The crisis new players are facing

Started by Iiyola, October 30, 2021, 01:41:01 PM

October 30, 2021, 04:40:06 PM #25 Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 04:44:25 PM by X-D
Thats funny, I cannot find anywhere in the public docs or byn docs that say it is a newbie clan, In fact, there was places in the byn docs and staff have stated before that it is not a newbie clan.

Where do you find that Malken?

Is it a good clan to learn the ropes if you are a serious newbie...It can be. But that does not make it a newbie clan. It is nothing like smurf village.

As to dumping auto recruit PCs...you honestly think that will help keep new players?

QuoteAre you telling me that dwarves are now karma-gated? If not I have no idea how any of this prevents people from rolling dwarves for murder.

Oh my...that looks like purposeful obtuseness. No and no it does not. But it DOES stop somebody from dropping directly into a clan compound where Pcs do expect a certain amount of safety (I know it is not much but Hey, better then the Gaj) And just doing as they please...Oooh, heavily wounded sleeping PC...etwo club....

Dead PC, dead dwarf, Player makes new account through VPN, rinse, repeat. It has happened before with PCs recruited IG, but at least then a PC sarge had to do some sort of interview. And can stop it from happening ten times in a row. While auto-clan does not. Besides, Getting clanned that first time IS part of the game.

Patuk, Leader turnover is a thing. But that is just as hard to address.

If it was me...I would not have role calls, I would be perfectly happy with a clan being empty till somebody app'd the leader role. Or was promoted to it IG Something that actually used to happen now and again.

QuoteI would rather see a dumb idiot do dumb idiot things some more if it means our new players don't literally starve for being unable to join a damn clan. It's a tradeoff I'd take every time, every single time, for sure.

So, you are saying you are fine with many PCs doing OOC things all the time hurting everybodies play/immersion just to have more people? Seems mildly selfish to me.

I am about done with this thread, But I will summarize my stance.

Adding more on the home page pointing at resources including discord and naming the ask the staff section of the GDB along with instructions for the request tool. AND adding a newbie question section to the request tool (if it does not already exist). Also, In game the starting area should have echos for the first couple PCs on the account naming those and helpers. AND even an in game notification to helpers.

The first page of the home page, yes, quick description of what the game is...BUT, EVERYTHING else should be spelling out the resources.

Game stats and RSS need not be on the front page, that space could be used for new player resources.

And one last thing, All of you posting here so worried about the newbies...How many of you are helpers?
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

I was helping my friend. But that wasn't sufficient either because I could not help him getting into a clan or finding a leader.

That's where the issue lies.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

October 30, 2021, 05:13:50 PM #27 Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 05:15:39 PM by X-D
Oh, I did not mean that Iiyola. I am sure you have been doing your best.

It was meant for others, because the BEST way to keep people is for a real person, be that IG or out to help them.

I have helped MANY players over the years, Mostly in game too...Almost all of them played for more then five years after and several of them are still around some pushing the twenty year mark. Some others might be as well, but many players I never knew or talked to outside the game.

I wonder though, In your friends case...Is this even an active clan...Or clans, if you tried more then one?

Did an actual PC leader exist at the time? Staff generally will not recruit to even an active clan if there is no current leader...and for good reason I say.

Just wondering.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

One of the reasons leaders are hard to find is because no one seems to want to play them.  The last Byn sergeant rolecall got  1 applicant.  In the current Kadius/Kurac role Kurac got a couple but we got 0 Kadius.

We sure could use help from the experienced players to play leaders.  Not to put this on the playerbase, but that would certainly go a long way.   I get that they're often annoying to play, I don't particularly care for it myself.

So what we need to address is why is it no one wants to play them?  I think we should address that, and then there'll be leaders available.
"I agree with Halaster"  -- Riev

Excellent point Halaster.

As for my suggestion of the possibility to have a new PC automatically enroll into the Byn if they so choose...

you could make a starter place where the NPC's guide the new player through some stages. In example:

* New player is in the barracks. An NPC echoes: These are the barracks, get yourself an aba and patch. Here, you can REST or SLEEP.
* New player is in the Mess Hall: The cook says: This is the Mess hall, you can ASK COOK HELP for food. The TUN is where you can FILL your SKIN
* New player is in the training area: This is a sparring ring. You can spar with other PC's but also this Dummy. Be sure to  switch on your MERCY ON.

Have a rumor board set up in the barracks with all current PC's and leaders. And make an announcement that, if the player needs help, they can WISH ALL.

