Walking

Started by Miradus, June 25, 2016, 10:09:15 AM

Quote from: Jihelu on June 25, 2016, 11:05:59 PM
Well. Not all of the world is a barren wasteland. And even then I thought we adapted to the most of it? I know sure as hell the elves did.
Fuck elves.

I should play a delf one day.

Play a Sun Runner.  All they do is fuck elves.
as IF you didn't just have them unconscious, naked, and helpless in the street 4 minutes ago

i wish coded tribals/people with tribal background got a version of what the delfs get.
Sweet chaos let it unfold upon the land.
Guided forever by my adoring loving hand.
It is I the nightmare that sleeps but shall wake.

People with nomad/nomadic as a starting background should get what rangers get in stamina loss in the desert.
Rangers with nomadic?
Make them traverse the desert even better!

Quote from: Miradus on June 25, 2016, 01:59:03 PM
Consider the added bonuses to wearing armor versus not.

If I head out into the desert in my silk briefs I'm going to get beat to hell. Probably won't make it back and Joe Grebber in scrab shell armor is going to loot my silk briefs and wear them back to town on his head.

This is because there is no skills raised by not wearing armor. My agility will never increase as a result of not wearing armor. I guess technically my defense might but otherwise there's no benefits.

So I posit this: the base code is not sophisticated enough to allow for attribute gain or any other benefits by not treating it like a hack and slash.

In other words, if I walk everywhere and survive for 20 IG years my endurance isn't going to go up and I'm not going to get more movement points. At the end of it I will codedly gain no advantages over the guy who rode around on the traditional war beetle.

You don't need armor to survive in combat. It helps. Let me tell you, It helps in several ways that I've noticed, but only if you plan on getting hit.

If you so choose to traverse certain japan-like areas of this game world on foot or mounted you will notice the similarities to reality.
If you so choose to traverse desert-like areas of this game world on foot or mounted you will notice the similarities to reality. *note similarities aren't perfect depictions of reality

True, though. Stamina loss happens at a great rate in both/most areas.

My argument to people's "no to increased stabling fees and such" isn't a good one, but I wanna say it still:
You're just gonna run up on a corpse with like three of these things for free anyway.
You're gonna join a house where they have more tickets than they know what to do with.
You're gonna be some nothing commoner who should be sttruggling... Ah. I'm seeing the point now. I don't wanna force people to /actually/ struggle. PFFFFT... After at least two minutes to think that over. (and I really did take some time to reconsider my position) - seriously. I've been calling you lot pansies for how long. You can survive on foot traveling from here to there - especially if you do it with others. ESPECIALLY.
the only people this would affect greatly would be those casual players. Those people who may not be able to earn so many funds but want to travel all willy-nilly and/or those who would travel on foot, and admittedly it takes a while on foot. (with the way regen works now).

I'm still going to call you pansies.
Live like God.
Love like God.

"Don't let life be your burden."
- Some guy, Twin Warriors

I just don't wanna be looked at like I'm the craziest person in the known cause I walk within 4 rooms of the gates.

Quote from: Jihelu on June 26, 2016, 01:33:28 AM
I just don't wanna be looked at like I'm the craziest person in the known cause I walk within 4 rooms of the gates.

I don't know why this would be happening to you at all. MOST characters I see within half a dozen rooms from the gate, at any given moment, are on foot. The only ones I see mounted are on their way to or from a longer journey.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

What if there was a mount that wasn't totally mindless and would resist someone's attempts to steal it?

That'd be a highly coveted mount.

Make it a well trained subspecies or breed of something else, and charge like 5000 sid for one.

You could get off of it in the wilds and leave it in a spot and be pretty confident that it won't have been easily stolen when you come back; if someone does try to steal it, they'd first get a stern warning from the animal, and if further attempts are made, would risk being attacked by it (sort of like taming a wild mount) and if it were a beast in combat, all the better.

It'd imprint on someone after being purchased and the owner would get a special message... maybe psionics could be involved.
Useful tips: Commands |  |Storytelling:  1  2

In no way would I want to see mounts or stabling hit with any change. Nor was my purpose to increase or promote walking in any way.

Lately I have been more afoot with a couple of characters, and each time people would pass by and sort of have a little IC freakout about it. "Don't you know you're going to get eaten?" or "Are you a gick?""

Where it seemed to me to be a perfectly natural thing to do and not at all that dangerous so long as I don't act stupid. It's nice every now and then to get away from the burden of maintaining a mount.

Quote from: Miradus on June 26, 2016, 09:35:24 AM
In no way would I want to see mounts or stabling hit with any change. Nor was my purpose to increase or promote walking in any way.

Lately I have been more afoot with a couple of characters, and each time people would pass by and sort of have a little IC freakout about it. "Don't you know you're going to get eaten?" or "Are you a gick?""

Where it seemed to me to be a perfectly natural thing to do and not at all that dangerous so long as I don't act stupid. It's nice every now and then to get away from the burden of maintaining a mount.

It's not just that you have no mount. It's that you're out of the city, ALONE, without a mount. ICly, the most common siting of people out of the city, alone, without a mount, will be a) raiders with friends hiding nearby, b) solo raiders, c) magickers, and d) characters played by new players who don't know that being alone, outside the city without a mount can be risky.
Talia said: Notice to all: Do not mess with Lizzie's GDB. She will cut you.
Delirium said: Notice to all: do not mess with Lizzie's soap. She will cut you.

Quote from: Lizzie on June 26, 2016, 07:55:40 AM
Quote from: Jihelu on June 26, 2016, 01:33:28 AM

I don't know why this would be happening to you at all. MOST characters I see within half a dozen rooms from the gate, at any given moment, are on foot. The only ones I see mounted are on their way to or from a longer journey.

I meet other people all the time, most usually just salting and I never give them that stigma and they never give it back, but others.
Eh.
People are strange.

I can see that in the south, but not the north.

The canyons north of Luir's are a 3d environment. A person with a mount is like a lobster crawling on the bottom of the ocean.

The scrub plains and grasslands have tons of places to sit and rest "safely". And some places you can't take a mount with you.

Elves go about on foot. You want to be some kind of dirty elf?
Quote from: MorgenesYa..what Bushranger said...that's the ticket.