Idea: Waiting and RL matchups hindering plots

Started by The Lonely Hunter, August 14, 2016, 12:04:16 PM

Pickpockets can make decent spies as well as providing another coded vector to antagonize enemies besides the mantis head. I know it can be hard to "enjoy" getting stolen from, but it is possible to negotiate by using your head and having the right contacts. Keep in mind having a pickpocket iln the pocket can be a boon when you need to send someone a message. I could say the same thing about powerful clanned PCs having untouchable status and uber leet skills being vexing, there's really no way to take them down a notch without outright eliminating them, and that's kind of sad, because some know they're untouchable and act like it in some seriously rediculous situations.

Pickpockets and burglars are a way to get back at those people with plausible deniability, I think it's funny how when something gets stolen the witchhunt gets fired up almost immediately, that almost for sure gaurentees you're never getting grandpappy's favorite axe back. It sucks getting stolen from but it's to your benefit to have thieves on the payroll, both as a matter of payback, and that the best way I've found to catch a thief is with another thief, and clever negotiation. It adds subtlety and risk in ways other methods do not.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

i sincerely prefer losing everything i own to a thief than to a murderer.
Quote from: Adhira on January 01, 2014, 07:15:46 PM
I could give a shit about wholesome.

August 24, 2016, 02:11:29 AM #102 Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 02:14:00 AM by gotdamnmiracle
Quote from: Dunetrade55 on August 23, 2016, 03:39:57 PM
Also the writs would be a major buff to those with steal/stealth skills. Yoink, jewel encrusted blade, spiked tower shield, and obsidian platemail here I come! Pickpockets would be ever more dangerous... I like the suggestion because it's not foolproof and encourages caution and interaction with groups and potential plots, you could ransom someone's order, or just fence it, or have it delivered to someone you like. I see a lot of potential there.

I've never used the Nenyuk jewelry bank or whatever it is, but perhaps that could provide a useful template.

This is wrong. The person who stole it would still have to pay the amount to the NPC. Kinda defeats the purpose. Unless you're doing some high concept Nobility rivalry/insult thing I see no reason to steal another persons writ. It's not really like the tailor or mount ticket in that aspect.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on August 24, 2016, 02:11:29 AM
Also the writs would be a major buff to those with steal/stealth skills. Yoink, jewel encrusted blade, spiked tower shield, and obsidian platemail here I come! Pickpockets would be ever more dangerous... I like the suggestion because it's not foolproof and encourages caution and interaction with groups and potential plots, you could ransom someone's order, or just fence it, or have it delivered to someone you like. I see a lot of potential there.

I've never used the Nenyuk jewelry bank or whatever it is, but perhaps that could provide a useful template.

This is wrong. The person who stole it would still have to pay the amount to the NPC. Kinda defeats the purpose. Unless you're doing some high concept Nobility rivalry/insult thing I see no reason to steal another persons writ. It's not really like the tailor or mount ticket in that aspect.

You, sir, are mistaken. You pay the amount, but if it's stolen from the courier, then it damages the reputation of the merchant, and if it's stolen from the customer, it means they have to place another order, and just look silly.

Quote from: Dunetrade55 on August 24, 2016, 03:29:13 AM
Quote from: gotdamnmiracle on August 24, 2016, 02:11:29 AM

You, sir, are mistaken. You pay the amount, but if it's stolen from the courier, then it damages the reputation of the merchant, and if it's stolen from the customer, it means they have to place another order, and just look silly.

LOLwat? This is my idea. I'm telling you how it is.

The Merchant sets the price for each writ, and the item is procured only afterward if you are at the shop with:

1. The writ.
2. The money.
He is an individual cool cat. A cat who has taken more than nine lives.

junk writ