ETC ETC

October 30, 2021, 05:27:14 PM #30 Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 05:29:21 PM by X-D
I cannot speak for others. But I will give my take on playing a leader for me.

Firstly, I do not app into leader roles...I might if I was asked, but I will never ask to play one. I have always hated it especially when I am playing a clan that has people who could be promoted to the spot. Organic is the way to go when possible...Yes, I know, not templars or nobles etc. But even merchant houses should be changed I think...Into corporations not families.

Now, when I do get a PC who has managed to move into leadership. I enjoy it...But like playing a HG it does wear on one. I tend to hold the role a good bit of time...usually at least 6 months and a couple 18 months. But when I get out of one I will avoid it for 1-2 years at least. Same as I do Half-giants.

Playing a leader in any clan tends to be a lot of work...and yes the role can be fun...and you help other people have fun and all that, which is incentive to play one I guess...now and again. But perhaps there could be something to help sweeten the deal a bit...I have no idea what. Because anything I can think of sounds more like bribery. Like Gaining a karma point for playing active leader for at least 6 months...but it going away once used.

Anyway, No way I could play 2 6 month leaders back to back.

(edit) Which is another reason I like organic, you are assured at least some time NOT as a leader. ;)
Lizzie:

October 30, 2021, 05:32:09 PM #31 Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 05:33:43 PM by Krath
My gripe with Leadership roles are the reports, not that I am a great leader pc player or anything, but that is the reason I will not do it again. The amount of work that goes INTO writing the reports is a bit...The issue is the game world moves much faster than staff typically responds so you are stuck with two options: 1. Move on with your plans without staff sanction and repercussions because staff don't have time ooc to respond quickly or 2. Wait and hope your time to execute your plan doesn't pass because ooc or IC changes.

I don't believe there is really a need for Kadius PCs considering our downturn of players.

I think there is more of a need for Salarr than any of the others. Kurac not really since the camo gear nerf and spice rotting code.

How it usually goes:
Staff: Send in reports every two weeks
Leader pc: Sends in 2 reports before the 1st is answered.

That is all.

PS> Apping leaders, except nobles, I am not a fan of even though I have done it in the past. They are no where near capable enough skill wise..Yes code does matter.
Quote from: roughneck on October 13, 2018, 10:06:26 AM
Armageddon is best when it's actually harsh and brutal, not when we're only pretending that it is.

Quote from: Iiyola on October 30, 2021, 02:00:12 PM
Its not his first PC, some have died before but he started playing about a month ago.

Still, even after having made a variety of PC's, new players have hardly learned how to sustain themselves. Hell, even I wouldn't be able to survive if I did not join a Clan in the nick of time.

Point is: There is no PC leadership available right now. Be it Byn, Kadius, Salarr (sparsely available), Militia.

But Iiyola, why won't you friend go to Tuluk?

No, he doesn't have to be forced to go to Tuluk and needing to learn a completely new culture while he just got settled in in Southern culture. He JUST got to learn how to find his way around Allanak, Luir's. He shouldn't have to be forced to relearn the mapping of a completely new city and its do's and don'ts.

Staff needs to step up and make NPC Leaders available for PC's to join a clan.

Seems to be the main post, save the back and forth on recruitment NPC debate.

1)
QuoteThere is no PC leadership available right now. Be it Byn, Kadius, Salarr (sparsely available), Militia.

A) Correct. There are active role-calls to fill those roles. That would suggest there are no leaders available and thus...? You won't reach a leader via traditional IC means. Further, if there already is a leader in a clan that you can't reach after X amount of reasonable time - let's say 3-4 RL days since people get busy IRL, you also won't have much leader contact, as they are either 1) Wrong time-zone of your play times, or 2) Awol/RL slammed. Getting accepted doesn't solve a lack of interaction in most clans/tribes. So, the question is, why is there an attempt to join something specifically self-sabotaging to your character for story/RP? Food and water? There are very active clans to solve that. There are methods of obtaining it without a clan. - If it's absolutely vital you be in "Salarr" within a day or two because of your background, wish up or request?

2)
QuoteStaff needs to step up and make NPC Leaders available for PC's to join a clan.

