The burning sun rises high into the sky, searing the earth.

Started by sarahjc, October 26, 2003, 10:15:43 AM

Is this true..would earth be a word used to discribe the ground???
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!
Quote from: JollyGreenGiant"C'mon, attack me with this raspberry..."

Hey, that's a good point!  :-)
Maybe "searing the land" or "searing the <insert zone specific word>?
sands/alley/ground?
 taste the sands.
I smell my death.
Is that the Mantis head?
Oh, fek!

I just noticed it while I was on a walk..and thought it odd..
Quote from: jmordetskySarah's TALZEN Makeup Bag–YOU MAY NOT PASS! YOU ARE DEFILED WITH A Y CHROMOSOME, PENIS WIELDER! ATTEMPT AGAIN AND YOU WILL BE STRUCK DEAD!

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=earth

So, yes.. 'earth' can describe the ground or land in general. Earth with a capital E would be our planet.

Quote from: "witchman"Hey, that's a good point!  :-)
Maybe "searing the land" or "searing the <insert zone specific word>?
sands/alley/ground?

Or "sandlands".

There are many places that are definatly 'dirt' rather than just 'sand'.  Even in the wastes around Allanak there are farms, and then there's Tuluk...

I vote for zalanthas.

As in, searing the zalanthas.

Yes, you may damn me and my logic.
ife, like a dome of many-coloured glass,
Stains the white radiance of eternity.
 --Percy Bysshe Shelley

Or seering the dry. crusted dirt..

Scorching sand...

ex..

Or many other words could be used I just found it odd to use earth.. though not gramatically incorrect.

I'd prefer:
"The burning sun rises high into the sky, searing the land."

Yeah.

Personally, and this is just my own personal opinion, and doesn't represent the rest of the staffs point of view, but I'm really rather happy with the way it currently is. "Earth" is just another way to say 'ground', 'land', or 'dirt'. The planet we're on is called 'The Earth' or 'Terra' (which also means 'ground', 'dirt', 'earth', or 'land'), because people in olden times only knew it as what it is: the ground.

If it were capitalized: "The burning sun rises high into the air, searing The Earth.", then you'd be right, and there would probably be a need for a change. But...since it isn't, then 'the earth' is just refering to what you're standing on.

However, if you are really ambitious and feel like it, you can submit time-passage messages for each of the different rooms/zones...so maybe if you're in the salt flats, the burning sun might sear the salty ground, if you were in the Red Desert, it would burn the dunes, or if you were in the stables, the burning sun would bake the kank-pies. I would email them to mud@ginka.armageddon.org, or use the 'idea' command in the room you are standing in - being specific, and offering up ideas would be incredibly  helpful to your cause overall.

Chances are we'll ignore ideas like: "It would be cool to see some different time messages in this room", in favor for ideas like: "Idea for a "late morning" message in this room: "Children whip out thier magnifying glasses and begin zorching small bugs as the sun slowly passes overhead.".

Or something to that effect.
Tlaloc
Legend

Grin, I was waiting for somebody that knew this planet had A name.
A gaunt, yellow-skinned gith shrieks in fear, and hauls ass.
Lizzie:
If you -want- me to think that your character is a hybrid of a black kryl and a white push-broom shaped like a penis, then you've done a great job

While we are talking about it, am I the only one who often has to catch themselves after almost having a pc say 'Why on earth....'?

No, you're not, CRW.  Luckily, it's quickly and easily changed to "Why under Krath... ?"

No, CRW, you're not alone.

I've also paused a few times before using the word 'earth' in an emote, actually, and if I can, I tend to substitute it with words like 'soil' or 'sand' or 'ground'. Just a quirk of mine to avoid all RL refferences possible. However, I have no problem with seeing it in the game.

I mean, if you want to get real anal, you could refuse to use the word 'sun' as well, but I think people are generally aware that Suk-Krath is the name of the sun, and not the sun itself. You can still say 'earth, sun, moon' ... even though the element of ground is Ruk, I don't think people are expected to call it 'Ruk' all the time. You don't see many people walking around going 'Yeah, I tripped and busted my chin open on Ruk yesterday'.

Edited because I'm half-asleep and not paying attention to dumb typos.

Quote from: "Gorobei"No, you're not, CRW.  Luckily, it's quickly and easily changed to "Why under Krath... ?"

Oh I like that one.  In fact, I'm going to steal it and make it mine, and claim I created it.

While I'm at it, stop taking credit for my sayings, Gorobei.

CRW - the SCO of the boards.

<dork>

Well, while we're being technical about the name of the planet we live on, we might as well be technical about the sun, too.

A 'sun' is a star that has planets around it. THE sun is the star that floats overhead, searing our Earth (or whatever planet you happen to be standing on at the time). It also has a name: Sol (oddly enough, it means 'sun').

The sun of Zalanthas also has a name: Suk-Krath.

</dork>
Tlaloc
Legend

The </dork> tag doesn't work unless someone does it for you, Tlaloc.  Everyone knows that.  You can't undork yourself!

Tlaloc

</dork>

Now you've been undorked.
It matters not how strait the gate,
How charged with punishments the scroll,
I am the master of my fate:
I am the captain of my soul.

The Swedish word for sun is "solen" (the "o" is long making it more like soolen).

Use this knowledge to show-off during lunch at work or find some other use for it.

I beleive the name of the sun being Sol is latin and is more of an official name. Like the name of our earth is Terran, which means earth as well I'm pretty sure.

Creeper
21sters Unite!

Terra.  Some cross-linguistic nomenclature found here.

Earth is ironically the only planet whose English name does not derive from Greek/Roman mythology. (The name derives from Old English and Germanic.)
quote="CRW"]i very nearly crapped my pants today very far from my house in someone else's vehicle, what a day[/quote]

Sorry. Humans are Terrans. Terra is Earth. Earth is just English but I think Terran well still be the scientific term for it even in English so it depends which way your going. Day to day or scientific.

SHRUG.

Creeper has no clue.
21sters Unite!

terra - noun

terran - adjective

example: terracotta, terra firma: sculpted red clay, as in a vase or planter, and "firm ground," respectively.

edited because I misspelled firma and again because terran is an adjective, not a verb. I'm tired. Go away all of you kthxbye

Well THIS thread explains a certain person's signature  :lol:

I take that as a personal insult and challenge you to a duel!

Creeper takes out a metal gauntlet and repeating beats John about the head with it.
21sters Unite!