A few thoughts..

Started by Ronin39, August 01, 2016, 04:04:18 PM

Quote from: BadSkeelz on August 03, 2016, 04:39:43 PM
Incidentally, all those soldiers wound up killing each other over their relationships with the last of them fed to my beetle. After getting consent from all present of course (including the beetle). Fun times ;)

YOU ARE WELCOME
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

My name was mentioned so I have to post again, I'm obligated.
And I only suicided that one character that one time.
Not the other one.

I don't think I've directly seen someone sexually harass/threaten rape before ig but I've had friends post a log or two, no meta I swear, that someone was basically THREATENING or saying 'They raped me' and that didn't sit right with me AT ALL.
Not for the morale aspect but for the huge 'You are breaking the rules so hard' aspect.
I usually just say send in a player complaint. That kinda stuff is not okay.

Though I'm not sure how this rape conversation came up, like Yousuff said.

The war beetle says in ooc: "Consent"
This was just generally shittery and meanness, as the problem.
I noticed people starting shit with Ronin but the major problem with it was his replies...didn't make sense. It was hard to understand what he was saying.
I also noticed he was using ooc to say things that should have been discussed ic, if that isn't meta enough, and people who saw it might have cringed as hard as I did when it happened.

It might be the playing from phone thing but you should use a pc if you have one or type out things more clearly so people can understand you better.

Some newbs have it rough. The most we as a playerbase can do is be patient, coach them in proper OOC usage (i.e. direct them to helper chat, ask they keep in-game chatter to a minimum), stick to documentation so as not to sacrifice the essence of the setting, and hope they develop.

Sometimes they won't. Armageddon isn't a game for everyone.

Quote from: BadSkeelz on August 03, 2016, 05:38:19 PM
Some newbs have it rough. The most we as a playerbase can do is be patient, coach them in proper OOC usage (i.e. direct them to helper chat, ask they keep in-game chatter to a minimum), stick to documentation so as not to sacrifice the essence of the setting, and hope they develop.

Sometimes they won't. Armageddon isn't a game for everyone.

I think this about sums it all up.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

I cant believe this thread turned into rape discussion, and then that discussion started to get some forms of political correctness hues. "you've never been sexually harassed, you dont know how it is, so best play on the side of caution".   I've probably never participated in such scenes and probably never will. But I really really reaaaally dislike the "best play safe" concept. It is not what I'd like to govern my character's actions. My character personality, background, and his current situations governs his actions. And those three are governed by the game's theme, lore, and the set rules of the game.   "Best play safe" simply does not fit in any of that in any way.

I apologize for my contribution to the derail.  While I made it clear that I thought it was weird it was being discussed, I also made sure to establish clearly that it wasn't included under my umbrella of 'keep things harsh and gritty'.  It kind of exploded out of a casual mention that such talk happened...and I think it's one of those topics that people are really eager to distance their position from so it made a lot of people vocal.  Sorry!

However, to the original position I had...no, I don't think you should be running around trying to shock the shit out of everyone constantly.  But no, I don't think you should get offended by a notably dark or uncaring character either.  Like D-man said...I really do think a lot of the drill sergeant from Full Metal Jacket, and if those kind of things offend you, I'm sorry.  But I like that there.  It makes it feel more real to me, that someone can be -that big- of an asshole to try and toughen you up.  Not all of them will, but some will.

I just don't think it requires staff attention for you to ooc to someone to say they're being a little extreme for you as far as crudeness/grittiness/whatever.  I also don't see people going out of their way to do this to newbies...which was more common earlier on (people stealing newbie coins was a thing).  So agreed with Badskeelz.  Don't go out of your way to ostracize or 'initiate' a newbie to the ways of Armageddon, but as a community we do have to kind of stick with the idea that this game is pretty hardcore and not for everyone, particularly not someone looking for a light-hearted, casual roleplaying experience.
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

August 10, 2016, 01:00:35 PM #81 Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 01:07:06 PM by Dunetrade55
And this isn't even the guy we <censored> in the <censored> (which, also wasn't sexual in the slighted, despite the censoring making it look that way). Jeez, c'mon man. Give it another shot sometime when you've cooled off.

And as far as the rape derail, it's ok to have rape in your background, most half-elves probably will somewhere. I think asking for consent requires things to go into exacting detail (barring going into detail on rape in your backstory, which I don't think is allowed), not simply a mentioning of skull fucking corpses or rough sex, a joke, or some form of innuendo. If that's the case lets just get it over with and make resurrection a thing, tone everything down by the rules to PG-13?