A) We have and do as it comes to our attention and is warranted.
B) We respect players in leadership-positions time and don't immediately irish-jig dance all over their toes for running their clan/recruitment because they happened to have an RL engagement take place for a few days or operate on a different time zone than you do (Generic you). One wonders if  these players tend to churn because this clearly isn't entertained from others?
C) And I'll point out the statement is just highly insulting and demotivating. STs on up to Producers volunteering a part-time job a week to create items, run plots, answer requests, animate, and so on "Need to step up" because they may have been sleeping or working, or already assisting another player at the time this was needed and / or the various methods that help IS offered are ignored or 'not good enough'. Wonder why staff churn happens, too.

So, I respect your friend and their effort. I want them to have fun. In order to facilitate that, they can - as laid out elsewhere.

- Wish up and ask for an animation. They will either get one, be told a good time to catch the leader, or be asked to wait a short period of time to allow a chance for that PC to PC interaction to take place.
- Ask for help in discord
- Submit a request for dialogue with staff on how to tackle their current issue.
- Make a friend in-game that can help them get food/water, learn of an appropriate clan to join with, etc.
- Get spotted by staff and be guided should we catch it.

Your friend, the leader and staff's time all just became respected in the same go.

QuoteAnd please, by God, discuss leader turnover with people who die/store as well as yourselves, staff.

Just touched on a nice big reason above.

QuoteAlso, there are dozen of staff and rarely more than 30 players online. How is it that nobody on staff watches what new players go through and try to adjust their experience? How is it that it gets to the point that a new player would starve to death when it takes hours for it to happen? Why do they not intervene through NPCs or other means? Staff has ways to get prompts when someone is starving or in a shitty situation. Why are they letting new players fall through the crack like this?

I really appreciate the general staff are garbage drum you focus on for most posts, Malken.

You're actively staffing (or even playing) the game for your current intel? You're actively on port to see how many staff are on for those 30* players, right? And none of us try to watch, in our log-in times, and actively send/animate for them, either? I've yet to see a new player starve to death. Why do you assume we are, or are "actively" trying to, with such a statement?

As stated above already, if we could ALL respect one anthers time, I'd bet that would solve a good chunk of leadership churn, new player churn and, staff churn.
Nessalin: At night, I stand there and watch you sleep.  With a hammer in one hand and a candy cane in the other.  Judging.

What if a few clans were designated starter clans, and in the documentation, sergeants or parallel level leaders for those clans were assigned a specific contact keyword that also echoed to staff.

Assuming the Byn was on the list, a new player could "contact bynsarge" and get routed to a byn sergeant online, or, be routed to a staff member if no pc sergeants are online.  If the staff member was busy they could always arrange a better time for the chat in ooc sends.
Its the end of the world as we know it, and I feel fiiiiiine.

Quote from: Shabago on October 30, 2021, 05:34:10 PM
QuoteAnd please, by God, discuss leader turnover with people who die/store as well as yourselves, staff.

No, that isn't a reason. One person applying per role would be fine if they stuck around. They don't. Something is broken.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

I tell you another thing that really helps...If you are playing a leader...and are the only one...give that recruiter job to your second in command (run past staff first) But I have found that to help a LOT...Oh sure, I might boot that recruit back out as the actual leader (only happened once) But did smooth things a ton.
Lizzie:

So im going to add my own two cents to this post as I was the friend mentioned.

Ill start by saying I really have been enjoying the game, the lore, the roleplay, and details of all the different things you can do/say. This has been one of the best roleplay experiences I have ever had thanks to everything just being coded into the game itself. I love it and have been addicted since I started (again).

Their is a MASSIVE learning curve coming into this game, not only as a new player to Armageddon, but also new to MUD games in general. And I cannot imagine someone coming into this game without knowing someone first who could offer some guidance, which luckily I had. But I dont like to ask for In Game help, I prefer to keep things as organic as possible. And when I simply couldnt reach people I just assumed I would eventually. Or I would reach them, set something up, and then I'd never hear from them again because they stored or maybe got busy(?). I dont know for sure, and thats fine, people have lives and I totally get that.

I thought I was doing everything right, I made some contacts in Allanak, I paid some people to help my character get better at Hunting/Foraging/Training and even started some really cool story between myself and another influential player, but In order to keep myself a float I had to be Hunting every day, every minute, in order to get food and Water. I wasnt always successful in my hunts, grebbing wasnt amazing either. When I got food I often burned things and eating burned food I believe was coded to make you thirstier quicker(?) Im not sure about that for sure but it seemed like it. Water is expensive and when you have no income it can easily get out of hand, specially when I was drinking a waterskin a day being out int he sun. And eventually this GRIND became tedius and tiring, I came here to Roleplay but it felt I had to be grinding every day to stay alive to I could find someone to join a clan. If I took a break from hunting/grebbing I felt it left my three steps behind and it was HARD getting my levels back to normal, help me god if something happened to me in that time, like being attacked by a tarantual while hunting Chalton (Next to Allanak, this happened), only reason I survived that was because I managed to get to the gate with 1 stamina left and the guards killed it.

