Sneak and Hide: Once More With Gusto

Started by nauta, January 04, 2017, 11:30:11 AM

Quote from: manipura on January 05, 2017, 11:24:59 AM
An option for a targeted hemote would let you keep your subtle actions from -almost- everyone in the room.

Maybe up the chance of noticing a regular hemote for any PC targeted in the hemote?  This may already exist, but if you had the same chance to notice a hemote with you as a target as you did if you were watching the PC performing the hemote, that might save on coding effort?  Mmm... probably still requires parsing the hemotes looking for targets... uggh.
Quote from: BadSkeelz
Ah well you should just kill those PCs. They're not worth the time of plotting creatively against.

Quote from: whitt on January 05, 2017, 11:35:29 AM
Quote from: manipura on January 05, 2017, 11:24:59 AM
An option for a targeted hemote would let you keep your subtle actions from -almost- everyone in the room.

Maybe up the chance of noticing a regular hemote for any PC targeted in the hemote?  This may already exist, but if you had the same chance to notice a hemote with you as a target as you did if you were watching the PC performing the hemote, that might save on coding effort?  Mmm... probably still requires parsing the hemotes looking for targets... uggh.

Yeah I don't know how much of a coding headache this would be, I just like the idea of being able to target one person individually, because I'm subtly interacting with them, while the rest of the room wouldn't notice.  If I'm in busy room with someone and sitting across from them at a table, they will most likely notice when I briefly widen my eyes at them, in response to their comment.  The majority of the others in the room are unlikely to notice, unless they are watching me.  But the person across from me, who I am actively talking to...they probably should notice because I'm making a point of doing it so they notice.  Same as sitting close to someone and subtly touching their leg under the table.  The rest of the room isn't likely to notice, but the targeted person should, whether they are actively scanning or watching, because...you know...you just touched them. 
If it's left up to someone's perception skills noticing or not noticing a hemote, does that mean that you can only do this sort of thing with someone who has watch or scan?  Again this sort of comes back to should I RP an action based on what I would do, or what I think my 'audience' might be seeing?

But yeah...just random thoughts at this point, for all I know target hemotes would be a coding nightmare.  ;)

Quote from: manipura on January 05, 2017, 11:56:47 AM
Yeah I don't know how much of a coding headache this would be, I just like the idea of being able to target one person individually, because I'm subtly interacting with them, while the rest of the room wouldn't notice.

+1 for playing footsies under the table! It's always akward when the targeted person doesn't notice  :-[

Maybe we could have a temote (targeted emote) for shenanigans the targeted player would notice without watch check, but to everyone else it would be a hemote?

Yep that's just what I suggested in my other reply...that promptly got pagerolled! :)

A way to target just one individual who sees the emote as an emote, while everyone else in the room only notices if they are highly perceptive.

temote Malik Under the table, @ casually brushes a slippered foot against %Malik leg.

January 05, 2017, 05:21:08 PM #29 Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 05:27:59 PM by 650Booger
what is the correct way to break your hide, when you don't want to be hidden anymore?  example:

>hide
>hemote slips behind a stone pillar
>semote smirks from her hiding spot, as she watches Amos and Amosette making out passionately
>Emote steps out from behind the pillar
>Say (exclaiming loudly) Aha!  You're totally busted!

assuming I had max hide and the couple had low perception, what would this echo to them?
Maybe there needs to be an "unhide" command that doesn't leave any echo.
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: 650Booger on January 05, 2017, 05:21:08 PM
what is the correct way to break your hide, when you don't want to be hidden anymore?  example:

>hide
>semote smirks from her hiding spot, as she watches Amos and Amosette making out passionately

assuming I had max hide and the couple had low perception, what would this echo to them?

I think 'Vis' works for this? I might be wrong..
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

I think it's visible.

Edit: the hide help file really should make mention of this, but for some reason it does not.

I always just type stand. Even if I'm standing. I noticed then that an aggressive npc attacked me as soon as I did that, so it must make you visible.

oh cool, thanks all!  Also my example was terrible and didn't fit my question, but whatevs!
"Historical analogy is the last refuge of people who can't grasp the current situation."
-Kim Stanley Robinson

Quote from: 650Booger on January 05, 2017, 06:10:59 PM
oh cool, thanks all!  Also my example was terrible and didn't fit my question, but whatevs!

I enjoyed the example.  :-*    ;D

Quote from: WanderingOoze on January 05, 2017, 05:30:58 PM
Quote from: 650Booger on January 05, 2017, 05:21:08 PM

>hide

I think 'Vis' works for this? I might be wrong..

