The Massive Conflict Thread

Started by Taven, December 01, 2016, 09:47:44 PM

December 13, 2016, 11:51:35 PM #200 Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 09:01:55 AM by Nergal
I honestly think the lack of trust I am seeing between players (not between PCs) is what leads to conflict avoidance, skill focus, and apparent lack of drive to 'do anything'.

As MJ said, i'm starting with the man in the mirror.

I think unless we start giving each other the benefit of the doubt, we will be playing a zero sum game together. No one will want to stick around for the raider, because 'all raiders are crap players and just griefers'. No one will want to engage in conflict, because 'conflict is a zero sum game where everyone just wants to win'.

I can tell you with certainty that there are many, many players of this game who simply DO NOT DO THIS. We play to lose. We love losing. We love having mental breakdowns with our PCs when they are failing. We like to see our PCs fail and die horribly.

I've lately looked at the GDB and been sort of disappointed to see people vocally expressing how the other players in this community are crap. How they only care about skills, and will jump to murdering people for completely OOC reasons of 'winning'. I just think this is utter horseshit, and i'm sort of disappointed to see this is how some people think about their fellow players.

There might be a couple rotten apples in the bunch, but I don't think that makes the whole barrel of apples rotten and inedible.

No wonder you avoid conflict. You don't trust anyone to engage in conflict with.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

I stand by the enforcement of a strict monologue policy. It's very eloquent and never in bad taste, lads.

Whatever happens, happens.

Guys, please, keep it civil. If you have opinions, post your opinions. I would highly suggest submitting player complaints if you have issues with any anecdotal situation. We, as players, never get the full story - and that's part of the fun. But ragging about it on the GDB isn't fun.

QuoteA female voice says, in sirihish:
     "] yer a wizard, oashi"

So usually I play live-under-a-rock pcs and don't know where major conflicts are happening usually. Where are they missing recently? Do you think the lack of nilazis is a significant part of it? Not enough interHouse conflict? Maybe staff can set aside some time to start throwing gith at Luir's every three or four days for a couple of weeks. You wouldn't have to do anything major apart from spamming the creation of the cannon fodder--- just make the gith interested in throwing some forces at Luir's and you have a party involving Kurac and the Byn.

Perhaps throw out a couple of secret House role calls to stir up trouble. Staff have been that specific before, where the overarching plot has already been decided. Example, revive the Borsail Wyverns, gear them up, and have them alternate between sparring and clashing with other Houses.
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

December 14, 2016, 07:28:59 AM #204 Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 07:32:19 AM by Nergal
This thread is not about one specific person.

Staff are not going to be drawn into discussing your case in public. Put in a request and we'd be more than happy to explain. Further derailment of this thread by the same posters will lead to temp bans.

Can we maybe petition for pickpockets to be able to bribe  when crim flagged then?! Because hard jail time for stealing some sids sucks donkey balls.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

I'd settle for starting with hide and getting climb up to actual master, really. Training sneak on a character with AI agility is impossible enough that staff bumped it up for me when nothing would branch from it.

Thank you for that, by the way. I still appreciate it <3
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: boog on December 14, 2016, 08:31:59 AM
Can we maybe petition for pickpockets to be able to bribe  when crim flagged then?! Because hard jail time for stealing some sids sucks donkey balls.

That would be neat. I know every guild has its own playability snags that people wish they could address (warriors primary weapon points being plateaued so low, merchants sometimes having to branch through 4 different skills for a thing if they don't take a redundant subguild, assassins backstab training grief, burglars and finding picks if you don't know how to find the right connections, pickpockets and the crim code for trying to mess with picking pockets, etc). I think there's room for playability improvement with all of those things, and if it would help encourage people to make more 'petty thieves', then I'm all for it. God knows it'd likely make it easier to play an elf. I don't play them but people who do have problems enough at times so... yes please, and +1.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Actually, the way people play these days, just app an elf in Allanak and act like TeamFourStar's Mr.Popo. (youtube that if you don't know.)

By doing nothing other that being a total creep and an elf, you will have spurred the whole city into trying to kill you. Have sneak and hide.
Do yourself a favor, and play Resident Evil 4 again.

I'm changing my perspective on conflict somewhat.

As a player, what responsibility to the playerbase at large do I hold towards making sure the shit in the pot I am stirring won't splash on someone who wouldn't enjoy it?

Don't stir the pot.  If you have no chance in hell to breed IRL, mudsex and start a lot of baby mama drama.  If you're getting enough of that IRL, start plots that emphasize your maniacal genius.  Just make sure in your self-aggrandizement that no one gets hurt.  Always smile at everyone, and make lots of lasting friends.  Twink hard and die to an NPC.

I hope this post helps.
Where it will go

Show some restraint? That's it pretty much. Nobody is saying you need to be nice to other characters. But you shouldn't be allowed to torpedo other players if they're willing to invite you into negative roleplay.