Im not saying I want the game to be easier. But I felt like I did everything in my power and knowledge to try and stay alive, without the intervention of staff, and as a new player I probably had the advantage of knowing a current player very closely, which not everyone has. And I still failed. My last option was to join the Byn, and I tried, I even found a runner and asked them to have the sergeant contact me if they see them. I tried making other contacts with another group and they refused me because I was unskilled, I told them I'd keep practicing and get back to them. If I eventually decided i'd stay in town and just wait it out, but I grew hungry or thirsty and was forced to go out and hunt again. I had some coin left but I couldnt waste anymore or I'd not be able to afford the Byn entrance fee. I could have spent it but eventually i'd get back into the same situation I was in now. Dying in the city, calling for help and trying to reach all my contacts with non online.

I reached out to staff eventually, but I didnt want them to "save" me. I had just hoped to explain to them my frustration, and maybe something could be done to make it easier for new players like myself. Not a cheat card, but at the very least we would have a "chance" to get into the Byn or another clan (Previous character I tried to join another clan and I ran into a similar situation. Managed to contact someone but life happened and I never heard from them again. Eventually I used up all my coin trying to stay afloat in the city and I eventually had to make a new character, saving the details between that and my death.) anything to give us a fighting chance anyhow... Im not really good at following outside sources, I generally work with information thats in front of my face. If someone says I should join the Byn, ill probably make that my goat, if someone says Join Salarr, thats the direction ill take. If a clan is short handed I may not know that. I invest time into getting into /that/ clan and I kinda tunnel vision on doing it. Last I checked their were Byn Leaders and the previous clan I tried to join HAD a leader who I was in touch with and paid for arrangements to go down and meet with them to join. But they, as I said before, lost touch with me for what ever reason.

My first character had a great experience, but I managed to join the Byn fairly early in his creation. This was before Tuluk was opened and it seemed their were more activity in Allanak? Maybe it was the Byn in general. But Im sure its credited to the fact he managed to get into a clan early. Every other character after that struggled HARD every day. And I did not enjoy it, I made attempts at my two other longest living characters to join and ran into the same issue with both. Bad times? Or lack of leadership in the clans I wanted to join/had been referred too join and established some sort of connection with that eventually ran into a dead end.

I just wanna say im not blaming players, as someone who has been roleplaying for over 20 years now, I get it. Life happens. Im just giving my experience as a new player.

Im not sure what the best solution is, but unless you have some sort of guide, your either messaging the staff a lot. Or you're failing a lot and maybe becoming demotivated and eventually wanting to try something else.
Anything can be improved with the addition of bacon.

Quote from: Patuk on October 30, 2021, 05:45:51 PM

No, that isn't a reason. One person applying per role would be fine if they stuck around. They don't. Something is broken.

Really? Playing a leader and having the player base at large ICly stand on their necks and get all annoyed at them because they weren't available to run a showing of blue linens, attend a tea-party in the Estate, produce a new walking stick MC, get yelled at for not having materials stocked for their underlings and berated by 3 of the 4 people in their head by Way, as they're "Not answering them in a timely manner" while attempting 5 minutes of personal RP growth for their PC inside 4 RL hours logged in - disregard of respecting their time has no impact on churn rates?
Nessalin: At night, I stand there and watch you sleep.  With a hammer in one hand and a candy cane in the other.  Judging.

October 30, 2021, 05:59:20 PM #38 Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 06:03:37 PM by Baconbits
Oh. also It wasnt ALWAYS bad. But the grind was crappy :( I did do a lot of fun roleplay and messed around but I was mostly spending my time trying to stay alive.
Anything can be improved with the addition of bacon.

Quote from: Shabago on October 30, 2021, 05:55:25 PM
Quote from: Patuk on October 30, 2021, 05:45:51 PM

Really? Playing a leader and having the player base at large ICly stand on their necks and get all annoyed at them because they weren't available to run a showing of blue linens, attend a tea-party in the Estate, produce a new walking stick MC, get yelled at for not having materials stocked for their underlings and berated by 3 of the 4 people in their head by Way, as they're "Not answering them in a timely manner" while attempting 5 minutes of personal RP growth for their PC inside 4 RL hours logged in - disregard of respecting their time has no impact on churn rates?

