Plot raffle.

Started by RogueGunslinger, January 23, 2017, 09:21:11 AM

January 23, 2017, 06:33:17 PM #75 Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 06:34:48 PM by Delirium
As a final note, responding "Jesus Christ" or making otherwise snide comments -

Not a great way to have a productive or rational discussion.

Quote from: Delirium on January 23, 2017, 04:51:50 PM
Maybe I'm just a snob but I really don't see what a kruth game adds to the game.

I think it comes down to how one personally defines a plot. When in doubt submit a request, I suppose. Can't hurt your chances, can it?

Regarding the comprehension/Jesus Christ/whatever comments:

assess -v high
A high horse is many times your height.
A high horse appears to be mainly made out of manure.
A high horse is in excellent condition.

:)

January 23, 2017, 06:44:18 PM #77 Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 06:48:34 PM by wizturbo
Quote from: Delirium on January 23, 2017, 06:33:17 PM

I'm a pretty diplomatic guy, but that's pretty much my response to what I was seeing on the GDB at the time too.

"Hey guys, I'm starting up a cool new raffle!"

GDB response from veteran players:

I'm getting the sense that more criticism was perceived here than actually intended, but that's on the posters who wanted to play critics this morning instead of maybe framing things a bit more positively?

Also, you're mis-quoting me.  It's Jesus Christ ©.   Yes the © matters.  It was meant to be a joke.  It obviously failed to deliver so I took it out.  I surrender from this thread!   :-X

For anyone who is upset at some mild reservation and/or criticism of a few facets of an otherwise good idea...

I guess I just have to say that most, if not all, players have been in that exact position many times, and if they were to respond with something like "jesus christ" or some other flippant remark, they would be bombarded for it.

Yes, I could/should have used more careful phrasing and more emojis to make sure I was coming across right.

Or people could have given me the same benefit of the doubt they so often demand. :)

Quote from: Delirium on January 23, 2017, 06:31:01 PM
The second bullet point is solvable by letting someone burn a custom craft submission on having a custom scar/tattoo. That way, winning the raffle is not the only way to possess one (and therefore be instantly marked IG as a raffle-winner).

I really like this. Staff, read this. Please. Staff, please. I'd burn six months worth of mastercrafting to make my characters codedly uglier.
And I vanish into the dark
And rise above my station

January 23, 2017, 06:57:05 PM #80 Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:00:00 PM by wizturbo
If it was just a normal GDB discussion, I'd be less sensitive about it.  But it's the reveal of a new program that's going to take a significant amount of work from Cayuga and staff to carry out, is overwhelming positive, and the critical tone of the thread was almost certainly drowning out what should have been butt pats and high-fives for the community.

I'm as guilty of this kind of thing as anyone else on the thread on other issues (include the word Magick and you'll get me riled up real good).  I don't want to come off as a hypocrite here, I just feel like maybe I'm the one who woke up on the right side of the bed this morning. 

Group hugs.  xoxo

January 23, 2017, 06:58:08 PM #81 Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:01:17 PM by BadSkeelz
Quote from: Fathi on January 23, 2017, 06:54:18 PM
Quote from: Delirium on January 23, 2017, 06:31:01 PM
The second bullet point is solvable by letting someone burn a custom craft submission on having a custom scar/tattoo. That way, winning the raffle is not the only way to possess one (and therefore be instantly marked IG as a raffle-winner).

I really like this. Staff, read this. Please. Staff, please. I'd burn six months worth of mastercrafting to make my characters codedly uglier.

Being able to burn a extended app to get some extra skills/new subguild added to an existing character would be really really cool for those of us who always seem to get locked in to "completely-normal-mundane-non-extended PCs who are too fun/have stats to good to store" too >.>

Edit: I mean, honestly. If I could have busted my ass running plots in exchange for being granted a subguild with Scan on my Arm Lieutenant, I might have done so. Or at least not adopted my "plots are for suckers" attitude.

January 23, 2017, 06:59:27 PM #82 Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:06:53 PM by Rathustra
Quote from: Delirium on January 23, 2017, 06:33:17 PM

Jesus Christ

edit: For what it's worth I said only 'Jesus Christ'. Any additional meaning was provided by those who replied. It was such a spectacular disassembly and tacit dismissal of an idea, such a perfect example of seemingly bad faith posting that I really couldn't see any other way to enter into the 'productive or rational discussion' ongoing. I can't imagine anyone who isn't suitably jaded by GDB exposure being able to keep up appearances either, honestly. Sorry that it derailed the discussion - which I'm glad developed some greater understanding and enthusiasm.