To answer the question in your post...

Someone steps out from behind the pillar.

Exclaiming loudly, The tall, muscular woman exclaims, in southern-accented sirihish:
     "Ah ha! You're totally busted!"

Well...emoting and saying something is one way to break hide.  I am assuming though that a sneaky person who wants to break hide isn't always wanting to announce their presence.  They just aren't wanting to actively be hiding anymore.

Emoting, saying, opening a pack, standing etc...all these things will break hide and announce your presence to the room at large.

Visible stops you from actively hiding, while not announcing to everyone "Hey, hey!  I'm over here!"

January 05, 2017, 09:49:03 PM #37 Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 09:51:49 PM by nauta
Quote from: manipura on January 05, 2017, 07:09:31 PM
Well...emoting and saying something is one way to break hide.  I am assuming though that a sneaky person who wants to break hide isn't always wanting to announce their presence.  They just aren't wanting to actively be hiding anymore.

Emoting, saying, opening a pack, standing etc...all these things will break hide and announce your presence to the room at large.

Visible stops you from actively hiding, while not announcing to everyone "Hey, hey!  I'm over here!"

Just to be clear: 'emote' does not break hide.  If you are successfully hidden and 'emote' you will remain hidden but appear as 'someone' in the emote rather than your sdesc as per Delirium's answer above.  (At least I think that's true.  Emote probably should break hide, since its for 'noisy' actions.)
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

emote there is a subtle crackling of dry leaves among the trees, as if @ or some creature were stalking closer.

I'm...now rather confused. Does emote break hide or not? I always thought Say and Emote were safe....but, now im less than sure.

Opening a pack breaks hide, or so the help file says! I seriously -don't- know if it breaks you completely. I want to say it depends on the perceptive abilities of whomever you're targeting?
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

emote does not break hide, but is visible to everyone else. Your sdesc gets changed to <someone> thought. Saying stuff does break hide though.

While emote doesn't -codedly- break hide, I tend to be of the thought that what most people are emoting is an action that should break hide.  In the example above, emoting stepping out from the pillar gives an echo of 'someone' stepping out.  At that point, I think you've sort of drawn enough attention to yourself that you should not really be hidden still.  Usually it's followed by a hide-breaking action, like 'say' in the above example.  If you're hidden and you're emoting something without planning to break hide fully...should you be hemoting it instead? 
When someone is hiding and they point out their hiding to you with an emote, and then they don't act further, it sort of feels like a case of them simply wanting to point out "Hey, I'm a sneaky hider and you can't see."

Quote from: manipura on January 05, 2017, 11:46:11 PM
While emote doesn't -codedly- break hide, I tend to be of the thought that what most people are emoting is an action that should break hide.  In the example above, emoting stepping out from the pillar gives an echo of 'someone' stepping out.  At that point, I think you've sort of drawn enough attention to yourself that you should not really be hidden still.  Usually it's followed by a hide-breaking action, like 'say' in the above example.  If you're hidden and you're emoting something without planning to break hide fully...should you be hemoting it instead? 
When someone is hiding and they point out their hiding to you with an emote, and then they don't act further, it sort of feels like a case of them simply wanting to point out "Hey, I'm a sneaky hider and you can't see."

This. Codedly, you can emote for DAAYYYYS doing things and people with low perception/scan won't be able to ACTUALLY see you and target you. But I think its a general courtesy that if you echo "the closet shakes a bit as @ steps out from inside!" .... maybe you type "eq" or "stand" to break your hide, or then say something.

Unless you're in a crowd, which is rare, and you throw a super-powered rotten petoch fruit at someone. Then maybe stay hidden and don't tell anyone about it.
Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Riev on January 06, 2017, 08:41:02 AM
Quote from: manipura on January 05, 2017, 11:46:11 PM

This. Codedly, you can emote for DAAYYYYS doing things and people with low perception/scan won't be able to ACTUALLY see you and target you. But I think its a general courtesy that if you echo "the closet shakes a bit as @ steps out from inside!" .... maybe you type "eq" or "stand" to break your hide, or then say something.

Unless you're in a crowd, which is rare, and you throw a super-powered rotten petoch fruit at someone. Then maybe stay hidden and don't tell anyone about it.

Even then, I might 'hide' again after revealing myself, to give people a chance of seeing me. Gives about a 2-5 second chance for someone to spot you in the crowd.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~