I took 'above' to mean the post about the amount of applicants for the Kuraci and Kadian role calls - which I applied for. Pick me and prove me wrong. Fortunately, we won't have to guess at anything, because people weighing in with their personal reasons should trickle into the thread soon enough.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

A) Correct. There are active role-calls to fill those roles. That would suggest there are no leaders available and thus...? You won't reach a leader via traditional IC means. Further, if there already is a leader in a clan that you can't reach after X amount of reasonable time - let's say 3-4 RL days since people get busy IRL, you also won't have much leader contact, as they are either 1) Wrong time-zone of your play times, or 2) Awol/RL slammed.
And that's understandable, but creates a situation that is not helping the newer players getting into the game.
Getting accepted doesn't solve a lack of interaction in most clans/tribes. So, the question is, why is there an attempt to join something specifically self-sabotaging to your character for story/RP? Food and water?
This PC in question did everything he could to stay alive. As a player not having to worry about the basics of your new PC, in example dying of thirst of hunger, takes a lot of stress off the player who has invested into creating a PC with background, goals, etc.

There are very active clans to solve that. There are methods of obtaining it without a clan. - If it's absolutely vital you be in "Salarr" within a day or two because of your background, wish up or request?
The point is that reaching out through the request tool its no longer organically obtained, wishing up doesn't always work, staff has their private lives too, it breaks the immersion of the roleplay and new players aren't very aware that this is an option. There should be put more emphasis to the possibility of this avenue.

QuoteStaff needs to step up and make NPC Leaders available for PC's to join a clan.

A) We have and do as it comes to our attention and is warranted. -I'm not saying staff isn't doing anything. But the way it goes currently, it just doesn't work as well as we hope it does.-
B) We respect players in leadership-positions time and don't immediately irish-jig dance all over their toes for running their clan/recruitment because they happened to have an RL engagement take place for a few days or operate on a different time zone than you do (Generic you). One wonders if  these players tend to churn because this clearly isn't entertained from others? -again, understandable, but perhaps something else needs to be added to fill the void
C) And I'll point out the statement is just highly insulting and demotivating. STs on up to Producers volunteering a part-time job a week to create items, run plots, answer requests, animate, and so on "Need to step up" because they may have been sleeping or working, or already assisting another player at the time this was needed and / or the various methods that help IS offered are ignored or 'not good enough'. Wonder why staff churn happens, too.

I did not mean it to come across as insulting and I apologize. I tried to state it with encouragement, but unfortunately that doesn't always work in write.
Again, I understand this is an issue that is known with staff. I as a player would love to contribute and having seen in person how hard it is for some new players to keep their PC's alive, I'd like to open up the discussion with the hopes of finding a resolve. I've offered a few ideas which I hope will be taken into consideration.
This post was not meant as an attack to staff, but moreso to open up to the issue that we're currently facing.

I really appreciate the general staff are garbage drum you focus on for most posts, Malken.

I wrote a helpful answer with some suggestions but then I just saw that so fuck it. There's nothing else to be said by either me or the rest of the players when you get into aggressive defensive mode. You might as well lock the thread now.

"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

I've found that it's oftentimes a hard thing to keep interest in a role, especially one where your gameplay is mostly stemming from making your minions do things (nobles especially have this problem, due to the nature of not wanting to get your posh highborn hands dirty), if there is a lack of interaction. This can be due to playtimes, but I've found that sometimes 10+ hours a day are needed to really be able to reach everyone single handedly.
It then comes down to either having a few very good minions to reach the people you need to (bless your hearts, those who are the good ones), or some help staff-side to keep things running. (This can just go like "Hey, is amos even still around?" so I don't spend hours contact spamming amos only to find out they stored.)

I'll admit that having a large turnover in leadership, both on the other end of the clans (hey, merchant amos I've been cultivating has retired, on, merchant malik is completely different, now the plan starts from ground 0), and in staffside changes (Having certain long term plans change because staff, albeit understandably, doesn't always have the whole history, or just doesn't agree with the last staffer to staff the clan, meaning plans have to be delayed and slowed down more), and my own availability, which can go from 10+ hours a day to 10 minutes a week, make it disheartening to restart projects multiple times, and to sometimes spend way more time on something simply because of scheduling.

