Bodies persist through crashes?

Started by nauta, August 18, 2016, 02:23:19 PM

So, I know that tent objects persist through crashes.  I don't know the code, but if it's as easy as tagging with a tag, here's the proposal:

Bodies (and heads) persist through crashes.

Why?  Well, for one thing, a dead body is a big deal (at least inside the city) plotwise, and there's usually plot stuff involved in it.  Murdering someone means you have to dispose of the body -- and they are heavy, etc.  It's just a shame to have a crash or reboot and lose all those yummy bodies.

I like the time that bodies take to decay (it's quite long), I just wish they'd persist through crashes.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Quote from: nauta on August 18, 2016, 02:23:19 PM
So, I know that tent objects persist through crashes.  I don't know the code, but if it's as easy as tagging with a tag, here's the proposal:

Bodies (and heads) persist through crashes.

Why?  Well, for one thing, a dead body is a big deal (at least inside the city) plotwise, and there's usually plot stuff involved in it.  Murdering someone means you have to dispose of the body -- and they are heavy, etc.  It's just a shame to have a crash or reboot and lose all those yummy bodies.

I like the time that bodies take to decay (it's quite long), I just wish they'd persist through crashes.

I like it.

On two occasions I've lost the heads I needed to collect bounties for because of crashes that happened within 15 - 30 minutes of me taking down my marks. (Luckily the clients trusted me and were willing to roleplay the virtual head.)

Bad luck on my part sure, but a real problem I've seen first hand.

I don't see what it would hurt so I give it a thumbs up.
Quote from: James de Monet on April 09, 2015, 01:54:57 AM
My phone now autocorrects "damn" to Dman.
Quote from: deathkamon on November 14, 2015, 12:29:56 AM
The young daughter has been filled.

I like the idea and honestly wish they took a hell of a lot longer to decompose (only if there were a skill or command that allowed you to dismember/hack up humanoid corpses and maybe bloody stuff in the room it was used in).
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Getting rid of the body in a city should be a BIG deal. Like, roll it up in a rug and say, newp, just helping the tenant move out. emo whistles innocently as ~rug drips.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

Add food decay code to humanoid bodies. Also let them be skinnable so you can chop them up and cart them away (and eat them). Bodies are sort of unrealistically difficult to dispose of because even with pretty good strength a human can't lift another human's body and, say, shove it in an armoire.

Quote from: Dunetrade55 on August 18, 2016, 04:41:53 PM
Getting rid of the body in a city should be a BIG deal. Like, roll it up in a rug and say, newp, just helping the tenant move out. emo whistles innocently as ~rug drips.

There are lots of containers in the game large enough to hold a body.  If it isn't already this way, make it so that <lift>, the half-carry, can be used to put things into objects.  Then you're dragging a chest to the nearest midden heap instead of the body itself.

However, with the lack of forensic evidence in the game aside from what the killer gives freely...the body being found isn't really a big deal.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

August 18, 2016, 05:02:06 PM #6 Last Edit: August 05, 2018, 11:01:47 AM by Molten Heart
"It's too hot in the hottub!"

-James Brown

https://youtu.be/ZCOSPtyZAPA

Ah, yeah, I remember killing my first pc. She came to me to get her leg healed in Tuluk, and I tried to poison her. Ended up killing her in my apartment, and wishing up to get help hacking the body to pieces. Staff was kind enough to load some arms, legs, torso, head, organs, and the like, and put a big ol pool of blood in the middle of the floor. I stuff all the body parts into a barrel, and carried it out. When the NPC giant soldier guarding the apartments asked what I was doing, I had to lie my ass off, and bribe him with a basket of meats and fruits, I think. Eventually, I made it outside, and threw the barrel off to the side of the north road.

That was super fun.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Yes, god yes. It gets awks when you are all around a body and there is a crash, then have to emote dragging it. Also you miss out on the hilarity of not being able to lift the tiny lithe woman with max weight and passive aggressively complaining about her dense bones and large breakfast.

Pretty sure me and nauta did that at least once.

Not sure of the code behind it, as it's almost like a tent in that it's temporary.

I'd like for this to be true too, though.
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

August 19, 2016, 10:03:27 AM #10 Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 10:06:52 AM by nauta
One addendum, although really a separate idea:

Adjust timing so NPCs don't respawn until the body decay timer has expired (somehow).

Nothing more humorous than seeing the blond, blue-eyed elf standing over the body of the blond, blue-eyed elf.

