Salt Flats/Custom Forage Seeder/SimDesert Object discussion

Started by Nergal, July 10, 2016, 01:55:49 PM

QuoteThe main script I wrote is called "SimDesert Object". Like "SimDesert", it allows specified objects to spawn throughout the world or within specific areas, according to certain conditions.

can you spawn, snakes/rodents/etc. in city at a high-frequency with this code?
for instance. condition = nighttime, object = snakes, action spawning in labyrinth with a room message as if they are coming from sewers

Quote from: purpledragon on July 10, 2016, 02:20:15 PM
QuoteThe main script I wrote is called "SimDesert Object". Like "SimDesert", it allows specified objects to spawn throughout the world or within specific areas, according to certain conditions.

can you spawn, snakes/rodents/etc. in city at a high-frequency with this code?
for instance. condition = nighttime, object = snakes, action spawning in labyrinth with a room message as if they are coming from sewers

...and use it to better control the over-spawning of other mobs...(cough*hgsoldiers*cough)
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

I think these sound amazing!! I love the idea of being able to directly affect the resources of the world based on PC activity.

You just made me horny, baby.
Yes. Read the thread if you want, or skip to page 7 and be dismissive.
-Reiloth

Words I repeat every time I start a post:
Quote from: Rathustra on June 23, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Stop being shitty to each other.

How would one use a shovel for salt?
Can you now find deposits of salt? Could you always find deposits of salt?
Or is it just like
Use shovel (While in a room with salt)

Nvm
"chances of finding patches of colored salt, "

I like the idea of salt patches too.

I said before worst thing about rolling a character is starting forage skill. I think it should be raised to apprentice so people don't fall asleep at their key board foraging for half a day without result.  Its not really the best of newbie experiences either. Really boring.

Look forward to this change.

I like this. It does seem to favor characters on mounts though. For good or bad I hope some of the methods of coin making around the city are looked at too.

I do look forward to seeing what else can be made from sim-desert 2000.
Now you're looking for the secret. But you won't find it because of course, you're not really looking. You don't really want to work it out. You want to be fooled.

Quote from: Jihelu on July 10, 2016, 02:54:16 PM
How would one use a shovel for salt?
Can you now find deposits of salt? Could you always find deposits of salt?
Or is it just like
Use shovel (While in a room with salt)

Nvm
"chances of finding patches of colored salt, "

You can't forage for salt patches, but you might run into them while traveling in the Salt Flats.

To dig the salt, you can type 'use patch' or 'dig patch' if you're using your hands to dig, or 'use shovel patch' or 'dig shovel patch' to use a shovel to dig.

Do patches come in all colors (not at the same time of course) or only certain ones? Though I suppose this could be found out more ic, I'll make a major salting character some time!

Gotcha.

I like this as it somewhat ends the idea of "Oh I salt all the time I'm rich" but it still rewards people who want to go further into the flats and find the good stuff.

I like this change.  I can't wait to see it implemented for other things.

Plants.  Rare gemstones.  Plants.  Plants.  Soldiers.  Plants.  Edible insects.  Also plants.
Former player as of 2/27/23, sending love.

I think the more random the game can be, the better. Great to see that old script getting some new love. Keep up the good work guys, this old dirt-blooded nerd is loving it.

I've never messed with the salt a lot, mostly because I never cared to but this makes me consider doing so one day.

Can't wait to see this implemented for plants. I'm not even going to pretend for everything else. Plants need this.
All I see turns to brown, as the sun burns the ground
And my eyes fill with sand, as I scan this wasted land
Trying to find, trying to find where I've been.

This is such a good thing.

Will these custom forage tables be random/changing?  I.e. will 'learning' forage rooms still be possible as it has been for a long time, or does this intentionally make foraging harder/more valuable due to unpredictability?
She wasn't doing a thing that I could see, except standing there leaning on the balcony railing, holding the universe together. --J.D. Salinger

This is a good change.

Riding a few rooms east of the city and mindlessly entering the same command with effectively zero risk to generate money in the most effort/risk/reward efficient method was dumb.
All the world will be your enemy. When they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you; digger, listener, runner, Prince with the swift warning. Be cunning, and full of tricks, and your people will never be destroyed.

Quote from: Armaddict on July 10, 2016, 04:14:02 PM
Will these custom forage tables be random/changing?  I.e. will 'learning' forage rooms still be possible as it has been for a long time, or does this intentionally make foraging harder/more valuable due to unpredictability?

It's certainly possible for them to change within a defined set of possibilities, yes.

500% onboard with this and can't wait to see how it impacts the game world. I don't roll combat/foarging NPCs very often, but I can see how this could impact more than just people who do it for money. It's going to have an impact on the ones who buy from them, and an affect on the economy in general. Stoked to see how it goes, and can't wait to see it implemented for plants as well :)

Very nice change. Thank you Nergal and Staff!
"You will have useful work: the destruction of evil men. What work could be more useful? This is Beyond; you will find that your work is never done -- So therefore you may never know a life of peace."

~Jack Vance~

The Kadian salting crew.

Great changes Nergal and co.
At your table, the XXXXXXXX templar says in sirihish, echoing:
     "Everyone is SAFE in His Walls."

I just have to say a bit on testing the SimDesert Object, because it was entertaining and well, doesn't hurt anyone.  So we made a tumbleweed object (someday may come to an area near you!) and this thing can move, and moves around based on all sorts of variable conditions, it's AWESOME.  So Nergal and I were chatting, he was testing the script... I wonder what happens if we put a 1000 tumbleweed or high numbers, I wonder what it would do.  Nergal is like, Oh... it seems to work great!  As thousands of tumbleweed are blowing all over the grasslands as he tests it out.  Ginka 2.0 took that shit like a champ!  (Of course, this was not done on the same instance you all play on.)

Neat little story that I thought to share with you.  The possibilities of these new scripts are endless.
Ourla:  You're like the oil paint on the canvas of evil.

geekgasm over this
Sweet chaos let it unfold upon the land.
Guided forever by my adoring loving hand.
It is I the nightmare that sleeps but shall wake.