I'm starting to think the arguments of the "slippery slope" crowd valid in the thread discussing rape. Now, if I'm going to discuss extremely graphic details, or worse, emote them, you can damn sure bet I'll be asking for consent. When it moves past an R-rating is where I draw the line. Rape is clearly off the table and you should never threaten someone with it, whether to their face or behind their back. The Zalanthan definition of rape, to my understanding, is not quite the same as RL rape, as in, your boss making it clear your promotion or hiring comes with some obligated acts is not rape, nor is killing a player character then having your way with their corpse, as now it's an item and not a PC. I think it IS against the rules to make it a "Do this or I'll kill you" situation, so avoid doing that at all costs.

I get that some of you are offended. Zalanthas is a world that's SUPPOSED to offend you in many, many ways. OOC perspectives regarding sexuality derived from modern culture, this does not fit the theme. You seem to be saying death and violence are somehow ok, although some of us find these things shocking and repugnant, they run RAMPANT in game. That's the setting you opted to play in. It offends me, sickens me to my core, but you know what? It's part of the experience, and I'd not trade that simply because it makes me feel ill and icky inside. I've had plenty of loved ones die and it's never easy, and the shock keeps coming back when it happens in game. This game is supposed to shock, terrify, sadden, and evoke the full range of negative emotions, as well as positive ones if you're lucky. If it's not, someone's not doing their job.

As a player, a certain level of sick masochism is a requirement. It's evident in the code, evident in the setting, evident everywhere, really. I mean, it's a game you have to do a bunch of reading before ever getting into even. From my first character onward I've been absolutely bombarded with sick, twisted stuff from all angles, of all kinds. I never felt it out of place (barring a few rare exceptions, where I've had to ponder and accept, yeah, that was probably warranted), and indeed, stepped in EXPECTING it, because I read up on, some of the rules, and caught up on the rest as I played. For me, the game has always been rushing from place to place, looking for a safe place to hide from inevitable and certain doom for my PC and everyone they care about, and manuevering to stall it as long as possible. That's what I signed up for. Players do it to me, staff does it to me, I do it to others, and everyone has a good old time. Conflict abounds! Swathes, nay, hordes of far better people than my PC are cut down rapidly, as I struggle to keep it together and push my survival instincts as far as they can go.

Are we all playing the same game? I'm just curious. Apologies for the rant.

tl;dr all my PCs are assholes out to destroy your asshole PCs that are trying to destroy mine for being an asshole, because you, are an asshole. Justice all around. It's like a post-apocolyptic horror movie that just keeps going and going, with magick, giant spiders, sorcerer kings, ginormous man-eating reptiles, elementals, and sex, because what would a horror movie be without rule number one? There's something in there to make ANYONE feel ill at ease and highly uncomfortable OOCly. The panic, terror, dread, and loathing are all supposed to be there, I assume.

EDIT: Edited to remove something I thought came off as needlessly snarky.
Quote from: Synthesis on August 23, 2016, 07:10:09 PM
I'm asking for evidence, not telling you all to fuck off.

No, I'm telling you to fuck off, now, because you're being a little bitch.

August 10, 2016, 01:24:16 PM #82 Last Edit: August 10, 2016, 01:26:20 PM by Raptor_Dan
Neat.

EDIT: Edited to remove three paragraphs of needless snark, a gif of Tommen jumping out a window, a rant about spiders and insects with ovipositors, and a comparison to the Enterprise.
Quote from: Miradus on January 26, 2017, 11:36:32 AM
I'm just looking for a general consensus. Or Moe's opinion. Either one generally can be accepted as canon.

Quote from: Dunetrade55 on August 10, 2016, 01:00:35 PM
Are we all playing the same game? I'm just curious.

We're not.

We're all playing our own personalized view of the game.

When someone else's personal version of the game collides with ours through role-play/combat/uncomfortable scenes, we find out that the game isn't just about our personal idea of it.

Everyone, unless they are explicitly breaking the rules, is allowed to have and play to their vision of the game and mix their "chocolate" with my "vanilla."  Until it comes to a point where it's rule-breaking or an OOC attack, you will have to deal with said mixing.  Your fun is not of more value than someone else's.

If you do feel an interaction has broken a rule, submit a player complaint and let Staff make the call.  If it comes down that Staff's judgement is not what you wanted and this is unbearable to you, I would suggest taking a break, finding something else to do, learning to cope with the situation or, in the extreme, leaving the game.
Quote from: Dalmeth
I've come to the conclusion that relaxing is not the lack of doing anything, but doing something that comes easily to you.