Karma Points and Magick Guilds

Started by DustMight, October 05, 2016, 08:44:07 AM

Quick question - haven't played in awhile and don't think I've apped a magick character since the change.

Trying to figure out how karma requirement works:
1. If one were to app a full blown water elementalist, they pick their main guild and then pay a total of 7 karma (CG points) to get all aspects of the water elementist, right?
2. The karma is deducted from the account and must be earned again, later, yes?

Thanks!

Karma is not deducted from your account for playing something requiring it; the only way to lose it is because of staff intervention.

There is also a maximum amount of one magic(or any) subguild per person. You will not get to play a full elementalist unless you ask staff to get one in a special app, unfortunately.
You take the last bite of your scooby snack.
This tastes like ordinary meat.
There is nothing left now.

Quote from: Patuk on October 05, 2016, 09:13:10 AM
Karma is not deducted from your account for playing something requiring it; the only way to lose it is because of staff intervention.

There is also a maximum amount of one magic(or any) subguild per person. You will not get to play a full elementalist unless you ask staff to get one in a special app, unfortunately.

Is that possible? I was under the impression that was not gonna fly after the change to subguilds. They were out the door with elkros and such.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Quote from: Patuk on October 05, 2016, 09:13:10 AM

This isn't allowed/doable as far as I know.
Staff would simply say, like they did with full sorcs, "Full guild elementalists are not open for play" or something.

I will confirm, at the moment, Full Elementalist Guilds are not open for play.  We do try to pay attention to feedback on the new changes, so I will state if you do have some on mechanics, I'd suggest putting in a request on it, so that mechanics are not placed on the forums.  I cannot say we will be making any changes at all, or if we really can go into further detail in requests, but I will say we can listen to constructive feedback.  So if you're going to put in some, please make sure to provide solutions and constructive advise... we really don't want to hear complaints with little to no reasoning behind them.
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

Come on bby, how will I give you the hottest of mudsexingtons if u not let me play nawty full fire magus?
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

Quote from: Desertman on October 05, 2016, 01:49:00 PM
Come on bby, how will I give you the hottest of mudsexingtons if u not let me play nawty full fire magus?

Are you trying to entice them to allow full elementalism, or encourage them to forbid it forever? I cant tell.

Quote from: Ath on October 05, 2016, 12:37:03 PM
I will confirm, at the moment, Full Elementalist Guilds are not open for play.  We do try to pay attention to feedback on the new changes, so I will state if you do have some on mechanics, I'd suggest putting in a request on it, so that mechanics are not placed on the forums.  I cannot say we will be making any changes at all, or if we really can go into further detail in requests, but I will say we can listen to constructive feedback.  So if you're going to put in some, please make sure to provide solutions and constructive advise... we really don't want to hear complaints with little to no reasoning behind them.

On that note, could we possibly get some direction on what would be a good topic ripe for suggestion and change?
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

You know what... I think I have a topic we can discuss.  I'll post in the World section.
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

There's at least one magick subguild that seems to be virtually useless.  Started with 3 useless spells.  Watched them go up.  Branched 3 more useless spells.  I provided detailed feedback and explanation as to why the spells are more or less useless, and the response I got was "working as intended."

I mean, I've literally never used any of these spells in a useful situation. I've done nothing but cast to see if maybe it'll branch something I can actually use.  So...yeah.  Still totally unimpressed at the moment.
Quote from: WarriorPoet
I play this game to pretend to chop muthafuckaz up with bone swords.
Quote from: SmuzI come to the GDB to roleplay being deep and wise.
Quote from: VanthSynthesis, you scare me a little bit.

Quote from: Synthesis on October 19, 2016, 05:53:56 PM

There's at least one magick subguild that seems to be virtually useless.  Started with 3 useless spells.  Watched them go up.  Branched 3 more useless spells.  I provided detailed feedback and explanation as to why the spells are more or less useless, and the response I got was "working as intended."

I mean, I've literally never used any of these spells in a useful situation. I've done nothing but cast to see if maybe it'll branch something I can actually use.  So...yeah.  Still totally unimpressed at the moment.
I want to tell you they have some use.

But they might not.