As for leader retainment: I've found that having an encouraging staffmember (my inner breed needs to be told I'm doing an okay job sometimes :P) , fun to play with clan members, or having an exciting rival, often are factors in keeping me interested in the game. If I lack one or most of these, things stagnate. And not logging on causes plots to peter out, which only increases the problem. 

Oh, as a final note for retaining leaders: Without fail, every single time I receive a kudos about a character current or past, this has either motivated me to play, or drawn me out of a hiatus. So kudos your fellow players, it makes all the difference  8)
Try to be the gem in each other's shit.

The other avenue besides leadership voids that we can address is:

How can we support a newbie to keep their PC alive long enough to actually get involved with the going ons in game?

You could, in example: boost forage, skinning and cooking skills.

When approving the PC through email, offer a list of current leaders in said email that they can connect with, should they want to join such a clan.

October 30, 2021, 06:23:14 PM #44 Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 01:03:51 PM by lairos
Moved to new thread.
A staff member sends:
     "The mind you have reached is currently unavailable.  Please try again later."

Quote from: Halaster on October 30, 2021, 06:14:17 PM
What might be useful is to break down what the issues are on a per clan leadership role.  Meaning, the Byn has different issues than Kadius who has different than city elf tribes, and so on.

I can't speak to a lot of it as I don't play leaders because I'm on staff.  So what are the issues making people not want to play leadership roles in the following:

1. Byn
2. GMH's (or are they each different enough from one another)
3. City elves
4. Desert elves
5. Militia roles (both Allanak and Tuluk)
6. Noble Houses
7. Other
Maybe make this a new thread? :)

Baconbits makes me sorta wish I had been playing in nak.

Sounds to me like just the type PC mine have helped umpteen times in the past.

Also Baconbits...Now, I do not know your PC...personality and all that. But IRL and in game, Panhandling is a tried and true method to keep one going till things break for them. Not to mention, Allanak has some real easy automated ways to make pretty good money. At least one is pretty safe, just smelly.

I once had a PC raided down to his boots...made it to nak with like 7 hp chased by gith. A noble threw some pants at him (later found that was staff) And begged for a pack, a cloak, weapon and waterskin. Foraged back to enough coin to join the byn.

Also, somebody do make a thread for the leadership part, I just now read the rest of Halasters question...the list part.
Lizzie:

Quote from: Iiyola on October 30, 2021, 06:30:23 PM
What might be useful is to break down what the issues are on a per clan leadership role.  Meaning, the Byn has different issues than Kadius who has different than city elf tribes, and so on.

I can't speak to a lot of it as I don't play leaders because I'm on staff.  So what are the issues making people not want to play leadership roles in the following:

1. Byn
3. City elves
4. Desert elves
6. Noble Houses
7. Other
Maybe make this a new thread? :)

Done.

Ya'll got this rolling before I even knew it existed.

On the absence of leaders, I know that in the HRPT wiped a few off the board, and some of those were particularly long lived. I don't know about others, but for awhile I didn't even read leadership posts after. I just wanted less and zalanthas. I imagine a good number of the other leaders wiped felt the same or worse.

1. Byn
3. City elves
4. Desert elves
6. Noble Houses
7. Other

I'd like to start by saying that I have been enjoying the game lately, and for awhile now. If I had to stab at this list:

1. I've just done it so many times i'm not really interested in doing it again

2. It seems like great ideas for this collective group keep getting buried by... I don't know. They have seem far more railroaded and restricted. There's been some changes to recruiting and ability, maybe that's changing. Ya'll took my expansion away. I want to feel like my character can also be a character, and have plot arcs within the job.

3. Seem fine but I hear people complain alot? Just not my style.

4. What is my purpose in life? Not really my style. The culture has been set up that we will ever only minimally interact and not break rules.

5. I love these. I think the plots have run well for years. I feel like staff really needed to put effort into purpose other than an annual dungeon crawl in the sewers. Things like simraider and such can be expanded on--but having an army unit (which I WANT TO HAVE) can be difficult when the only army is a bunch of pirate talking dwarves and muls. 9Fixed this recently)

6. Who tf isn't trying to play in noble houses? Take a bath, plebs. The only problem here is closing or restricting them.

7. Leaders can feel a lack of gratitude in different forms. My personal frustrations weren't exactly a structure or leader role thing, but communication.

(8.) Sometimes life is a real thing not just an excuse to not log in. Playing a leader is... who posted .... Lairos! 5 RL years!? I salute you sir. my sanity would be gone. I'd never go in back-to-back.

Ok i'm the asshole that typed this while a new thread was made. Whoops.