Psionics: Ideas and discussion on etiquette

Started by Chettaman, August 17, 2016, 10:11:52 PM

I'm not interested in adding more psionic abilities to non-psionicists.

If distances aren't taken into account, I wouldn't mind seeing that (although I've no idea how difficult that would be).
QuoteSunshine all the time makes a desert.
Vote at TMS
Vote at TMC

Rather that developing additional Psionic powers, it would be interesting if instead there was something more akin to a device that could be used to psionically easedrop on people without being a mindbender.

The devices themselves then become valuable, interesting tools that can either be outlawed, controlled, or traded.

There are a few different ways to implement something like this, but I envision them being some kind of psionic "receiver" that's paired with a psionic "bug" that can be dropped in a room or planted on a person that enables you to ease drop on the psionic communications of that person or the people in that location.  It would give burglars and pickpockets a reason to try and break into places or plant things, and it's something that could potentially be discovered through mundane means instead of relying on spooky supernatural things to combat super supernatural things.

Or, or!

Remove the way altogether.  >:(
The Ooze is strong with this one

Quote from: 8bitgrandpa on June 28, 2016, 12:01:20 AM
You are our official hammer, Ooze.

Malachi 2:3

what if it turns out that all sentient races in Zalanthas are actually cyborgs, the way is a radio transmission, and metal items give their wielder a chance to intercept transmissions

Quote from: BadSkeelz on September 22, 2016, 03:39:19 PM
what if it turns out that all sentient races in Zalanthas are actually cyborgs, the way is a radio transmission, and metal items give their wielder a chance to intercept transmissions

I have often pondered biomechanics myself.

My idea was from a position of limited player experience. I'm not saying it's a must have skill but maybe a psionic subguild of some sort?

September 22, 2016, 05:27:30 PM #80 Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 05:31:41 PM by KankWhisperer
People should be able to be in contact with multiple people at once if they choose, while still suffering compounded stun loss.

Benefits : People might pass out and die. People will inadvertently send ways to wrong person even more.

Quote from: KankWhisperer on September 22, 2016, 05:27:30 PM
People should be able to way multiple people at once if they choose, while still suffering the same stun loss.

Benefits : People might pass out and die. People will inadvertently send ways to wrong person even more.

yeah how about no.

the mental focus required to do that seems way beyond any normal beings capabilities.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

Quote from: evilcabbage on September 22, 2016, 05:28:52 PM
Quote from: KankWhisperer on September 22, 2016, 05:27:30 PM
People should be able to way multiple people at once if they choose, while still suffering the same stun loss.

yeah how about no.

the mental focus required to do that seems way beyond any normal beings capabilities.
I modified my post, to say what I intended more clearly.

As a counter argument, How about YES.
If you got the stun to handle it, it doesn't seem any more unrealistic than any of the other shenanigans people get up to.

can family role calls get a family-plan stun-reduction bonus?

More seriously, my own personal choice for improving Psionics is to make as little use of it as possible. Feels more and more like my characters are just using a Zalanthan AIM or something.

it is not about how much stun you have available, it is about the actual talent involved in focusing your mind to such a degree that you can split it amongst -multiple- conversations.

it is not something the average user of the way could do.

The way is very nice for iso roles -- desert elves, wilderness independents, and so on -- where some days your only form of interaction with PCs is via the way.

I wouldn't mind if the way got all funky and hard (more stun) indoors, especially in bars.

I also wouldn't mind an automatic hemote every time someone does 'contact' or 'psi', or perhaps an automatic "think I'm not a statue.  I'm not a statue.  I'm not a statue."
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Before I can have a PC sit and Way four different people at once, I'd like the ability to keep Waying one person while I craft. 
If I can't Way someone while I break a large chunk of stone into smaller shards, I don't see how I should be able to juggle multiple Way conversations, no matter what my stun is.

September 22, 2016, 06:15:20 PM #88 Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 06:17:20 PM by BadSkeelz
I like to think of the Way as at least as taxing, in terms of concentration, as talking on a phone. You should be able to Way while crafting, but it should increase your chance to fail.

I suppose this would be exploitable by metagamers if they're willing to have a ditzy PC who herpderps their way to mastery.

What about if you could only contact clan and people close enough?

Puts too big a wall between new characters and getting hired.

September 22, 2016, 08:01:23 PM #91 Last Edit: September 22, 2016, 08:07:10 PM by Armaddict
Quote from: BadSkeelz on September 22, 2016, 07:38:56 PM
Puts too big a wall between new characters and getting hired.

Or just requires that people who want to hire people go out and look for people and be out and about.  Or that people use aide-like employees more.

I've never really bought into the 'new people need this'. It's only true for as long as we keep things as they are.  If it changes, the game activity changes to compensate.

Edit:  I don't really feel strongly for any of this at all.  But the perceived need of new characters to have some immediacy dictating the entire communication structure seems a little overblown as the best reason.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

SoI just used to have some built in ways to get recruited to some clans or like have recruitment offices that could echo to certain clans.

I also like the idea of having a shorter character limit on ways, like half of what we have now.  More like telegrams than telephones.

RPTR FULL STOP PLZ HLP
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

Keep in mind that the problem the Way has is that it invalidates the scope of possible espionage on Zalanthas. IE there is virtually no risk to communicating via psionics because nobody can intercept that communication and nobody can know that communication ever even happened.

While I think there are a lot of cool ideas floating around here, most don't address issue above.

Making the way more difficult or more inconvenient will not fix the problem. It would just make the way a hassle to use.

I feel that whatever mechanic comes into play, should be widely available. I think anyone can be a spy, and anyone should have the basic tools needed to spy.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on September 23, 2016, 08:49:28 AM
I feel that whatever mechanic comes into play, should be widely available. I think anyone can be a spy, and anyone should have the basic tools needed to spy.

Everyone can be a spy and everyone does have the basic tools, of which the Way is one. A really awesome one. I've read this entire thread and I can't wrap my brain around the issues you're experiencing. Can you mock up some examples for me?

I'd like a spice that heightens the Way and then snuffs it out on the comedown, so you can't contact or psi out for a bit. Drugs!
Quote from: Riev on June 12, 2019, 02:20:04 PM
Do you kill your sparring partners once they are useless to you, so that you are king?

The Way sucks.

The Way is an "awesome" tool in that it allows you to communicate with absolute secrecy and considerable safety over almost any distance. It cannot be intercepted or compromised except by the rarest of individuals. It's great if you want to be that sekret mol in an organization with little chance of being caught, or the leader who has their minions communicate with them strictly via the Way (even in a face to face setting).

For people who think espionage should involve observation and passing of secret messages, with some actual risk to the spy, the Way sucks. For those who find Way roleplay to just be bland and shallow, the Way sucks.

We've talked about this before. My thoughts are largely the same.

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,50384.msg920963.html#msg920963

The Way is fine. It can really suck (mostly for others interacting with your PC), but only if you use it in an extensive or metagamey fashion. And since I can never convince anyone to apply more of a Stick to the playerbase, that's individual players' problem more than the code.

contact templar

psi the large-nosed man, you know, that guy in the black cloak? he carries spice on him, i saw it in his pack.

there is your example.

No channels and no way would be a tough sell. Sure, a few people will get their jollies on their espionage, but I think it would harm playabilit and fun.