Teeny Weenies: Consolidation vs Teeny Settlements

Started by Reiloth, November 07, 2016, 06:47:20 PM

Quote from: Jihelu on November 08, 2016, 03:36:47 PM
" Most would know that True Giants occupy that particular location and that there is some sort of circumstances/deal with Red Storm Village on how they get Wheat from there.
"
I thought the history page mentioned how giants were gone, not just hanging out/whatever?
That was a bit off topic but....

I'd like to see 'rebuiling an old outpost/place' a possible thing, or atleast fixing it up to the point of throwing a gate/fixing a gate and using it as a mini outpost/mini home from hom.

I'm not against the idea personally, but once again... it's all dealt with on a case by case basis.  I'll just say that what I've seen with the Indie team, I'd just hit them up and ask rather then assuming that nothing will happen.  Better to try then to just remain bitter and thinking nothing is possible.
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

apologies if this is a bit off topic, however, I'd rather staff focused writing for plots and stories and NPC antagonists instead of opening up more areas to play in. Re-opening of Gith was amazing, and the work they put into that area was humongous... And all I and most others manage to repay them for that work was a quick death and not much in the way of interesting story. I had a lot of fun, don't get me wrong, but it just didn't seem to last and it didn't seem to affect many people.

Now that's not to say that opening up a place like red-storm east wouldn't be great, I just feel like once again the work would show little benefit to the player-base at large.

Places that were once like this, but no more:

Kadian Cabin - Destroyed by fire, once had a shopkeeper with a few items, right outside Canyons of Waste.
Salarr encampment - Used to have an armor and weapon merchant and was a decent place to rest, because it was open to the public.  Taken over by Tzai'Byn.

And two smaller village type places (other than the Nak ones which were just satellites):

Red Storm East - Hard mode for explorers (was before changes to weather/direction sense), but nothing there.
Mal Krian - Destroyed by earthquake.  An inn and you could buy ratlons and not much else.

And that is about it.  And the Kadian and Salarr places never really made sense anyways.
Evolution ends when stupidity is no longer fatal."

November 09, 2016, 01:49:57 PM #28 Last Edit: November 09, 2016, 01:56:03 PM by nauta
So, first and foremost, my experience has been that if you have an idea for something outside the norm, and put some effort into it, and communicate with your staff, you will find positive reception.

Now, OP put a thought in my head, so here's kind of the idea -- I don't know how 'hard' this would be to code or anything, although I'd be curious to hear what people think about the idea itself.  (It probably has been suggested before.)

Random Save Spots.  There's a pool of 10 (or whatever) save rooms that move about each reboot (if empty).  If there are things left in the save room, the room will stick around until those things are removed and the next reboot happens.  Variables here: the pool size (could be 10, could be 20, could be 3); and the time (each reboot = 7 days, but you could make it each month, or each year, or whatever; you could also have it per zone rather than world wide, so they don't all cluster in the silt sea or whatever).

So here's how it'd play out: You are wandering through the dusty plains southwest of Allanak and come across a rocky outcropping which leads to a simple cave.  You think: Oh, this would be a very cool base!  Or you're exploring the shield wall and discover a little cave there.  Or in the woods.  Etc., etc.

Perhaps the save rooms could only discovered with the 'keyword' command, making them even more hidden.  Perhaps some could be discovered on sight, others with 'keyword', maybe even some with 'search', but I'm not even sure if this skill is still in the game.  (If 'search' it should be given to rangers.)

One thing about the current save spots out there is that, as mentioned, every one knows about them already.  This is good and bad: it encourages people to group around known save spots, thus encouraging interaction.  But it makes the idea of turning one of these into a hideout pretty hard.

A second consequence of the proposal is that it would encourage exploration -- and keep those who have an explorer type of personality engaged in the game.

So that's the rough thought.

It still wouldn't solve the age old problem that there'd be no virtual protection at the spot -- but honestly, if you are living in a cave, expect virtual bandits to virtually raid you now and then, and if you want more -- virtual guards -- I think there's some flexibility there with staff, if you have a good concept to back it up.  Perhaps it should be formalized like the MMH.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 08, 2016, 07:40:52 PM
apologies if this is a bit off topic, however, I'd rather staff focused writing for plots and stories and NPC antagonists instead of opening up more areas to play in. Re-opening of Gith was amazing, and the work they put into that area was humongous... And all I and most others manage to repay them for that work was a quick death and not much in the way of interesting story. I had a lot of fun, don't get me wrong, but it just didn't seem to last and it didn't seem to affect many people.

Now that's not to say that opening up a place like red-storm east wouldn't be great, I just feel like once again the work would show little benefit to the player-base at large.

A lot of the muds I've been part of over the years just split that work off to different parts of staff. It's not a zero sum operation where no plots are happening while staff is working on a new area. It's these staff members build areas and these over here do plots.

Quote from: Miradus on November 09, 2016, 03:43:28 PM
Quote from: RogueGunslinger on November 08, 2016, 07:40:52 PM

A lot of the muds I've been part of over the years just split that work off to different parts of staff. It's not a zero sum operation where no plots are happening while staff is working on a new area. It's these staff members build areas and these over here do plots.

Don't we have that in the form of Builders and Storytellers?
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Not real sure, to be frank. Just pointed out how I've seen other muds do it. That's my only real contribution here. I'd like to see more areas because my basic belief has always been that if you're not growing then you're dying. But Arm has about 1/8th the size of the other two muds I've played the most and yet here I am.

As for what we do or don't have, the power structure in Armageddon has always been a little murky to me.

I'm still not entirely sure that BadSkeelz isn't completely in charge.

never fear miradus, badskeelz has no power in this place.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.