The Massive Conflict Thread

Started by Taven, December 01, 2016, 09:47:44 PM

Oh, there was play around it. But that star didn't offer a lot of avenues for future enjoyment.

Quote from: Taven on December 26, 2016, 08:40:04 PM
Quote from: Jingo on December 26, 2016, 08:21:10 PM
My primary complaint is that players are allergic to conflict. They'd pull a cheap win rather than slug it out. This system allows players to consolidate power and to marginalize and kill those that don't cooperate.

My suggestion is a way to introduce a power outside the pc-centric structure to chip away at the cement.

I think we'll have to agree to disagree on this one, because I would rather see players given more conflict opportunities, and not present death as the singular solution.

Instead of placing a special role with the intent of maximizing their kill-for-coin ratio by convincing players more people need to die for any reason at all (because they want coin and it's in their interests to convince people of that), I want more complex conflict. I want more reasons for complex conflict.

It's just one example. Maybe a focus on bodycount is the wrong idea.

I think the idea still has some merit.

Why not a rogue magicker with designs on intruding upon a clan compound to recover a secret artifact?

Why not a Nenyuki NPC with an unlimited bank balance that wants to turn noble houses against one another?

Or a criminal gang with designs on pulling a heist?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Jingo,  my worry with all of your ideas is that they are plot ideas of heavy Immteraction.  Dont get me wrong, they're all cool ideas, but they dont solve the underlining issue. The problem with lack of conflict is that the clans are designed in such a way that they've got nothing to conflict about. That is how I understood the OP anyway. Your ideas are good ideas for having an one-off plot. But they dont solve a problem, unless you're expecting staff to continuously create, run, and maintain plot designs that would bring the conflict in. Instead of letting the players create their own.

• What about a gang of elf youths who sneak into upscale bars and plant dung in the pockets of aides/soldiers?
  • What about a reverse burglar who breaks into apartments and tidies the place up and tastefully decorates the interior?
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.

Quote from: Bushranger on December 27, 2016, 01:52:21 AM

• What about a reverse burglar who breaks into apartments and tidies the place up and tastefully decorates the interior?

one and done my friend, this is next PC concept.
    "You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on December 27, 2016, 02:39:35 AM
    Quote from: Bushranger on December 27, 2016, 01:52:21 AM

one and done my friend, this is next PC concept.

I guess you could say they...
         ...cleaned the place out.

YEEEEAAAAAAAAAH!
    Quote from: WarriorPoet
    I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
    Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
    Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

"As a templar, you will be responsible for upholding the laws of the Glorious Highlord's city of Allanak, and occasionally bending them to suit your own needs.  You may be interested in war, or in catching criminals and throwing them in the Arena, or maybe you are disinterested in everything except making those sids and your own comfort."

A Templar like this---- but whose greed knows no limit. They are like an elf, trying to take every damn thing that they want. Nobles' pleasure slaves, House Kadius's money, it doesn't stop. They do it often enough that it starts creating a snowball effect. And it starts screwing around with other peoples' interests.

And why? Because that Templar is too fucking greedy.
    https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
    gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
    kumpania: a family of story tellers.
    vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

;D

there's mad conflict right now.

had to necro this thread to say so.
    "You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on January 12, 2017, 12:21:04 PM
    ;D

I can't believe she slept with him!

... oh wait... that's not the mad you meant
    Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
    Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Quote from: Reiloth on January 12, 2017, 12:21:04 PM
    ;D

I wish I wasn't so clueless all the time.  :(

There's almost always conflict going on, it's just a question of how long it takes for them to explode into fountains of blood so more people see them.  :)

Quote from: wizturbo on January 12, 2017, 01:21:05 PM
    There's almost always conflict going on, it's just a question of how long it takes for them to explode into fountains of blood so more people see them.  :)

Does conflict that only happens in backrooms and way conversations really count though?
    Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on January 13, 2017, 12:20:03 PM
    Quote from: wizturbo on January 12, 2017, 01:21:05 PM

Does conflict that only happens in backrooms and way conversations really count though?

If you're currently playing in Allanak, I think you have to -avoid- being in conflict.

