Overly Concerned with Skills?

Started by The Lonely Hunter, November 29, 2016, 07:59:02 AM

When I play rangers I always make sure to pick advanced guilds that come with sneak right away, there's no way I could play a ranger without sneak + hide already available from the start. Just the thought of having to sit at the Gaj forever to branch sneak *shivers*.

I thought that nowadays they could actually adjust your skills -before- you got in the game, so you didn't have to wish up for it anymore? At least I'm pretty sure that's what happened on my last few characters.. (I admit that it's been forever ago, though).

As much as I'm totally for a brand new skill system to match the realities of 2016, I'll admit that those skill bumps and those advanced guilds are -very- helpful and a step in the right direction.
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Quote from: Malken on December 02, 2016, 05:50:25 PM
When I play rangers I always make sure to pick advanced guilds that come with sneak right away, there's no way I could play a ranger without sneak + hide already available from the start. Just the thought of having to sit at the Gaj forever to branch sneak *shivers*.

I thought that nowadays they could actually adjust your skills -before- you got in the game, so you didn't have to wish up for it anymore? At least I'm pretty sure that's what happened on my last few characters.. (I admit that it's been forever ago, though).

As much as I'm totally for a brand new skill system to match the realities of 2016, I'll admit that those skill bumps and those advanced guilds are -very- helpful and a step in the right direction.

AFAIK, you still have to get the bumps from Admins+ once you are in game. I could be mistaken.

If so, I don't see why it is limited to 3 bumps, or why karma has no affect on how many bumps you get (which I thought was part of the whole appeal for us old timers?)
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Quote from: Reiloth on December 02, 2016, 05:57:29 PM
If so, I don't see why it is limited to 3 bumps, or why karma has no affect on how many bumps you get (which I thought was part of the whole appeal for us old timers?)

Where did you read that the bumps are limited to 3? I thought that weapon skills were limited to 2 but other skills weren't limited as long as you had the karma for it.

Pretty sure Malken is dead on.

Also with no bumps to hidden skills or to skills that branched from bumping.

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,50840.0.html

Slightly baffled why this is the stopgap, when it's been admitted the guild revamp process is ready when it's ready. Why bone the casuals?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Yeah, you only get 3 bumps to skills, unfortunately.

(As a filthy casual) I liked it better the other way!
Child, child, if you come to this doomed house, what is to save you?

A voice whispers, "Read the tales upon the walls."

You two and me both. I had a shiny app all ready and then, uh. I was told it was 3. Dammit.
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

Quote from: Reiloth on December 02, 2016, 07:10:55 PM
http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,50840.0.html

Slightly baffled why this is the stopgap, when it's been admitted the guild revamp process is ready when it's ready. Why bone the casuals?

Oh, that sucks, I never saw that update.

And that was a year ago - I doubt that the 'guild revamp' is anywhere close to being completed.

I'd totally support rolling back the change to skill bump policy, as well.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

I think the skill bump policy is fine because those apps go through about as fast as a normal one (in my experience). However I feel like full Special Applications should be able to get as many skill bumps as would make their concept realistic.