Commoner's View of the Templarate and Militia

Started by FiveDisgruntledMonkeysWit, October 31, 2003, 08:13:32 PM

Old timer, what is fantastic about a world where folks can willingly knock themselves out through telepathy is that the other folks can also stop them from doing it.

*grin*
Wynning since October 25, 2008.

Quote from: Ami on November 23, 2010, 03:40:39 PM
>craft newbie into good player

You accidentally snap newbie into useless pieces.

Discord:The7DeadlyVenomz#3870

Old Timer,

I would respectfully disagree.  You can easily believe someone is 'better' then you and still hate them.  You could have -very- interesting inner struggles and roleplay trying to justify in your mind the idea of assassinating a noble when you have to 'justify' it against your belief that their blood makes them better.   The potential for inner conflict seems to me to be greater when you believe the nobility superior.  Just because you believe they are better then you doesn't mean you have to -like- them.

In fact, you could believe that Lord Stuffybottom has acted in a way that shames his birthright and it could grate at you as much or more then if he was just some guy pretending to be better then you.  It might offend your sense of honor and 'rightness' if Lord Stuffybottom has a couple of longneck catamites holed up in the Commoner Quarter.  Think of it as an opportunity to stretch your RP within a different belief system rather then a reason to quash and conform it.

Quote from: "Old Timer"The philosophy of wholly believing nobility above themselves suggests noble-assassinations could not exist.  So ya'll go ahead and play boring drones who sit nodding and grunting at taverns, meanwhile I'll be out in the fray, stirring trouble (realistic according to your views or not.)  :twisted:

Eh, nonsense. A goodly number of medieval clergy were offed by soldiers who firmly believed that the church was the path to their eternal salvation because they were ordered by their lords or kings to do so, and so they obediently went ahead with it. As for nobles having other nobles killed, the command from the noble who you serve overrides any respect you might have for the noble you're assassinating - your lord is the most important lord :).

Of course, that's not to imply that a commoner would never have cause to attempt to have a noble killed. The father who's had his daughter raped by young Lord Inbreed will undoubtedly find very human feelings rising above any culturally-imbued respect for his Lordship. But the default position for the vast majority of commoners who have not been rendered some gross wrong by a noble would be of respect and of viewing the nobility as superior.

Incidentally, this has been touched on a few times by the staff; one such post is:

http://www.zalanthas.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=4613&highlight=nobles

where Sanvean states that "The vast majority of Zalanthans think that nobles really are better than commoners and that's why they're nobles."

As long as you realise you're playing the exception with a commoner who secretly despises nobles, that's fine. Most commoners however really do regard nobles as better, and that's probably something you'll want to incorporate into some of your characters' RP if you're making an effort to really realise the culture of Zalanthas.

Quirk
I am God's advocate with the Devil; he, however, is the Spirit of Gravity. How could I be enemy to divine dancing?

Actually, I agree with both your points, Quirk and Ahseyw.

All I care is about is not hearing some nonsense that I am an unrealistic commoner when I seek to lash vengeance out upon a noble by snugly fitting my venomed blade between their ribs  :twisted:.

If I can do that according to the documentation you've laid out, I'll happily concede to the argument.  Which it sounds like I can.  Adieu!

The Price Experiment.  This experiment is well known in the sociology and psychology community points out exactly how people can indeed come to believe some people are better than others. During the 1970's a teacher wanted to teach her children the injustice of racism in America. One day she divided the class into groups according to eye color.  She told the class that all the blue-eyed children were above the other eye colors.  Therefore the teacher made sure the blue-eye children were treated better.  Anyone without blue eyes could not ask questions in class, had to stand in the back of the line, had to stand at their desks, etc.  HOWEVER, it was soon evident this experiment in trying to teach injustice backfired.  In a matter of WEEKS the subjects in the experiment had changed their entire belief system.  The blue-eyed children actually did think they were better than any others (including friends from kindergarten and other family members!)  The brown/green eyed children also changed.  They really did think they were less than the blue-eyed children.  Many of them had years of therapy to keep them from being suicidal.  

Just a bit of FYI
"The Highlord casts a shadow because he does not want to see skin!" -- Boog

<this space for rent>

I was always under the impression that after a week of that, the teacher reversed the students' "class" positions.

Pun intended.

Quote from: "creeper386"
Now personally, I don't like the opinion that all 'rinthers hate nobility and the militia and everything. I still think a good portion of 'rinthers are just southsiders that ran into hard times. Mostly due to money issues and didn't have any choice but to move into the 'rinth. Sure alot of them might... But most of them are just poor citizens that can't afford anything else.

Creeper

Ah, but when you see Templars arresting rinthers, having their soldiers kill your companions, it tends to instill hate. Even if not open and shown because of the concern for one's own neck.

I think most rinthers want to avoid  open or even secret confrontations with Templars, because they are even more apt to fear them because they live ina  crime filled area.
I tripped and Fale down my stairs. Drink milk and you'll grow Uaptal. I know this guy from the state of Tenneshi. This house will go up Borsail tomorrow. I gave my book to him Nenyuk it back again. I hired this guy golfing to Kadius around for a while.