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on January 13, 2017, 12:24:24 PM
    If you're currently playing in Allanak, I think you have to -avoid- being in conflict.

I might avoid it if I knew what it was in the first place.  :P

I don't know. I like conflict as in "there are sinister forces moving against me/my people" but most of the actual people interaction just comes away feeling like mean high school girl drama. OCCASIONALLY you get someone who presents a sense of genuine menace due to the power behind them (not individual, but lore). They are rare enough to be notable when you do stumble across them.

Quote from: Miradus on January 13, 2017, 01:07:18 PM

I don't know. I like conflict as in "there are sinister forces moving against me/my people" but most of the actual people interaction just comes away feeling like mean high school girl drama. OCCASIONALLY you get someone who presents a sense of genuine menace due to the power behind them (not individual, but lore). They are rare enough to be notable when you do stumble across them.

Do you even Allanak bro?

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Miradus on January 13, 2017, 01:35:57 PM

Hardly ever. :)

Maybe give it a shot if you want conflict  8)

~Jack Vance~

Heh. I don't know that I do. :)

I'm enjoying my current character a lot. A little bit of conflict going on around me, but not much. I'd say just about the right amount.

Except, of course, being conflict, it can suddenly go from knee deep to neck deep without you doing much.

January 13, 2017, 04:04:39 PM #294 Last Edit: January 13, 2017, 04:08:06 PM by wizturbo
    Quote from: Jingo on January 13, 2017, 12:20:03 PM

Pretty sure not all conflict occurs in backrooms and way conversations.  But like in real life, if people are open about who they want to murder it only makes it harder to do that.  Secrets are a big part of the game.  With that said, some characters are naturally more secretive than others.  Some like to plot and manipulate from behind the scenes, some like to swing a big hammer at things in broad daylight.  If you want to see more hammer in broad daylight, make a character that behaves that way.  Just have a second character concept handy...  :)

What I personally wish was more of a thing in Armageddon was less death focused conflicts.  The solution to everyone's problem too often is 'kill so and so'.  While murder definitely has its place, it's not always the most entertaining.  Trying to humiliate your enemies, make them miserable, or sabotage their ambitions tends to create much more memorable interactions and leaves room for conflicts to percolate into something that can end in a more satisfying fountain of blood with juicy collateral damage.

Ah, if only kidnapping wasn't so OOCly intrusive and terrible to play.

I am, however, all for "I'm going to steal his favorite erdlu" or "He likes that sword so much? I'm taking it". Granted, they CAN just buy new ones, but you took -theirs- and now they're pissed.
    Quote from: IAmJacksOpinion on May 20, 2013, 11:16:52 PM
    Masks are the Armageddon equivalent of Ed Hardy shirts.

Something something bone swordz
    QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
    Vote at TMS
    Vote at TMC

Quote from: wizturbo on January 13, 2017, 04:04:39 PM
    What I personally wish was more of a thing in Armageddon was less death focused conflicts.  The solution to everyone's problem too often is 'kill so and so'.  While murder definitely has its place, it's not always the most entertaining.  Trying to humiliate your enemies, make them miserable, or sabotage their ambitions tends to create much more memorable interactions and leaves room for conflicts to percolate into something that can end in a more satisfying fountain of blood with juicy collateral damage.

This!

The snarky commoner does unspeakable damage your ego with his words.
    You reel from the blow.

I'm really torn about that. In 9 years of playing this game, only 1 time has any pc of mine fooled around with an elf.

And yet I can't count the number of times that has been used as a lie to discredit and make female pcs of mine look bad.

I would rather my character be killed than sexual shit used to punish a female pc of mine falsely at this point. If you can't come up with better than 'whore' or lies about whose been between their legs, just fucking off the character.

I'm a phone sex operator IRL, to hear 'whore' as a gendered insult spat at a pc of mine (who objectively is not a whore)... frankly, I'll leave the clan, I'll store the character, etc. I have to deal with derogatory sexual BS every day in real life. I don't need that in my escapism. I would rather you just leave me be or pk me. Because it makes me hate the game. If I EVER saw it used in the same way against male pcs it'd be different, but I don't.
    Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
    What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.