Special Applications

Started by Heade, September 09, 2018, 11:55:44 AM

So, over the years it seems like the things you could do with a special application have changed. I've done some searching and read through the most recent documentation, and I'm still not exactly sure of the scope of what might be done with special apps. I think it would be great if we could have a list of things that you could reasonably do with special apps.

Based on what I understand the rules to be, we could probably discuss here things that have been approved as a special app in the past, but that have been out of the game for more than a year. So, I'd love to hear from the community about what they have had success with getting approved via special application. I think I've only submitted one or two special apps in the couple decades I've been playing. What has been your experience?
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

One time I made a special app for a character with wings that were non-functional and tattered like that NPC in Tuluk, taking up the back slot. That was denied, and the only other spec apps I've had accepted were for things beyond my karma range. I've heard of someone who once got night vision and there was a Tuluk PC templar a while back who was androgenous and emotes targetting them returned 'it' and 'their/they'.
yousuck

I seem to recall a post somewhere saying mutations were no longer allowed via special app. That still accurate?
I used to have a funny signature, but I felt like no one took me seriously, so it's time to put on my serious face.

Quote from: Heade on September 09, 2018, 01:24:32 PM
I seem to recall a post somewhere saying mutations were no longer allowed via special app. That still accurate?
http://armageddon.org/help/view/Mutant%20Roles
If they're no longer allowed this helpfile is now inaccurate, I think they're still a thing? Mutants are less common than they used to be anyway, especially since Tuluk disappeared.
yousuck

The most commonly approved things for special applications are things like:
* a class or race you can't play because of karma
* skill bumps
* swapping one skill for another (you gain one skill and lose a skill of roughly equal usefulness)

You can ask for other stuff, and I wouldn't put any limit on it beyond saying that you can really only tweak "one" thing with a special application.  E.g. you can't get skill bumps and skill swaps and some crazy mutation.  I guess another rule would be that we don't write custom code for any PC's special app, so if you have some far-fetched idea for it and we don't already have a script for it, sorry.

Generally if you ask for something that is hugely useful, like infravision, you are going to have to give up some pretty significant things to have a chance to be approved.

September 09, 2018, 05:54:35 PM #5 Last Edit: September 09, 2018, 07:06:37 PM by number13
-self deleted-

Quote from: seidhr on September 09, 2018, 04:33:44 PM
I guess another rule would be that we don't write custom code for any PC's special app, so if you have some far-fetched idea for it and we don't already have a script for it, sorry.
Is it possible for staff to reveal any such scripts that might exist? Otherwise it's very difficult to determine if it's possible to apply for a script to be applied to a spec apped character assuming custom code won't be written. I'd be curious to know if you guys could reveal anything weird or wonderful that otherwise might never be seen by the playerbase :)
It's not easy for a player to determine what is within the bounds of possibility and what is simply unfeesible
yousuck

I once had a special app approved to play a character the rank of Bard in Tuluk for Irofel though she was exiled.  She became a pretty badass Byn Sergeant eventually.  It was fun.

Most folks use special applications to play stuff they can't play, but it is fun to see folks come through with stuff that is creative.  Especially when they aren't focused on just having a more powerful character.

Some folks ask for detriments.  Like having a hook hand.  Or not starting with normal languages.  Or playing a blind character.

We had someone relatively recently play a non-humanoid race.  It was a fairly new player, too.

Special Apping a Mekillot incoming.
"Bring out the gorgensplat!"

I spec apped a dwarf with scales for skin.  I tried for fur but that got squashed.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson