Remaining Organizations

Started by Miradus, November 27, 2016, 12:03:03 PM

Quote from: Malken on December 31, 2016, 04:47:53 PM
I agree. I was mostly disagreeing that it should be called a "duel" code just to pretend that this would be used for people to settle scores and things like that instead of the "let's go train in all safety" like it would be used 99.9% of the time.

I called it challenge code. Other people decided to call it duel code.  ;D

Quote from: Akaramu on December 31, 2016, 04:47:41 PM
I doubt it's IC for most characters to leave the city ONLY to spar. I've certainly never a character who would have gone into the wilderness with a training weapon to spar. The wilderness is where you go to hunt, greb, and travel somewhere - because it's dangerous out there! For instance, I had a warrior bard in Fale who was ICly a sissy and wouldn't have left the city except for very strong, pressing reasons. The poor guy never got a chance to raise his skills for years and years. Because Fale didn't have a training compound.

Some clans don't even allow their minions to leave the city. And silky aides might want combat training, too. You tell that silky aide with guild_merchant to go train with wooden weapons where scrabs and spiders roam!

I think if you've got people in a clan/org who want to spar regularly then they should petition to get some place to do it in their compound. Or rent a large apartment, add each other to the lease, and call it their dojo.

My thought is that the sparring center we're wanting is for independents or for people to spar together across organizational lines (which they can already do, if they trust each other enough to risk going in). I got no solution at all for someone who wants to be ICly a sissy but yet picked 'warrior' as their main guild and wants to get those warrior skills up.

December 31, 2016, 04:57:45 PM #152 Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 05:01:50 PM by Akaramu
You try petitioning for such a room on the clan compound and see what happens. I've never seen it happen!

Wilderness sparring is silly even for most PCs who aren't sissies.

I've always found sparring in apartments a bit iffy, too. Stuff is going to break. The apartment will take damage because you're inevitably going to miss and hit the wall at some point. Or the furniture. And it's noisy! You think the landlord is okay with that? Or the VNPCs who are trying to sleep next door?

Quote from: Miradus on December 25, 2016, 03:54:18 PM

What's interesting is that there's absolutely NOTHING stopping anyone from doing this right now in game.

A few pages back you liked the combat school MMH idea, now you don't anymore... why?

Pretty sure that every clan compound has an area to train in, no?
"When I was a fighting man, the kettle-drums they beat;
The people scattered gold-dust before my horse's feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track
With poison in my wine-cup, and daggers at my back."

Has a landlord ever complained about noisy mudsex or someone being pkilled in a room? Are you thinking the imms are actually going to zing you for poor roleplay for sparring in an apartment?

I've sparred on several occasions in the wilderness. Didn't find it silly. There's also organizations that aren't city-based who do it all the time. Literally all the time. I'd be surprised if right now, while you're reading this, there aren't a couple of people doing it.

December 31, 2016, 05:10:28 PM #155 Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 05:14:10 PM by Akaramu
Quote from: Miradus on December 31, 2016, 05:01:43 PM
Has a landlord ever complained about noisy mudsex or someone being pkilled in a room? Are you thinking the imms are actually going to zing you for poor roleplay for sparring in an apartment?

I've sparred on several occasions in the wilderness. Didn't find it silly. There's also organizations that aren't city-based who do it all the time. Literally all the time. I'd be surprised if right now, while you're reading this, there aren't a couple of people doing it.

Now you're just picking an argument with me even though you didn't mind the MMH combat school idea a few pages back and said there's no one stopping anyone from doing it ingame.  ::)

Dude, you've been playing for less than a year. No, staff aren't going to animate angry landlords for every in-apartment spar, especially not for relatively new players who get away with that kind of stuff more easily. They do happen, though, same for in-apartment PKs (staff might animate a witness who heard screams when the AoD asks questions). Noisy mudsex is an ingame reality that doesn't (usually) break the furniture.

And yes, for a city-based character unstabling a mount, riding someplace reasonably safe, and using up extra water every day for their regular sparring routine is silly. Once or twice for shits and giggles or as a dare, sure. But for regular training? No. Keep in mind I suggested this MMH idea for city-based characters, not hunters or grebbers who ride out every day anyway.

Quote from: Malken on December 31, 2016, 04:59:54 PM
Pretty sure that every clan compound has an area to train in, no?

Haven't seen any except in the Byn and AoD. And now GMH merchants don't get hunters to train with anymore.

"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

And yeah, I don't think Staff condones sparring in apartments. I mean, I guess, if you put the RP into it and you don't have any furniture in there, it could be a sparring room. But when it's full of couches and beds and things, sparring is sort of silly. I look at my bedroom and laugh a little thinking about 'sparring in there'. But, like I said, if you have a spare room and you turn it into a sparring chamber...I don't (personally) see a problem with it, but I imagine Staff might.

I'd love to see a mid-level sparring academy sort of place in Zalanthas, but I think it could be tackled with a MMH and someone with a bunch of gusto! I don't think the need is so great that it needs to arbitrarily be plopped into the game.

