgotten about that.
Fredd-
i love being a nobles health points

Quote from: The Gruffalo on November 14, 2021, 03:02:25 PM
Quote from: Tranquil on November 14, 2021, 02:14:30 PM
Non-leader rolecalls should be far more common, so this is great.

Being able to role-app into clans at a private equivalent rank even without a role-call should be also allowed.

I don't disagree, but part of the whole recruitment period is also making sure of "fit" in the unit. If you app in straight as a private but act in ways that as a recruit would have gotten you booted out on your ass, then that's a problem. It's a problem I've anticipated, discussed with staff, and hopefully addressed in a way that means continuing the story rather than having to execute people outright, but it is still something worth considering. Leaders usually have enough on their plate without Joe Schmoe transfer from Unit 23 splashing in to cause them an exponential amount of drama.

Having it be a role call allows for at least some screening to ensure that their concept fits with the current unit.

I mean, I'm pretty sure people should not be straight up be executing PCs that roll in outright for 'not fitting in'. Especially as they're coming from another unit (the Silt Blades)- I can't imagine that would be tolerated - ICly or OOCly.

"Everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."

"Do not become addicted to water, it will take hold of you and you will resent its absence."

Quote from: Knight of Knives on November 16, 2021, 12:55:42 AM
I mean, I'm pretty sure people should not be straight up be executing PCs that roll in outright for 'not fitting in'. Especially as they're coming from another unit (the Silt Blades)- I can't imagine that would be tolerated - ICly or OOCly.

Not to put words in Gruffalo's mouth, but I interpreted "not fitting in" to mean PC concepts that shouldn't fly in any unit, PC or VNPC. At the comically extreme end of IC behavior, that means, like, "Private I-Bow-To-No-Man." At the extreme end of OOC behavior, that means typing "kill man" in the Gaj when someone mouths off to you. (Something I've seen happen once...it was like 2010.)

To wit, stuff that would always, always cause you to be booted out on your ass as a recruit.

I agree that a believable Private Jackass transferring in from a VNPC unit should be perfectly permissible and result in only normal amounts of Murder/Corruption/Betrayal.
<Maso> I thought you were like...a real sweet lady.

November 16, 2021, 03:14:22 AM #29 Last Edit: November 16, 2021, 03:49:03 AM by Usiku
What Brytta said, yes. Abusive behavior, IC or OOC, that would have resulted in them being booted as a recruit. If they're a corrupt jackass, that's fine, as long as they don't push it so far that it becomes irrational to not punish them-- but even so, as mentioned, I've worked with staff to come up with alternative punishments, demotions, and discharges. It would be a case by case basis, heavily dependent on unit composition.

[This post has been edited. Pretty please don't discuss recent IG events on the GDB - Usiku]
Though this world is made of fearsome beasts that bark and bite
We were born to put these creatures through one hell of a fight

Quote from: Halaster on November 15, 2021, 09:17:47 AM
The idea if app'ing in directly as [...] a hunter in a GMH.
Are GMH actually interested in hiring fresh characters? Maybe that was staff's intent and then they all get to become big baddies sparring together but I worry it will suffer from "do a year as a runner first" syndrome where they only want people above a certain power level.