The ol' edit to avoid being banned for shitposting trick. Patented Rathustra.

I love y'all. Let's have a have nice big orgy RPT and make up?

Dibs on Delirium. She's mine!

January 23, 2017, 07:19:20 PM #84 Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:31:58 PM by wizturbo
I see what you did there Akaramu.

I'd really like to see some examples of each type of plot. I know that every Nekrete I shovel shit out of the latrines, is that a 1 person plot?
3/21/16 Never Forget

Quote from: wizturbo on January 23, 2017, 07:19:20 PM
I see what you did there Akaramu.

I saw what you did before the edit, so it counts.  ;D

I think this is a neat idea to encourage the type of play the involves multiple PCs instead of endless apartment mudsexxing.

I think a lot of the confusion is a result of the different perspectives storytellers and players have.

I don't play actively right now because real life but I'm interested to see how this pans out.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

January 23, 2017, 07:38:22 PM #88 Last Edit: January 23, 2017, 07:46:27 PM by lostinspace
Quote from: lostinspace on January 23, 2017, 07:32:10 PM
I'd really like to see some examples of each type of plot. I know that every Nekrete I shovel shit out of the latrines, sometimes with 2+ other people, is this a plot?

Oh also, are the plots entry into the raffle contingent on completion? I can come up with a dozen possible plots in my head right now and submit them, but I can guarantee I won't have time for all of them in game. If I submit all of these plots am I entered in the raffle for each, or only once they're in progress / completed.

edit: Realized apparently 1 player plots don't exist. Does this mean that loners who actively avoid clans and allies will need to find others just to make plots?
3/21/16 Never Forget

I am a little amazed, slightly baffled, and mostly curious about how this project turned into such an expedition. However, I can not possibly thumb through all of these pages and hope to answer every question posted. If you care to, please submit a question request and I will resolve it as soon as I am able.

The goal of this drive was to push players into interacting with one another on a meaningful level. Maybe an initial Kruth card party isn't a plot, but creating a time and place and having a goal with the Kruth games is, or can be:

Amos wants to skim some sid off of the 'sid pot at gambling night and funnel it into his spice habit, which affects his mate, Malik, in a bad way. Malik is a Kadian aide and Amos had to start sniffing spice when he found out that Malik was being pursued by a Templar because of a sense of helplessness at the only person he truly trusts being physical at the demand of someone else he can't fight.

Amos regularly schedules cards with Amosa, Talia, Malika, and Juan, and they usually have games on these days at these times. Amos worries that if they know he's skimming the pot that they will not want to play, but he wants to anyway because it's his only thrill these days besides the occasional sniff of smuggled spice he buys from Juan. Amos uses these events to manipulate his way into friendships. He wants to see the inside of a noble's estate some day and so he makes sure to invite Talia every half-month as she is Lord Jimothy 'the Anvil' Tor's senior aide. He invites Malika because she is a good source of information for contract prices in the Byn, and he invites Juan because Juan is one of his closest friends (or at least is in his mind, along with being his drug dealer) who would have his back if a fight ever broke out during gambling night.

Over the next two card meets, I plan on spreading rumors of y to accomplish x. Amos wants to steal z amount of coins from the pot to fund his spice habit, and maybe to buy new shoes.

Possible Conclusions:
1) His gambling friends find out he's skimming the pot and react how they will.
2) Amos gets enough money for spice and possibly new shoes.
2a) Amos could be snitched out by Malik or Juan and had a run-in with a templar or soldier.
3) Someone gets feisty at the card game and Amos and Juan have to stab them.
4) More people get involved and Amos has to be really careful because One-Eyed Joe, Talia's mate who has expressed interest in tagging along sometime, is a known card counter.