I do know Akaramu's feel, and I think I struggle to have a 'combat character' in Allanak who doesn't readily join the Byn. I typically go Rinth, just because there's less questions that need to be asked, and while I don't wantonly murder NPCs, I do engage in petty scraps and over time that's good enough to be 'alright'.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

On a related note, Serpent PKed one of my earlier characters after inviting her to 'spar' outside the city. She had reason to believe that was what he was actually going to do, since he'd wanted her as his apprentice at some point. Man... I should have taken his offer.  :'(

Still my #1 best PK death. He actually talked a bit first, and talked more after while she was paralyzed.

I really wasn't against the idea at all until all the infrastructure started being built around it to protect people from other people.

I feel like there's too much of that in the game already, crimcode being the #1 offender.

You might change your mind about crimcode in a few years. It's absolutely necessary. Still very possible to PK in the city, you just have to be smart about it and avoid public places - which makes perfect sense IC. A public sparring hall would definitely have VNPC witnesses in it even when there's no other PC.

Quote from: Akaramu on December 31, 2016, 05:10:28 PM
Haven't seen any except in the Byn and AoD. And now GMH merchants don't get hunters to train with anymore.

GMH merchants do! It's not so hard a work around. :) But there's definitely a way to "do it".
Case: he's more likely to shoot up a mcdonalds for selling secret obama sauce on its big macs
Kismet: didn't see you in GQ homey
BadSkeelz: Whatever you say, Kim Jong Boog
Quote from: Tuannon
There is only one boog.

If you want to spar consistently with complete IC justifications
and endless partners without having to bend the IC realism, join one of the clans in game that do exactly that.

I have 0 sympathy for 'I want to be a lone wolf/indy character, but still get all the coded advantages of joining a clan, so give me areas in game where I can spar without danger/risk of death, while still being independant and edgy. '

Join a clan, or dont. The choice is yours, just dont complain that you don't get the coded advantages of clanned life as an indy.
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

No one said anything about lone wolf or Indy. But not all clans have sparring compounds, and not all timezone players have clannies to spar with.

And sometimes you might just want to go with whatever clan your PC is being swept into by natural IC events instead of clinging to your OOC mindset of 'I must join a clan with a sparring compound!'

I can only imagine staff frustration after taking all the time and work to add chaltons and vultures to the game and then people go complain about not being able to spar.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on December 31, 2016, 09:08:37 PM
I can only imagine staff frustration after taking all the time and work to add chaltons and vultures to the game and then people go complain about not being able to spar.

The rogue tarantulas and scrab are enjoying those, even if the southern players aren't.

Quote from: Miradus on December 31, 2016, 09:13:42 PM
The rogue tarantulas and scrab are enjoying those, even if the southern players aren't.

Yup.  ;D

Prefer to choose my sparring partner, thank you very much. Those spiders keep inviting themselves to the match. It's so rude!

The chaltons are lovely, though. Almost too cute to kill.  :'(

December 31, 2016, 09:25:27 PM #167 Last Edit: December 31, 2016, 09:30:47 PM by WanderingOoze
[Edit: nevermind, theres a reason I mostly just lurk]
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

I've never been yelled at for sparring in an apartment.

Not that I really give much of a shit about it, because sparring sucks ass if you aren't in an elf tribe or have some other trick up your sleeve.  But, I mean...I've never sparred in an apartment that was like, "This tiny space barely has enough room for a human to fully extend its arms," either.

The idea that the Staff are going to require you to a) spar in a no-law area or b) acquire a friggin' warehouse just so you can practice fighting is...a little paranoid.  If you think Staff are going to begrudge you grinding up to jman over 15 days played by sparring with your bros, you're pretty much entirely wrong, unless there's some new staffer on board who's got some ridiculous pet peeve about it.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Allanak should only allow public sparring if it involves real weapons and ends in death.

Anything else is Tuluki.
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Miradus, placing the blame on the player who has enemies wanting to kill them is a broad generalization. People can be targets just by being who they are, at times. Not everyone gets marked because they "deserve it." Plenty of times I've been in roles, where for <reasons,> someone rolls outta chargen and pretty much immediately decides they wanna kill me. In those situations going outside is rather inconvenient also, if you don't have the ability to defend yourself out there. (hint: with the lethality of long-lived players as they are, it is very hard to defend yourself without constant vigilance as a wet-ear).

I say if there is going to be an inside-city training area, make the change happen IC. It's possible. It may take some MMHery.

Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

A gym that's free for noble house employees and that merchant house employees can pay to enter sounds like a good idea to me. No one else, they don't trust you peons. If you're a kadian following a Fale employee in, you don't have to pay.
https://armageddon.org/help/view/Inappropriate%20vernacular
gorgio: someone who is not romani, not a gypsy.
kumpania: a family of story tellers.
vardo: a horse-drawn wagon used by British Romani as their home. always well-crafted, often painted and gilded

January 01, 2017, 02:35:13 PM #172 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 10:35:20 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA