The Allanak Problem

Started by Gentleboy, August 19, 2020, 03:53:28 AM

I want brawling everywhere but posh places, maybe. Obviously, two nobles shouldn't be going at other with fists.. ooh but what if they slapped each other with gloves.. no no. Better not.

At least give us a fighting pit we are allowed to duel to the death in....actually, these sorta exist IG but aren't used for this stuff or is it necessarily legal to kill in one.

Quote from: Void on October 23, 2021, 12:35:32 AM
At least give us a fighting pit we are allowed to duel to the death in....actually, these sorta exist IG but aren't used for this stuff or is it necessarily legal to kill in one.

+1000000 to this

this was the best thing the *cough* armageddon clone *cough* had
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/
message me if something there needs an update.

A player pit would be cool. "Let's take it to the pit."

Quote from: Lotion on October 23, 2021, 12:10:10 PM
meet me at the span

Only span duels I had were with Northern characters, cuz uh, that makes a little more sense than two Southerners riding past Luir's for a place to spar.

RL analogy: two texans deciding they need to go to the US-Canada border to fight. I thought Texas had everything [the fools sure like to brag] including places where people could brawl, but maybe not!
ARMAGEDDON SKILL PICKER THING: https://tristearmageddon.github.io/arma-guild-picker/

To be fair there are literally countless places you can go to have a consensual duel in and around Allanak already.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Not to mention there is a fighting pit in Allanak.
You try to climb, but slip.
You plummet to the ground below...

Alright fine, will drop it, but I loved the tacky fighting pit in the Armageddon clone. It was in the main tavern, and the tavern was usually lively as a result.

If that clone "borrowed" the code here and modified it, it is at least interesting to consider what they did better.

There are some bars in the uh, bad part of town where nobody will be -too- concerned if you and your rival fight to the death.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

I'll be honest, I truly do not see harm in having a fighting pit in the Fan. As long as there is an option for others outside the pit to not see the fighting echoes.

But then, didn't we already have a MMH based tavern that had that exact type of entertainment? I thought it was a great idea. Unfortunate I was in a wrong rp sphere.

If we incorporate my ideas every street is a fighting pit

Seems like the problem is cultural rather than structural. The structures for dueling/brawling DO exist but are rarely utilized for these purposes other than for mini RPTs.

Our efforts might be better placed at simply adopting a more "let's take it to the alley" culture than anything else, which would obviously need the Templarate willing to simply look the other way for these disputes. Shit, make a post on the rumor board advertising it, get someone to take bets, set it up to throw the fight (or not if you're serious), do whatever. Theoretically it's a much easier fix as well than coded changes.

The guards showing up within 4 seconds of me trying to murder a beggar in the street is not a cultural problem, it's a hard coded one.

Quote from: Shabago on October 17, 2021, 06:56:50 PM
Just pointing out for the sake of it, the sum total of all Templar kills for the year is LESS THAN a handful of single, Indy PCs by themselves that don't play anywhere in or around Allanak.

What about characters within Allanak/Rinthis?
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.

Quote from: Jihelu on October 24, 2021, 11:59:57 AM
The guards showing up within 4 seconds of me trying to murder a beggar in the street is not a cultural problem, it's a hard coded one.

As was pointed out, there isn't a shortage of places to have a duel with another PC. Murdering a beggar is a totally different topic.

Quote from: Void on October 25, 2021, 04:53:30 AM
Quote from: Jihelu on October 24, 2021, 11:59:57 AM

As was pointed out, there isn't a shortage of places to have a duel with another PC. Murdering a beggar is a totally different topic.
My topic and entire thread I brought up was violence and murder, not dueling.

Its called the Arena.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

Polite and civilized murder.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Iiyola on October 25, 2021, 05:01:02 PM
Its called the Arena.

Most players can't access the arena willy-nilly.

Allanak is full of random people fighting in alleys and shanking each other for a skin of water.

Do ya'll really have an issue when it comes to dueling just go outside it's like 5 rooms west?

All alleyways in allanak are counted as deserted if a soldier isn't in sight, just fyi

Yaroch has a fighting pit.

If you wanted to put together an illicit fight club and cut in on the Arena betting market, there are more places in and around Allanak than I can count that you could do it perfectly fine with no fear of crimcode.

There is, or was an entire warehouse transformer into a bar with fighting possible. Entirely PC ran.