I think this was a result of the zone reload tweak a year or so ago, which caused NPCs to respawn quicker -- or something.

This probably would be complicated, since it'd be limited to humanoid style bodies (city NPCs mostly), as desert animals can respawn over their own corpses without the jarring effect.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

I always wondered why human bodies are SO HEAVY as corpses.

Either Zalanthan PC's are surprisingly weak even with good strength stats or corpses in Zalanthas are A LOT heavier than they are IRL.

One stone is roughly one kilogram.

One kilogram is roughly 2.2 pounds.

Humans weigh on average between 7 ten-stone and 9 ten-stone.

That means humans on the average weigh somewhere more or less between 150 and 200 pounds?

IRL it wouldn't be impossible for me to carry two 150lb people at the same time.

IRL I have on many occasions carried men who weigh more than 200lbs (in some cases upwards of 250 - 270 lbs)...some of them while struggling.

I am not some huge weight lifter. I am not even a power lifter.....Hell, I don't even really lift weights and when I do it isn't super heavy weight.

My characters fight house-sized dinosaurs with bone swords. Needless to say....I'm nowhere near this level IRL.

Why do they have such a hard time lifting 150lb corpses like the corpses are Thor's hammer and they are Loki?

I think the weight of corpses needs to be looked at for humanoids to say the least.

Quote from: Desertman on August 19, 2016, 10:14:47 AM
I think the weight of corpses needs to be looked at for humanoids to say the least.

Yes, please.  I remember on my Sun Runner the awkwardness of carrying back fallen tribemates -- stoicism went out the window as we had to ask outsiders to help us carry the body.

There's also a quasi-bug with subdue (I think at least): you can subdue a living person and run around the desert with no hit to stamina.  But the minute you toss them off the shield wall and go to grab their body: newp!  Moving while having someone subdued should do a mega hit to your stamina.

Quote from: nauta on August 19, 2016, 10:18:49 AM
Quote from: Desertman on August 19, 2016, 10:14:47 AM

Yes, please.  I remember on my Sun Runner the awkwardness of carrying back fallen tribemates -- stoicism went out the window as we had to ask outsiders to help us carry the body.

There's also a quasi-bug with subdue (I think at least): you can subdue a living person and run around the desert with no hit to stamina.  But the minute you toss them off the shield wall and go to grab their body: newp!  Moving while having someone subdued should do a mega hit to your stamina.

Ummm, I believe you already DO take a hit to stamina while moving with someone subdued. I want to say I have seen this work this way on more than one occasion....

However the hit to stamina is nowhere near the hit you take when moving a fully naked corpse (as opposed to subduing a fully geared person, complete with a pack etc.), if you can even somehow lift it.

You can subdue someone and move several "squares". If you can even lift a corpse you are only moving a few "squares", if that before you are completely exhausted.

August 19, 2016, 06:41:23 PM #14 Last Edit: August 19, 2016, 06:43:56 PM by BadSkeelz
The stamina cost for moving while subdue is negligible, if it's even there. I can't recall ever getting tired dragging a subdued person around (even KO'd ones, who would presumably provide as much "dead weight" as a dead body). Human(oid) bodies are incredibly difficult to move around by comparison. You better have exceptional or better strength and hope the deceased set a low stone weight if you ever want to pack them on a mount. And if the deceased is a giant? Best you can do is arrange their corpse in to an amusing ldesc and let decay code do the rest.

Quote from: nauta on August 19, 2016, 10:03:27 AM
One addendum, although really a separate idea:

Adjust timing so NPCs don't respawn until the body decay timer has expired (somehow).

Nothing more humorous than seeing the blond, blue-eyed elf standing over the body of the blond, blue-eyed elf.

I think this was a result of the zone reload tweak a year or so ago, which caused NPCs to respawn quicker -- or something.

This probably would be complicated, since it'd be limited to humanoid style bodies (city NPCs mostly), as desert animals can respawn over their own corpses without the jarring effect.

I don't think there need to be a somehow. You could just make the respawn the exact amount of time it takes for a body, untouched, to fully decompose. That way if it gets disposed of, buried, cremated, you wouldn't have any awkward moments and it would give a nice rebound of time. Not to mention if the street that you murdered a bunch of people looks bare for a good couple days, I think that's in good keeping with how people would realistically treat an alley where eight people got stabbed. Pretty simple fix, as I see it.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.