(The above is something I came up with off of the cuff, so I apologize for its lack of polish.)
--

I believe that the positive posts by Feco and Malken clarified some of what I wanted to say here, but again, rather than clutter up this thread with negativity, I would prefer you send in requests. If there are extremely pertinent questions asked, I will be sure to post them on the GDB so that everyone can see staff responses.

lostinspace: You'll have to send in a request, and from there I can see what you mean about solo-plots. The goal of this raffle again is aforementioned. To further elucidate, submitting plots/coming up with ideas doesn't mean anything if they're not going to go into action.
Lâche pas la patate!
Quote from: Asmoth on February 12, 2016, 03:42:53 PM
...I'm almost certain that I shouldn't be pronouncing some of them like Urine-Moose.

Quote from: Riev on January 23, 2017, 09:25:30 AM
Byn Sergeants will win every time. They involve everyone! (Yes, I understand its actually other clans that actually involve the Byn, but the idea of Byn "always running the plots" makes me giggle.)

This actually raises a good point: if noble X initiates the plot by hiring the Byn, surely the noble will gain the points being the initiator/person paying/organizing?

Quote from: Gravity on January 23, 2017, 09:09:20 PM
Byn Sergeants will win every time. They involve everyone! (Yes, I understand its actually other clans that actually involve the Byn, but the idea of Byn "always running the plots" makes me giggle.)

This actually raises a good point: if noble X initiates the plot by hiring the Byn, surely the noble will gain the points being the initiator/person paying/organizing?

Why not both?

HAPPYINDIANGIRLMEME.GIF
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on January 23, 2017, 09:11:44 PM
Quote from: Gravity on January 23, 2017, 09:09:20 PM

Why not both?

HAPPYINDIANGIRLMEME.GIF

'tis a good point! Depends who staff are willing to reward - it then becomes more about who did what, who was more involved, who managed the people involved etc.

After more reflection, I like the idea in theory but am concerned it opens new avenues for players to claim favoritism where none exists, and will create a lot of extra work upstairs.

Is this tracked by individual storytellers? Who will be the bearer of bad news? Are all players in the same raffle pool or is it divided by staff team (GMH, indie, southern, etc)? If storytellers are responsible for making sure "plots" are being properly tracked, will admins be playing double duty to verify "plots" aren't being overlooked?

I'm not trying to sound overly critical, I just know from experience that things don't always play out the way everyone hopes and the sooner you identify holes in a plan, the sooner you can fix them :)
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

^^ for what it's worth, that was my goal when I brought up my hesitations. I should have clarified that.

Quote from: Lizzie on February 10, 2016, 09:37:57 PM
You know I think if James simply retitled his thread "Cheese" and apologized for his first post being off-topic, all problems would be solved.

Quote from: HavokBlue on January 23, 2017, 09:51:37 PM
After more reflection, I like the idea in theory but am concerned it opens new avenues for players to claim favoritism where none exists, and will create a lot of extra work upstairs.

Trying to get my head around this.

First, let's assume that 50% of the players make some level of plots (big or small) to get their name in the pot.  This maybe a fair amount of work for the staff but this is exactly the kind of work that the ST/Admin teams WANT to do because it really makes the game all that much more immersive.

As an example I hear things on the imm channels like so-and-so in love with so-and-so who secretly has a love child with so-and-so who is a secret magicker breed from Tuluk (or whatever).  This isn't a world changing plot, right? But it is potentially world changing to those characters involved.  This (or bigger ideas) is what we are interested in giving incentives to pursue.

Second, maybe people don't know what a raffle is but by definition all entries have an equal chance of winning. It's random.  This will be no different.  I honestly can't think of a more fair way to go about handing out intensives for admirable interactions.

As to answering the particulars on how it will be handled I'll leave that to the people in charge of the project... unless it involves code I'll bow out of that bit! ;)

To clarify, I'm not accusing staffers of favoritism. But we all know there is a chunk of the playerbase that will look at any sort of 'reward' and cry foul, regardless of how it is distributed.

Quote from: HavokBlue on January 23, 2017, 10:58:34 PM
To clarify, I'm not accusing staffers of favoritism. But we all know there is a chunk of the playerbase that will look at any sort of 'reward' and cry foul, regardless of how it is distributed.

And why should we care about that? If not that, it'll be something else.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: HavokBlue on January 23, 2017, 10:58:34 PM

Fair enough.  Nothing I can do to change anyone's mind on that but I can say unequivocally that isn't the case.  Believe it or not, that will be up to the individuals.