Erasing the tracks...

Started by Koala, October 30, 2003, 04:19:23 PM

Is there a coded way to erase the tracks that you have just left on the ground?

If that does not exists, it might be a good addition to the game when you are trying to hide from something. Of course the one who is hiding the tracks have to be good at hunting. A success in erasing the tracks may give difficulty to the follower. That case will be benefical to the one who is hiding.

A failure on doing this may result in leaving deeper tracks, which can lead your character to death  8)
"A few warriors dare to challange me, if so one fewer."
---------------------------
"Train yourself to let go everything you fear to lose." Master Yoda
---------------------------
"A warrior does not let a friend face danger alone." Lt. Worf

This sounds neat.  Maybe it should be another way of moving, just like sneak or run or walk.  Something like "walking lightly" or something better...I'm not that creative.  Of course, you would have to suffer some kind of penalty like stamina or a slightly longer lag between rooms.
quote="mansa"]emote pees in your bum[/quote]

I don't see it being possible, personally, not unless it was a magickal ability.

Basically even if you tried to push the sand back together, I still think that it would be evident that someone was brushing their tracks over and in essence, you'd still have a trail of disturbed earth.

Maybe it would just remove the ability to determine the depth and width of the tracks.

If I remember right, people that are good at sneaking have a chance of not leaving tracks or their tracks are harder to find. Swear I saw a staff response of something like this  but don't remember where. Anyone know?

Creeper
21sters Unite!

One easy way to cover tracks on Arm is to do precisely what you would do to cover your tracks in RL....

Quote from: "Xygax"One easy way to cover tracks on Arm is to do precisely what you would do to cover your tracks in RL....

I'll have to give it a try and see if it works.

hold broom
sweep tracks
s
sweep tracks
s
sweep tracks
w
sweep tracks

At least, that's what I'd do if I was going to cover my tracks IRL. Or maybe..

get leaves
scatter leaves tracks
s
get leaves
scatter leaves tracks

if I was in a wooded area.

On the other hand, I didn't know there were "tracks" objects. And yeah, I've checked.

One way to really mess up tracks is just to make a lot of them.  If somone comes into a room and four tracks are leading in every direction, good luck figuring out which ones are decoys and which are real.  It might take a little extra time, but it is no problem confuse tracks.

not really. It says which one is the freshest batch

Quote from: "John"not really. It says which one is the freshest batch

No they don't unless the code has recently changed.  It can tell roughly how old the tracks are, but not exactly how old they are.  If you walk in and out a few times in a reasonable amount of time they will all be 'fresh' and when they get old, they will all be old.  Unless there is a large time delay, just like in real life, they will all look roughly just as old.

But they are actually listed in order, so although several sets of tracks may all say the same thing (except for different directions), there is one set that's "on top", just like in real life.
Quote from: tapas on December 04, 2017, 01:47:50 AM
I think we might need to change World Discussion to Armchair Zalanthan Anthropology.

In real life tracks are not so neatly stacked upon each other, nor does tracking involve following footprints across the landscape.  Snow and sand, maybe.  Mud, sure.  Scrubland, rocky badlands, salt flats, gray forest. . .in none of these areas would tracking be simply following the set of footprints on "top".  Well, not in real life.  

Also keep in mind the size of a single room.   Even in a 10x10 foot area, I can walk all over the place, in and out, without ever crossing my own tracks.