It sucks, I hate it. Why can't I play it?

Started by Anonymous, November 08, 2003, 11:53:23 AM

I just read a review of Arm or two on the TMS and I got a kick out of something I noticed.

Complainer says:  Arm sucks.  The staff sucks.  The players are twinks.  I got killed for doing something.  Nessalin is a meanie.

Oh, and I hate that it is down on Saturdays.
---
Doesn't that seem, well, odd?  I mean if Arm is this big steaming cesspool of suck, why be upset that its down on Saturdays?

I don't mean to poke old wounds, but it seems to me if you hated something that much, you wouldn't care whether or not it was up or down.  Sorta like how everquest crashes or patch downtimes don't seem to bother me in the least. ;)

This is the eternal question that comes up in most online games and online communities.  Why do people that claim certain things are so awful continue to participate rather than just move on?

Fertile ground for a psych study, I would think.

Folks habitually feel a need to vent. It is what keeps them from losing their minds. Some folks do it in a manner which causes them to look idiotic. Most of us do it in a manner that is typically considered as whining.

The person who wrote the afore mentioned review should be dragged outside and beaten brutally with something. He should, but then, I could care less. I complain at times, but I keep coming back. So will most folks who venture onto this game.
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Yah, the people I'm referring to are the ones who post mainly negative comments with nary a positive thing to say.

Quote from: "CRW"I just read a review of Arm or two on the TMS and I got a kick out of something I noticed.

Complainer says:  Arm sucks.  The staff sucks.  The players are twinks.  I got killed for doing something.  Nessalin is a meanie.

Oh, and I hate that it is down on Saturdays.

Well let's see: Arm sucks. Eh. That's a complaint, an opinion. They're like assholes, everyone has one and they all stink.

The staff sucks: Dunno, could be true. I'm not about to ask any of them though. It sounds like a personal thing to me.

The players are twinks: Some of them are. Check that.

I got killed for doing something: Dood - totally correct. Fact. Check that.

Nessalin is a meanie: See above. Check that, but very quietly or Nessalin will kill you real dead and real painful and real gross.

I hate that it is down on Saturdays: Me too!

So the only thing I actually disagree on is that Arm sucks. I don't know about another part, and the rest is true, at least partially, at most completely.

I'd say the review is perfectly legit, with the exception of the very first point. In fact, MY review, if written in that manner, would be:

Arm is AWESOME. The staff might suck, but they ain't tellin and I ain't askin.  Some players are twinks.  I got killed for doing something. Nessalin's a meanie. And I hate that it is down on Saturdays!

Who cares?
Carnage
"We pay for and maintain the GDB for players of ArmageddonMUD, seeing as
how you no longer play we would prefer it if you not post anymore.

Regards,
-the Shade of Nessalin"

I'M ONLY TAKING A BREAK NESSALIN, I SWEAR!

You, seeing as you took the time read all the posts of this thread and then respond .....
musashi: It's also been argued that jesus was a fictional storybook character.

Carnage, chill out man. I've got booze, girls, pills, all that you need my man. Let's go to the roadhouse, I'll drive. We'll have a real good time.
ight my fire.

It just struck me as funny.  Sort of like:

I hate that Michelle girl.  She's got a bad attitude, she smells funny, she's built like a curtain rod and that bitch won't go out with me Friday night!

Sometimes I'm amazed at what I read when people post in other forums about ArmageddonMud, its staff and their own woes.

There are far too many victims in this fucking world.  No one wants to believe that they are responsible for their own words and deeds, and it seems to me that most people want to believe that they're being persecuted by the hooded and cloaked, mysterious 'THEM'.

It's sad and pitiful.

I went from being a complete twink on this mud, to decent player, to staff member and back to (what I hope is) decent player again.

Along the way, I earned the ire of players and staff for shitty, unrealistic play, became associated with a completely infamous pc clan, began to realize that staff was not 'out to get me', and went on to contribute to many significant plots, some of which have changed the world of Zalanthas...in big and small ways.  As staff, I contributed to great things and some shitty things too.

Point is, I am responsible for my words and deeds, I know this, and I know that what I think and do as 'right' isn't always viewed as 'right' by others.  That's part of the beauty of diversity.

One thing I want to touch upon that I CONSTANTLY hear from the victims of the mud multi-verse is the 'Nessalin despises me and I never get a break' syndrome.
I publicly admit that Ness and I have had our differences, but in a great many ways, I admire and respect his opinions and abilities.  Quite frankly, Nessalin has been one of the most prolific contributors to the amazingly complex code which is the framework for the 'Matrix' of Zalanthas.  Is he opinionated when it comes to ArmageddonMud?  Fuck!  Aren't we all?
Even when I disagree with the opinions of those who 'make the rules', I understand that by the virtue of the immense amount of time, talent and effort they put into the mud to make it better for all, their 'opinions', although no better than my own, carry more weight.  Deservedly so.

It has been my experience that very few people are malicious by unwarranted, detached design.  If someone shows anger toward you, more likely than not, you have affected their behavior in some way, shape and form.  Fuck, I've had friends of mine ranting about how they were 'imm-fucked', as so many people put it.

Most of these attitudes are based on hardened hearts.  It seems to be a symptom of humanity to immediately assume the worst when things don't go our way.

My advice, for happiness in any realm of life, including escapism in Zalanthas is to take a step back from a situation where you're feelings are hurt and try to look at it from all sides.  Think about how you 'may' have contributed to the bad situation and make corrections.  If you can do this, you're far more likely to find your 'troubles' to be mild and temporary, and you'll find others more willing than not to meet you half-way.
-Naatok the Naughty Monkey

My state of mind an inferno. This mind, which cannot comprehend. A torment to my conscience,
my objectives lost in frozen shades. Engraved, the scars of time, yet never healed.  But still, the spark of hope does never rest.

I dunno what the big deal is about Nessalin. I mean okay, I've had my clashes with this or that IMM from time to time about various issues, but Ness has never done anything that I ended up feeling badly about. I've e-mailed him on different things, submitted stuff, asked for guidance, and in the few cases where Nessalin was involved not once did I feel like he was doing, writing, or acting in any way "harshly" toward me.

Granted he's not a lovey-dovey snugglepuss, but I think that's a good thing.

<shrug> I guess I just don't get what caused him to have such a nasty reputation. But then I've only been playing a year, so maybe it just isn't my turn yet.