It is working as intended, it's not working at all!
Or something.
Tbh there needs to be a way to get more spells thats documented or accepted.

Quote from: Jihelu on October 19, 2016, 07:07:13 PM

I want to tell you they have some use.

But they might not.

It is working as intended, it's not working at all!
Or something.
Tbh there needs to be a way to get more spells thats documented or accepted.

I can't really get into details, obviously.  It's not totally useless.  It's just...the circumstances for usefulness have to be fairly contrived.

As long as it has some use and you have a main guild I would consider the system to be working, then.

Quote from: Jihelu on October 19, 2016, 07:44:04 PM

As long as it has some use and you have a main guild I would consider the system to be working, then.

One is useless without 2 other main guild spells I don't get, until I get super bored and decide to suicide my PC.

One could soooorta be useful, but only if I wanted to be a PVP dick.

One is kinda okay, but only useful as a minor convenience vs dumb NPCs.

One only works in certain zones.

One could be useful, but it requires a component, so I can't even test it until I branch comp crafting.

The last is just the generic utility spell that everyone gets.

Like I said...I've gone almost 7 days played without ever using magick for any purpose other than trying to branch something I might use.  I cannot think of -any- subguild that goes 7 days without being used AT ALL.  Especially not one that's karma-restricted.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIoMjfVGBl4

Sorry, couldn't resist. Out of legitimate game-balance curiosity, is this a touched subguild? I'm guessing no, but can't be sure. What Touch are and what they get (And what they're supposed to do with it) remains a mystery to me.

No, it isn't "touched."

October 19, 2016, 08:57:39 PM #16 Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:28:01 PM by Iiyola
I hope I don't sound too negative, but this is just my honest opinion: Personally I'm choosing mundane roles over magick guilds now. I tried the magick, didn't like it. It's very limited imho. Perhaps it was just that one subguild I played but I don't feel very appealed to roll up another magick subguild any time soon. I did give some mild feedback about a spell of the magick guild I was playing but as expected I was told there wouldn't be much change.

I'm a little bit sad about that.
Sometimes, severity is the price we pay for greatness

I have also been choosing mundane roles! But I'm not sure if I wouldn't have been anyway. Hard to say. I really liked elkrans. I'd probably play an elkran in the future if they were still a thing.

Ohoh! And you know what would be really fun but I'm not sure I have the patience for? A nilazi. I totally never really explored that class. Also would like to play halflings because that whole thing sounded like a really great deal, but that's a bit off topic.
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

I'd like to see Nilazi come back, but only if they regenerated magicka by gathering it from Elementalist (N)PCs. They're supposed to be the Elementalists of the Void, the antithesis and predator of all other elements. They were rarely played as such.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on October 19, 2016, 09:07:15 PM
I'd like to see Nilazi come back, but only if they regenerated magicka by gathering it from Elementalist (N)PCs. They're supposed to be the Elementalists of the Void, the antithesis and predator of all other elements. They were rarely played as such.

whatever. how many nilazi did you chill with.
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

Chilled with one known one, observed or heard after action reports of a half-dozen more. Of those who didn't go necrotroll, becoming the personal teleporter unit for the local psion and/or sorcerer seemed the most popular career.

October 19, 2016, 09:16:45 PM #21 Last Edit: October 19, 2016, 09:20:45 PM by path
Quote from: BadSkeelz on October 19, 2016, 09:12:55 PM
Chilled with one known one, observed or heard after action reports of a half-dozen more. Of those who didn't go necrotroll, becoming the personal teleporter unit for the local psion and/or sorcerer seemed the most popular career.

you are such a bitter old jade. i roleplayed with maybe four in all of my days and ohhhhh, man. skeelz, they were so rad. i can't speak to your hearsay.

your idea is not without merit, though. there could be other cool ways for them to regen mana.

Nilazi touched would be scary dudes who magic simply just doesn't effect.

As appealing as more guilds/subguilds would be. I don't think I'll particularly miss Nilazis.
Musashi: You're not witty Toofie.

I want my spooky eldritch mages tho.

I can't speak to game balance or guild/subguild selection, but thematically, nilazi are up there with life-stealing defiler sorcery for the coolness award grand prize. I do hope they stick around. Maybe with a whole new look!