Kudos if you're willing to put yourself at a disadvantage or play without certain knowledge of the gameworld.

Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: SuchDragonWow on December 17, 2016, 02:33:16 PM
Don't stir the pot.  If you have no chance in hell to breed IRL, mudsex and start a lot of baby mama drama.  If you're getting enough of that IRL, start plots that emphasize your maniacal genius.  Just make sure in your self-aggrandizement that no one gets hurt.  Always smile at everyone, and make lots of lasting friends.  Twink hard and die to an NPC.

I hope this post helps.

I enjoyed that.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

And thus the hurtme flag was born.

toggle hurtme
You are now okay with being hurt!

l
(Hurt me!) The tall, muscular man is standing here.
The tressy-tressed maiden is standing here.

kill tall
You can't do that!  They're willing to play it out!

kill tressy
You kill the tressy-tressed maiden, teaching them to want to roleplay it out.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

Quote from: Armaddict on December 17, 2016, 02:52:21 PM
And thus the hurtme flag was born.

toggle hurtme
You are now okay with being hurt!

l
(Hurt me!) The tall, muscular man is standing here.
The tressy-tressed maiden is standing here.

kill tall
You can't do that!  They're willing to play it out!

kill tressy
You kill the tressy-tressed maiden, teaching them to want to roleplay it out.

Shall we invent an IWIN flag? Dedicated to players who want to win ezpz without any interest in collaborative storytelling?

Or can we understand that sort of strawman isn't helpful.

"Snark helps though," she said snarkily.

Oh, I think it's clear enough in pointing out just how...

QuoteBut you shouldn't be allowed to torpedo other players if they're willing to invite you into negative roleplay.

...sounds.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

'I was only being stupid because I wanted everyone to know how dumb I think you were'
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Ouch.  That stings.  (Not really).

You're still just telling other people how you think they should be allowed and not allowed to play the game according to the dictates of your own enjoyment.  Which means I will come out to point it out again.

December 17, 2016, 03:13:19 PM #220 Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 03:15:54 PM by Jingo
I'm trying to be a bit more respectful in my shitposting here. I don't think it'll last long at this rate though.

If you want, switch out "shouldn't be allowed" to "discouraged".

Quote from: Miradus on December 17, 2016, 01:26:38 PMAs a player, what responsibility to the playerbase at large do I hold towards making sure the shit in the pot I am stirring won't splash on someone who wouldn't enjoy it?
Absolutely none. This shit aint Tuluk. If you have played a character in Armageddon you have opted-in to get your character shit on, killed or framed for something someone else did. If you don't want to engage in that sort of play, there is an easy opt-out command we have in the game. Type "help quit" and then use it to opt-out of harsh and potentially negative towards your character roleplay.

Jesus Christ people. What the hell has happened to this game where this sort of thinking isn't laughed at the second it's posted on the forums? (No offense intended to Miradus. it's a really kind and considerate thought you had. It simple isn't applicable when playing Armageddon. This isn't Gemstone after all).

Just a question. :)

If the general answer is "none" then that's acceptable to me. If the general answer was "some" then I'd adjust accordingly.

Quote from: John on December 17, 2016, 06:08:58 PM
Quote from: Miradus on December 17, 2016, 01:26:38 PMAs a player, what responsibility to the playerbase at large do I hold towards making sure the shit in the pot I am stirring won't splash on someone who wouldn't enjoy it?
Absolutely none. This shit aint Tuluk. If you have played a character in Armageddon you have opted-in to get your character shit on, killed or framed for something someone else did. If you don't want to engage in that sort of play, there is an easy opt-out command we have in the game. Type "help quit" and then use it to opt-out of harsh and potentially negative towards your character roleplay.

Jesus Christ people. What the hell has happened to this game where this sort of thinking isn't laughed at the second it's posted on the forums? (No offense intended to Miradus. it's a really kind and considerate thought you had. It simple isn't applicable when playing Armageddon. This isn't Gemstone after all).

It sounds good for those HARDCORE PLAYERS THAT LOVE THEIR CONFLICT. But the reality is that no established norms of restraint means no trust between players. No trust means no risks taken and means no fun for Jingo.

December 17, 2016, 07:07:55 PM #224 Last Edit: December 17, 2016, 07:52:08 PM by TheWanderer
Look, you dumb butts. Don't go around indiscriminately killing characters. Open two common sense routes during the rise of conflict with one ending in the avoidance of death.

Whether that's a raider giving you the option of handing over your shit or dying, or a noble telling you to get on your knees or die.

(This is where I apologize to the Bynners for that, uh, minor indiscretion. I regret three things and those deaths tally as one.)

Nobody actually thinks a completely random arrow to the throat is cool.

That'll be all. I'm closing this thread now.
Whatever happens, happens.