Delayed Guild/Subguild choice?

Started by nauta, July 11, 2016, 10:05:01 AM

Assassins have a nice set of skills, too, I've found.

Quote from: Jingo on July 13, 2016, 03:04:37 PM
How about everything branches at journeyman EVERYTHING BRANCHES AT JOURNEYMAN

Yes, please.

Quote from: valeria on July 13, 2016, 02:25:06 PM
< has done marchant/tailor and merchant/arumors moths

It saves you time. Depending on your situation and what you want to accomplish with the character, that might be worth a lot more than taking a subguild with skills that are different, but which you never intend to use  :)

Have done this, and recently. 10/10 - no desire to go from novice to master to branch something I don't start with if I can get it another way. And if I want the skill as part of backstory/concept, the overlap is worth it to start with it.
Quote from: Maester Aemon Targaryen
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Everything branching at journeyman would make warriors absurdly strong.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Everything but advanced weapons branching at jman.
Would make warrior still strong.

Isn't this the part where people with the gripe about warrior grinding talk about how that would screw warriors over?

Like... I could be wrong here but I'm not a fan of warriors anyhow. Not enough variety or utility in the skillset for my taste. (I'm not a big fan of super combat oriented roles, so there's that)

Alternately, give certain clans an unlock on certain skills, with a cap at say, mid-journeyman, for skills the pcs wouldn't natively get, to represent shit you ought to know for your role.

Any gmh hunter: skinning and food forage

byn/scorpions/etc: kick and bash

the guild/jaxa pah/other sneakyish clans: hide and sneak

military, ie the arm, the fist, the legions (if tuluk should reopen): scan, bash, bandage making

salarr crafter: armor making, knife making, bow making, fletchery - after you move to full from apprentice crafter, unlock sword making, axe making, spear making club making

kadian crafter: cloth working, dyeing, cooking, jewelry making - after you move to full from apprentice crafter, unlock floristry, brew, instrument making, woodworking

kuraci crafter: tool making, fletchery, bow making, stone working - after you move to full from apprentice crafter, tent making, wagon making, rope making, armor making

Like... obviously that's not comprehensive and it might need retooling, but the clans you work for should, over time, reflect in your ability to do things. I know at least 1 clan in Tuluk gave you a skill just for being part of the clan, so it's not without precedent, and it's not something that can't be done. And it would contribute a lot to the guild system being less limiting in ways that give clans the advantage, especially if you say, unlock only a few of those skills perhaps, an need to lifeswear to really unlock good ones.

Just a thought.
What is honor compared to a woman's love? ...Wind and words. Wind and words. We are only human, and the gods have fashioned us for love. That is our great glory, and our great tragedy.

Advanced weapon skills should be reworked in all honesty. They hardly make much sense as is. Why do I need to be a crusty old vet to pick up a polearm? Knives and sharp blades?
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jingo on July 14, 2016, 02:06:00 AM
Advanced weapon skills should be reworked in all honesty. They hardly make much sense as is. Why do I need to be a crusty old vet to pick up a polearm? Knives and sharp blades?

If I understand the issue properly, this would require a bunch of work in a few areas. There are a whole bunch of swords, and axes, and maces, and spears, but very little to fill out advanced weapon classes, so for them to not be confined to the same three halberds and same ten razors staff (or builders or whoever) would need to do a lot of building.. In an ideal world, we could have warriors pick which weapon skill they want at chargen but this would require a lot of code work as well.

On top of that, making advanced weapon skills more easily available to warriors and nobody else would mean warriors gain a very significant combat advantage over all PCs.

I think it would be a neat thing for Ness and the gang to look at but it's frankly a niche problem and time could better spent on more pressing things.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

"Alternately, give certain clans an unlock on certain skills, with a cap at say, mid-journeyman, for skills the pcs wouldn't natively get, to represent shit you ought to know for your role."

Staff has stated before that this is already the case. Though it may not apply to skills you don't have.

Quote from: Jihelu on July 14, 2016, 09:48:56 AM
"Alternately, give certain clans an unlock on certain skills, with a cap at say, mid-journeyman, for skills the pcs wouldn't natively get, to represent shit you ought to know for your role."

Staff has stated before that this is already the case. Though it may not apply to skills you don't have.

We do have some standards for giving skill *bumps* (not skills necessarily) to apped-in leader PCs, when those skills should be reflective of the PC's prior experience. We do not give skills that are outside of the PC's guild/subguild skillset without a special application, even to leader PCs. There are some clan positions (e.g. Allanaki templar) which have a specific set of skills based on their clan/job.

Just trying to clarify as I think there is a misperception here.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"

Quote from: Talia on July 14, 2016, 11:28:46 AM

We do have some standards for giving skill *bumps* (not skills necessarily) to apped-in leader PCs, when those skills should be reflective of the PC's prior experience. We do not give skills that are outside of the PC's guild/subguild skillset without a special application, even to leader PCs. There are some clan positions (e.g. Allanaki templar) which have a specific set of skills based on their clan/job.

I thought/would have bet my first born child that what I said was basically quoted by staff somewhere on the forums though....
-shrug-

Quote from: Jihelu on July 14, 2016, 05:41:00 PM
Quote from: Talia on July 14, 2016, 11:28:46 AM

I thought/would have bet my first born child that what I said was basically quoted by staff somewhere on the forums though....
-shrug-

http://gdb.armageddon.org/index.php/topic,26799.msg281033.html#msg281033

"4) Send in a separate request asking to be clanned and given instrumentmaking" - From Vanth on making a pc who is part of the bards of poets circle.

I don't know if it's automated or not but the clan conferred the skill for anyone who was part of poet's circle, and that's why the request to make a pc who was preclanned included it.

I didn't know that about the templarate. I was referring to the poet's circle, and thought being clanned it automatically conferred the skill though apparently it was just given manually post clanning.

Now I'm not sure what to think of the idea.

There are no automated processes for adding skills to PCs (other than a script that was/is used to set up Allanaki templars and which still results in buggy skills sometimes). Skill changes must be done manually by an Admin+. Yes, Bards of Poets' Circle is an exception, but has never been automated; I would put that in the "clan positions which have a specific set of skills related to their job" category, as not just anyone/everyone can be a bard--it's by application or audition only. What I am clarifying is that there is no situation where good ol' Amos can pay his 300 'sids to join Clan X as a recruit and be granted an additional skill because everyone in the clan just gets it.
Quote from: Decameron on September 16, 2010, 04:47:50 PM
Character: "I've been working on building a new barracks for some tim-"
NPC: "Yeah, that fell through, sucks but YOUR HOUSE IS ON FIREEE!! FIRE-KANKS!!"