Idea for Player File Status

Started by Lizzie, August 04, 2016, 08:28:16 AM

Time cost is incredibly small.  It's using getters that are (or should be) already in the code to retrieve information and put it into strings, then format them.

This is basically a more advanced version of the 'hello world' project.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

I am fundamentally suspicious of anyone but Nessalin and other staff saying "time cost is incredibly small."

Quote from: BadSkeelz on August 08, 2016, 07:51:13 PM
I am fundamentally suspicious of anyone but Nessalin and other staff saying "time cost is incredibly small."

+1
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

Okay.

But in that case, using time consumption as an argument against it, with no knowledge of even the simplistics of the process, is likewise not exactly the greatest.

I do use that argument in some of mine, but that's after evaluating all the ways I can think of for it to impact existing code.

This is plugging a new option into the menu that accesses your pfile information that is already in existence and formats it into a simple readout.

Some of the more extensive options, i.e. Number of warriors, etc, would perhaps require new variables in each pfile and an update to them.

So treating it like some massive resource dump, at least without a staffer calling it that, is a presumption.  However, under the stipulation that it's a purely voluntary project idea for some coding staffer who just wants something smaller to work on, or even to work on while they go through the pfile system anyway...I again point out that there's no real downside to having the idea for it in the same queue as the other projects that are not currently being worked on/will only be worked on with a volunteer or as is convenient.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

All actions take time.

This action has no discernible benefit or payoff compared to other things staff can do.

Therefore it's a waste. At best, I will say I would rather staff work on other things like animations or additional objects in the game than this. Once they're done with that they can work on something like this.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on August 08, 2016, 08:51:14 PM
All actions take time.

This action has no discernible benefit or payoff compared to other things staff can do.

Therefore it's a waste. At best, I will say I would rather staff work on other things like animations or additional objects in the game than this. Once they're done with that they can work on something like this.

...that's...exactly what voluntary and as convenient establishes.  You're just insisting that you put a 'no' in front of it.

Quote from: Armaddict on August 08, 2016, 08:58:09 PM
You're just insisting that you put a 'no' in front of it.

I am admittedly cool with that.

Yeah.  If this was a choice between coding new equipment slots or some metadata thing that half (or more) of us would probably never even use, which would you choose?  That's the point being made.
Where it will go

Quote from: SuchDragonWow on August 08, 2016, 09:57:48 PM
Yeah.  If this was a choice between coding new equipment slots or some metadata thing that half (or more) of us would probably never even use, which would you choose?  That's the point being made.

It isn't a choice between one or the other. It's an idea, that some of us think is a neat idea. No one is asking for the staff to implement it. No one is requesting that the staff set aside some of their time to work on it, or even to discuss it on their staff boards.

Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

While the purpose confuses me, other players seem to like the idea. I guess I can understand how it'd be a neat thing for players. Lizzie says there would also be staff-side benefits, if I'm reading her posts correctly... I'm unsure how exactly that would be of benefit, but one set of possible benefits comes to mind almost immediately. Analyzing player preferences could grant some insight as to that player's playstyle and preferences and how it interacts with the playerbase as a whole, and get a sense for how varied or narrow their character concepts are, which may provide some perspective when making decisions on animations, account notes and karma addition or subtraction, or selection for role calls. If they don't already have a method of pulling up this information quickly and easily, then I can see how this would be a boon.

If they do have one, I suppose the idea is to let a player look over their track record, and would involve less work to implement. One possible benefit I can see is being able to check your track record and make a mental note along the lines of, "Well, looks like I've played a bunch of dwarven warriors, maybe I should try something else to keep things fresh for a bit." or "WOW, I've never had a pickpocket last more than five days played, maybe I need to consider my playstyle if I really want to get in the thick of things."
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

Quote from: Dunetrade55 on August 10, 2016, 11:33:41 AM
While the purpose confuses me, other players seem to like the idea. I guess I can understand how it'd be a neat thing for players. Lizzie says there would also be staff-side benefits, if I'm reading her posts correctly... I'm unsure how exactly that would be of benefit, but one set of possible benefits comes to mind almost immediately. Analyzing player preferences could grant some insight as to that player's playstyle and preferences and how it interacts with the playerbase as a whole, and get a sense for how varied or narrow their character concepts are, which may provide some perspective when making decisions on animations, account notes and karma addition or subtraction, or selection for role calls. If they don't already have a method of pulling up this information quickly and easily, then I can see how this would be a boon.

If they do have one, I suppose the idea is to let a player look over their track record, and would involve less work to implement. One possible benefit I can see is being able to check your track record and make a mental note along the lines of, "Well, looks like I've played a bunch of dwarven warriors, maybe I should try something else to keep things fresh for a bit." or "WOW, I've never had a pickpocket last more than five days played, maybe I need to consider my playstyle if I really want to get in the thick of things."

Bingo, on all accounts.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.